User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Nintendo 'Revolution'

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Nintendo 'Revolution'
Devils_Tech

2005-04-30, 05:15

Im currently doing an assignment on the latest technology and had to pick a product.
I was wondering if anyone knew some good sites about Nintendo's next generation console which has been code named 'Revolution' including the Broadway chip that IBM will be producing

Any help?

Thanx
ZogDog

2005-04-30, 11:18

Apple rumors? Apple is buying Nintendo? That's the revolution?!?! The g5 IS the processor in the new Nintendo system? Rad!
altoids

2005-04-30, 11:47

wouldn't it be easier to pick a product that's on the market already, or at least has enough solid evidence of specs for future development. it just seems it would be harder to build a school project around speculation.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-04-30, 11:52

No one knows all that much about revolution as of now, but E3 is coming up in a few weeks, and we should know a lot then.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-30, 18:59

I found a link over at bluesnews.com that linked to joystiq.com IIRC that says that Nintendo's Revolution will NOT be on display at E3. The supposed line is that it is SO revolutionary they don't want to give up it's coolness so far away from retail introduction.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-04-30, 19:07

lame.
rasmits
rams it

2005-04-30, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZogDog
Apple rumors? Apple is buying Nintendo? That's the revolution?!?! The g5 IS the processor in the new Nintendo system? Rad!
G5 is the processor in the xbox 360... Microsoft sent out PowerMac G5's running a custom kernel of Windows NT for xbox developers.

There, I turned this into an Apple thread. And it's true too.
defaultmike

2005-05-01, 02:37

wait...
1) microsoft has a custom NT kernel running on a G5....
2) microsoft currently sells Virtual PC, which is a windows emulation that runs on G5s

so why the heck doesn't microsoft kill the development of virtual PC, which blows and starts developing a windows that actually runs on a G5?
LAmezq3984

2005-05-01, 02:47

Go watch Aliens of the Deep: Presented in IMAX 3D, and you will SEE what the nintendo revolutions, "revolution" is.
Devils_Tech

2005-05-01, 03:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoids
wouldn't it be easier to pick a product that's on the market already, or at least has enough solid evidence of specs for future development. it just seems it would be harder to build a school project around speculation.
no it has to be a product thats not on the market...which makes it hard and for

"I found a link over at bluesnews.com that linked to joystiq.com IIRC that says that Nintendo's Revolution will NOT be on display at E3"
Sony and Microsoft are going to be there, so most people are thinking Nintendo will be there too even though they say they arent going to be.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-05-01, 04:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultmike
wait...
1) microsoft has a custom NT kernel running on a G5....
2) microsoft currently sells Virtual PC, which is a windows emulation that runs on G5s

so why the heck doesn't microsoft kill the development of virtual PC, which blows and starts developing a windows that actually runs on a G5?
because only the xbox development applications run on it, not just any windows software like office or the latest virus.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-01, 06:48

Yes, but since everything will soon be done in .Net, that won't be a problem anymore! Seriously, MS has at least a working version of Windows CE for PPC (for the XBox), and with the development of Longhorn, they could also target PPC hardware - if they wanted to. But I guess they are tied to Intel too strongly to do that - or maybe not?
joebells

2005-05-01, 08:31

how many people that have a mac are going to install windows instead of osx though. I think microsoft realises that it wouldn't be a worthwhile investment.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-05-01, 17:21

I would install both.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-01, 17:30

Even if there was a new version of Windows on PPC what app provider would port/recompile their programs for PPC?
Henriok

Send a message via AIM to Henriok  
2005-05-03, 12:34

Back on topic.. There's virtually NO data on Nintendo Revolution besides it's name and that it's most likely PowerPC based. Since this is fact, the prospect of writing an essay on the topic seems a bit hard.

