User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPod USB connection problems

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod USB connection problems
Jagariko

2005-05-09, 12:41

My iPod and my computer are having trouble communicating. Sometimes my computer recognizes my iPod when it is plugged in and sometimes it doesn't. The iPod always recognizes when it is plugged in to the computer so the USB cable must be working. Usually it is able to charge although I am dubious since I used it today and when I plugged it in the iPod said it was completely charged. Anyhow, I don't want to merely charge my iPod, I want to be able to update my songs etc. so I need my computer to make friends with my iPod and let it show up on iTunes again.

I am using a HP Pavilion dv1010us (I know, I know, not an Apple but as it was a gift I was happy to get it). Using the "Device Manager," under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" it lists: Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller -24CD, Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB 2.0 Universal Host Controller -24C2, Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB 2.0 Universal Host Controller -24C4, Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB 2.0 Universal Host Controller -24C7, and four USB Root hubs. I have no idea what that stuff truly means but it seems that I ought to be able to use a USB cable to connect my iPod to my computer several times over. I've tried it however in every single port marked with the USB icon and it's not being recognized no matter what I do. I've contacted HP technical support but they had no idea what was going on. I am at my wit's end. Any advice would be much appreciated.