Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

RAID 1 on Boot volume?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
RAID 1 on Boot volume?
mkalus

Send a message via AIM to mkalus  
2005-04-26, 13:33

I wonder if anybody has experiences with running a RAID 1 on a Powermac boot drive? Is it possible?

Also, how many disks can I put into a G5 Powermac? I will order one as soon as the new modles are out and I wonder if there is still a limit of three disks total (plus DVD/CDROM)?
¡Damned!

2005-04-26, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkalus
I wonder if anybody has experiences with running a RAID 1 on a Powermac boot drive? Is it possible?
I'm not sure what you mean. You'll need at least two drives to run RAID1. Do you just want to keep a running backup?
Quote:
Also, how many disks can I put into a G5 Powermac? I will order one as soon as the new modles are out and I wonder if there is still a limit of three disks total (plus DVD/CDROM)?
There's room for 1 more internal SATA drive in the G5 after the stock boot drive. Although, there are a couple of 3rd party solutions that allow you to add more. G5Jam will get you two more internals, and the SwiftData 200 will get you three. Of course, you'll need an additional SATA PCI card for either.

So it goes.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-04-26, 15:57

If you are contemplating using one of those mentioned products to put more drives in and a PCI card for the extra SATA port, then I recommend spending some time looking into compatible hardware RAID solutions.

Software RAID obviously takes a small amount of CPU activity, and I am not 100% sure it can be done on the boot volume!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!