Why not write an essay on Cell instead? There's plenty of information on cell technology.
Switch

2005-05-05, 09:03

Yes, it is said that the G5 will be the processor featured in the Revlution... Which is VERY wierd to like, "interbreed" different companies parts - especially Apple and Nintendo.. so different, the two are.
davidbaldwin

2005-05-05, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch
Yes, it is said that the G5 will be the processor featured in the Revlution... Which is VERY wierd to like, "interbreed" different companies parts - especially Apple and Nintendo.. so different, the two are.
Umm, correct me if i am wrong, but isn't the G5 made by IBM?

oh, and anybody can buy a G5 Even Nintendo
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-05, 16:38

Well nintendo used PowerPC in the Gamecube(something not unlike a g3), and I believe the N64 used an RISC based processor similar to the PPC architecture, so it's not without precedent.

And apple and nintendo have at least one thing in common, damn secrecy regarding their products.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-05-05, 19:05

Yeah, the PowerPC is really awesome and flexible, and as a result, is used in a lot of different places. Heck, even a certain Mars rover used an IBM RS6000 (essentially a PPC 601, I think).
VL-Tone

2005-05-05, 23:46

I think you'll find the most info in this multiple page FAQ at:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/522/522559p1.html

from the FAQ:

Rumors abound indicated that Nintendo could separately be working on two systems and that ultimately one would be chosen for retail. System 1 allegedly featured a 2.7GHz PowerPC G5 processor, 512MBs of RAM, and a 600MHz graphics chip. System 2 allegedly featured dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5 processors. 256MBS of DDR Main Memory RAM, 128MBS of GDDR3 Video RAM and a 500MHz graphics chip. Both systems allegedly featured a built in 15GB hard drive. As of this time, these rumors cannot be validated.

As for confirmed stuff:

In March 2005, Nintendo confirmed that both IBM and ATI would supply the CPU and GPU respectively for the Revolution console.

The IBM-created CPU is called Broadway. The ATI-developed GPU is called Hollywood. At the March 2005 Game Developers Conference, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata explained the reasoning behind the titles.

"With IBM, we are creating Revolution's core processor, which we have codenamed Broadway because Broadway is the capital of live entertainment," he said. "With ATI, we are developing the graphics chipset, codenamed Hollywood because Hollywood is the capital of movie entertainment. With Revolution, we are determined to create the new capital of interactive entertainment."

It was also confirmed by the big N itself that the Revolution will be backward compatible with GameCube software. Since the GC uses a modified G3 and that Nintendo is still working with IBM, it's pretty obvious that the Revolution's cpu will also be PowerPC based.

The Cell processor to be used in the PS3 is also based on the PPC so it means all three next-generation consoles will use PPC variants. It will get harder and harder for Mac bashers to dismiss the PPC platform.

VL-Tone
-----------
Metroid Cubed and StarFox level editor beta
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2005-05-07, 19:42

For speculation purposes - regarding backwards compatibility with Gamecube, that's cool. But then if the Xbox 360 is going to use PPC chips too, does that mean it won't be backwards compatible with the (Intel-powered) Xbox?

And on a side note, the new consoles are going to force me to buy an HDTV. I can sense it.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-08, 02:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly
For speculation purposes - regarding backwards compatibility with Gamecube, that's cool. But then if the Xbox 360 is going to use PPC chips too, does that mean it won't be backwards compatible with the (Intel-powered) Xbox?

Hey, that's a good point, I never really thought about that. Microsoft knows that backward compatibility is really important(one of the main reasons the PS2 is so astoundingly popular) So I'm sure they are working out whatever they can to enable backwards compatibility.

Quote:
And on a side note, the new consoles are going to force me to buy an HDTV. I can sense it.
d'oh!
VL-Tone

2005-05-08, 03:36

Remember that Microsoft now owns Virtual PC and the first XBox was running on a Pentium...

Maybe they have problems getting acceptable performance and that's why backward compatibility on the XBox 360 is still not official (correct me if I'm wrong) and may be dropped if they don't have enough enough time until the release.

VL-Tone
-----------
Metroid Cubed and StarFox level editor beta
Henriok

Send a message via AIM to Henriok  
2005-05-08, 06:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly
From the start Xox 360 will be sold in two versions, one with hard drive and one without. the one with hard drive will be able to run old Xbox-games, so I gather that they will load the hard drive with emulation software.