Musicals, plays, operas, dance, junkies, Egyptians

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Musicals, plays, operas, dance, junkies, Egyptians
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-05, 15:57

First Part:

I am curious first about AN members' experiences and preferences with regard to musicals, plays, operas, ballets, modern dance and/or ethnic dance performances, symphony orchestra performances, chamber music, and any other similar (NON-ROCK-CONCERT) type stage performances.

I'd like to know *what* you have seen, what you enjoyed/loved/hated the most, what qualities most appeal to you about such performances, and why you'd recommend (or *not*) such performances to others.

Partly because of the small-town type places I have lived in my life, and partly because of a deficiency in this part of my formal education, I find that I am not a very *cultured* person.

This hasn't bothered me much during the course of time ; and up to now, I haven't sought to remedy the situation. But now, various cultural avenues are becoming more readily accessible to me, and I'm interested in what sorts of cultural performances AN members enjoy.

I have never particularly liked movies that were musicals, for example. I *do* like The Sound of Music, and My Fair Lady, because of the stories, the settings, the costumes, and yeah, okay, the songs. But generally, I never rent movies that are musicals. I guess I just hate to have a good story interrupted by someone *singing about it*, for godssake.

However, plenty of other people seem to like that sort of thing, so I figure the defect in appreciation lies with me. I have a chance soon to 'experience' stage productions of the following musicals: HMS Pinafore, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, and Aida (Elton John version).

My question is that if I normally shy away from musicals for the reason I gave above, will it be torture to experience these productions? As with most stuff, tickets need to be bought way in advance, so I need to decide now about those three performances.

Just thought some of you might be able to give me some input on *your* feelings, experiences, and preferences wrt ANY of the various kinds of stage performances I mentioned at the top (because now ALL are available to me). Thanks for any replies.

Second Part:

If you have time, please list the "other kinds" of concerts you have attended - rock, blues, jazz, anything at all. Thanks.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-05, 16:17

I just stumbled onto this story about Lestat, for those of you who have ever read the Anne Rice vampire series.

Looks like it might be pretty interesting.

http://www.lestat.com/story.php
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-04-05, 17:00

Whoa, Nelly... You tryin' to class up this joint?

Carol, I am absolutely disappointed in you...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-05, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
Whoa, Nelly... You tryin' to class up this joint?

Carol, I am absolutely disappointed in you...
Not I, cupcake.

I ain't got no class.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-05, 17:56

I just missed seeing Stomp!

I would *really* like to have seen that.

Has anyone seen it?

Was it worth seeing?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-04-05, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Not I, cupcake.

I ain't got no class.
Yeah, Teach is on sabbatical.

Considering catching Dave Brubeck soon... I'm not a *huge* jazz fan, but hey, he's a Big Name and all, and it's a neat little cozy venue.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-05, 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Yeah, Teach is on sabbatical.

Considering catching Dave Brubeck soon... I'm not a *huge* jazz fan, but hey, he's a Big Name and all, and it's a neat little cozy venue.
Cool.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-04-05, 19:09

Quote:
I have never particularly liked movies that were musicals, for example. I *do* like The Sound of Music, and My Fair Lady, because of the stories, the settings, the costumes, and yeah, okay, the songs. But generally, I never rent movies that are musicals. I guess I just hate to have a good story interrupted by someone *singing about it*, for godssake.
Stay away from movies from India if you don't like musicals. Every one of them is a musical
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-04-05, 19:15

going to see hairspray tonight with my daughter

we go to lots of plays and various dance and stuff

plays i remember in town..phantom, 42nd street, the producers, larime project, rent and a ton of others...usually the national touring production at popejoy theater

in NYC...lion king, beauty and the beast...my wife and girls have gone to many more (the full monty, les mis and cats and such), but they use to go to NYC for a show once or twice a year

other shows...harlem dance troupe, this japanese dance troup i can;t remember the name of, usually the russian troupe doing the nutcracker each christmas

would put more down, but gotta head to the theater for the 7:30 showing of Hairspray....

we, as a family go to lots of theater...my kids are fairly cultured and fairly spoiled...it's a tough life but somebodies got to live it...

as for rock and pop and jazz...we go to tons of those shows too...though my kids will rather skip the jazz and i'm going to see dylan next week with my mom instead of my wife or kids because...well because it's dylan and they don't really care for him

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-04-05, 19:26

I've never actually seen a musical (live), but I've been in the orchestra for my high school drama department for both Bye Bye Birdie and Sweet Charity (standard high school drama productions).

Recently I saw the Air Force band when they performed in San Francisco.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-05, 19:27

Well, I've seen so few cultural things.

"Swan Lake" in New York City.

"Cats", NYC.

"Carmen" at the Santa Fe opera.

As for theater, just saw a currently traveling British production with Lynn Redgrave of "The Importance of Being Earnest". She was *fantastic*!

Going to the theater this weekend for a local production of a play about Sherlock Holmes.

Also, just got invited to the ballet for Sat. night, about five minutes ago. Hmmm.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-05, 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj
Stay away from movies from India if you don't like musicals. Every one of them is a musical

Haha. Okay, thanks for the tip, Foj.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-05, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
we, as a family go to lots of theater...my kids are fairly cultured and fairly spoiled...it's a tough life but somebodies got to live it...
Wow, that's great, g.

I *so* wish my parents had been like that, but they weren't.

Your daughters are lucky. Do they realize how fortunate they are? Do they seem a lot different from friends their age, or are their friends equally cultured?

