User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

100% processor load when replying...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
100% processor load when replying...
ZO

2004-07-13, 08:08

I have Pith Helmet installed but havent really entered any specific attributes...

Everything slows to a crawl when replying. This is just like it was in AI.

What the heck do you admins do to these boards?

I think it was a rogue java script or something...

annoying as hell...

I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-13, 08:22

ZO: From what I understand, it's the animated smilie buttons to the right of the text entry window that cause the spike in processor load. I understand there's a way to turn them off in your preferences but haven't bothered to track it down.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-07-13, 08:31

I know that this is no help, but this is one of the reasons that I stopped using Safari.
Wish that I could help out somehow.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-13, 08:35

I do believe you can actually turn off GIF animations using PithHelmet. There should be an option to "Play normally," "Play once," and "No animation."
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-13, 08:41

It's the animations. Animated GIFs have been CPU whores in Safari since 1.2 was released. Having more than just one or two on a page will peg the CPU(s) and even make typing of the page unbearable.

Anyone here have 10.4 Tiger? Has this Safari bug finally been fixed?

As Luca said, it is possible to disable animated GIFs with PithHelmet. I use Safari all the time with that option set and don't have any problems at all.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ZO

2004-07-13, 11:59

test....

hah! it verks! it verks!!!
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-13, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
As Luca said, it is possible to disable animated GIFs with PithHelmet.
Alright, Brad and Luca. Now I'm interested too. I just recently installed PithHelmet now that it is compatible with my system/Safari version. PithHelmet is a true godsend. Now how do I filter out animated GIFs? I can't even find PithHelmet in my Applications folder anymore.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-13, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher
I can't even find PithHelmet in my Applications folder anymore.
PithHelmet doesn't go in the Applications folder.

Re-read the installation instructions.

Once it's installed, open Safari and go to the preferences. Click the PithHelmet icon and choose "Once" or "Never" from the menu next to Play Animated GIFs.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-14, 08:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
PithHelmet doesn't go in the Applications folder.

Re-read the installation instructions.
I figured that PithHelmet was a plug-in when I ran the installer, but didn't want to deal with tracking down the installation instructions. Thank you, Brad, for not telling me to RTFM.

Quote:
Once it's installed, open Safari and go to the preferences. Click the PithHelmet icon and choose "Once" or "Never" from the menu next to Play Animated GIFs.
This plug-in architecture is just so smart and efficient. Let's hope the blocking of animated GIFs helps keep my 12-inch PowerBook cool. Thank goodness, the days of stand-alone extensions, control panels, and the ensuing conflicts are gone and forgotten!

Escher