Macs With Apple Silicon

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Macs With Apple Silicon
Page 5 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

Yesterday, 08:53

At least they called it M1X in the article. I'm good now.
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

Yesterday, 09:34

I think any one of us here could've been the "source" in that article.

In related news, water often tends to be wet.

But seriously, I think big, cool things are coming next year and the other Macs will see even bigger leaps (and for the $$$ involved, they should), no matter what the thing is called. Exciting times to be a Mac user, especially those of us who run a lean, clean setup without a lot of third-party reliance/usage and who don't have the need/desire to run Windows on our Macs).

I'm excited.

It feels like I'm coming out of a dark tunnel here lately...Fender is making some amazing stuff, Star Wars doesn't suck and Apple seems to be focusing on more than just iPhones and watch bands.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
Yesterday, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
It feels like I'm coming out of a dark tunnel here lately...[..] Apple seems to be focusing on more than just iPhones and watch bands.
Yeah, it really felt like Apple made a lot of poor decisions between 2013 and 2016. Trash can Mac Pro, butterfly keyboard (especially not just on the 12-inch MacBook, but every single laptop!), etc.

Then, since 2017, much better decisions like the iMac Pro and Mac Pro, a better keyboard, etc.

Hard to say from the outside looking in how much of this was already in the works in an era that was externally not so popular.
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

Yesterday, 10:24

And that those poor decisions seemed to always tie to "design" (specifically "how impossibly - and unasked for - thin can we get this?", which seemed headed up/obsessed over by one person over all the others) was jarring. I've always heard - even from those keynote videos from Ive himself - about how "good design" is the blend of form and function.

Somewhere along the way, the "function" part seemed to take a backseat. And those products you mentioned should be some evidence of that.

No reasonable customer is sweating/squawking over millimeters or grams if it impacts negatively on their day-to-day usage and experience. There is a line, in anything, that is "too far". And I think, on several occasions, they blew right past it at 185mph in some self-imposed race to be The Thinnest & Lightest Everything, Ever™.

And most people couldn't have given less of a rip, big picture. If Apple never made any of their current products one bit thinner, or lighter, than they are right this minute, 98% of the Apple-using population wouldn't care. Or wouldn't even know. I'd wager a lung on that. There is nobody on the planet saying "damn, Apple's stuff is just way too bulky and heavy...why can't they ever design some lighter, sleeker products?!"

"We made the new Apple Pencil 1mm thin. It doesn't work 42% of the time, but that's the price you pay for good design." - Jony Ive

I got fed up with his shit about eight years ago.

Bug off already. Go design a $1,875 coffee urn ($700 wheels optional) that doesn't pour smoothly/reliably, and made with minerals from Jupiter and recycled angel harps, if that's what you think the world needs. I've never been happier to see someone depart the company, frankly.

Last edited by pscates2.0 : Yesterday at 10:51.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

Yesterday, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Bug off already. Go design a $1,875 coffee urn ($700 wheels optional) that doesn't pour smoothly/reliably, and made with minerals from Jupiter and recycled angel harps, if that's what you think the world needs. I've never been happier to see someone depart the company, frankly.

I love it when you start ranting!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
Yesterday, 13:44

So how do you really feel?
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

Yesterday, 14:43

Exactly as I wrote above. Read again, if needed.
Frank777
Veteran Member

Yesterday, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Then, since 2017, much better decisions like the iMac Pro and Mac Pro, a better keyboard, etc.
If Apple really debuts a smaller Ax Mac Pro to replace the iMac Pro, they are truly going to be on a roll.
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

Yesterday, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
...they are truly going to be on a roll.
Yes, they will...for $699.

I'm here all week.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
Yesterday, 15:51

I missed these types of posts. Makes the place so lively.