I just remembered seeing a touring stage production of "The Elephant Man" years ago. Don't really remember it too well.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-04-05, 19:46

Quote:
My favorite musical is "South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut". The ones you mentioned aren't bad either.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-04-05, 19:52

I saw a play in Washington D.C. called Shear Madness. It was a comedy/murder mystery that takes place in a hair salon. Somehow, one of the characters kills an old lady that lives above the salon. Towards the end, they let the audience pick who they thought was the killer and did the ending according to who was picked.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-04-05, 19:59

My sister has spent a good chunk of her life *doing* theater. I grew up in a household in which regular trips to plays, musicals, operas, ballets, etc were par for the course...

If I had the money or time, I would continue to go to live performances, but as I am a grad student... I have neither...

I cannot list the number of productions I have seen. I can barely recall the number of productions I have *been in*...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-04-05, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj
Hey man! Don't be dissing on the Bollywood!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2006-04-05, 20:33

My wife and I both really enjoy the orchestra. We've had season tickets to the the National Arts Centre Orchestra for many years, so it is a regular part of our lives. The cost...not much. The seats are much (much, much) cheaper than Senators hockey tickets and overall, more enjoyable. Some people mentioned the cost here...think again. Most orchestra tickets are pretty reasonable...and many have special deals for students.

So I say...support your local orchestra. Or your local jazz scene. Or your local rock or hip-hop . Or your local live theatre. Electronic reproduction is fine...but, there is nothing like the live performance. The performers are almost always really putting their heart into it, and often for little monetary reward.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-04-05, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Hey man! Don't be dissing on the Bollywood!
Actually, I rather like Bollywood!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-05, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
My sister has spent a good chunk of her life *doing* theater. I grew up in a household in which regular trips to plays, musicals, operas, ballets, etc were par for the course...

If I had the money or time, I would continue to go to live performances, but as I am a grad student... I have neither...

I cannot list the number of productions I have seen. I can barely recall the number of productions I have *been in*...
What do you mean, 'been in'? You mean like acted in plays, or what?

I think that's really cool, billybobsky.

What role do you remember liking a lot?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-05, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
My wife and I both really enjoy the orchestra. We've had season tickets to the the National Arts Centre Orchestra for many years, so it is a regular part of our lives. The cost...not much. The seats are much (much, much) cheaper than Senators hockey tickets and overall, more enjoyable. Some people mentioned the cost here...think again. Most orchestra tickets are pretty reasonable...and many have special deals for students.

So I say...support your local orchestra. Or your local jazz scene. Or your local rock or hip-hop . Or your local live theatre. Electronic reproduction is fine...but, there is nothing like the live performance. The performers are almost always really putting their heart into it, and often for little monetary reward.
Yay! That's telling us, Chinney.

Well, I may be starting to do my part.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-04-05, 20:53

Quote:
Going to the theater this weekend for a local production of a play about Sherlock Holmes.
I'd love to go see that. Holmes mysteries are a favorite of mine.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-05, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj
I'd love to go see that. Holmes mysteries are a favorite of mine.
Oh, I am a *major* Holmes fan. Just *love* the stories.

Have most of the Jeremy Brett BBC Holmes series.

(I love the sound of the horse's hooves on the cobblestone streets of London during the opening credits. )

I'm such a sucker for anything from 19th century Britain.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-04-05, 21:07

Quote:
What do you mean, 'been in'? You mean like acted in plays, or what?

I think that's really cool, billybobsky.

What role do you remember liking a lot?

Yeah, I have acted in plays and stuff...

Nothing too literary (I don't recall the names of the plays its been a while)...

The only character who I recall really enjoying was a teenager who absolutely refused to tie his shoes -- I tended to take aspects of the characters after I played them -- the lack of shoe tying was one of those things....
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-05, 21:28

Omigosh! Whoa!

The "ballet" I thought I was going to is actually a modern dance production.

Topless.

Eat your hearts out, guys! (Especially you, Kickaha! ) hahaha

Yeah, yeah... that's a female.

(You can tell by her wrists. )
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-04-05, 21:44

It's funny that you should start this thread. I just watched the Phantom of the Opera movie and I needed a good place to vent about it. I've never seen the play, but I've been listening to the original cast soundtrack since it came out. So I have a bit of a Crawford/Brightman bias. Though I've never heard a better Phantom.
The movie was both terrible and great. They cast the phantom as an animal more than anything else. His voice would go flat and crack in a weird way that resembled howling. And the inability to sing. It's hard to believe that these are the best takes from what I can only assume is the studio's top choice.
There are redeemable aspects, though. Most notable is Emmy Rossum. Before I babble on some more, I'm just going to say...
I would recommend Avenue Q to anyone looking to see a Broadway play. The cast is really good right now.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-06, 00:42

Gee.

So much for culture.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-04-06, 00:58

When I was in Melbourne, I subscribed to the MSO's 20th century concert series as both a student and teacher. Some of it was out there, but generally speaking I love 20th century compositions. They're exciting, new(ish) and it's like being a spectator as boundaries are pushed. With music, that is important to me! (Although, in the interests of full disclosure, I still love Toto and some early Yes. )

As for musicals, I have played in more that I have seen. However, Les Mis gets my vote as the most moving example of a musical I can remember. "Bring Him Home" - though some may consider it too saccharine - is still a personal favourite.

Another favourite musical that I saw was "We Will Rock You" which was essentially an excuse to hear Queen songs again. (It was like a mini rock concert in the theatre.) Growing up, I was addicted to their music (I think it is all I played on CD and the piano for the better part of six years) so this was thoroughly awesome for me!

In terms of playing (as a keyboardist) the most gratifying shows I have played had a quasi rock angle - "Chess", "JCS", and "Little Shop of Horrors" come to mind.

To sum up though, I think it is great that you are willing to support the Arts. Get out there and enjoy it, Carol.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-04-06, 01:07

Part II

Rock concerts I'm going to see in 2006:

The Stones in China (Shanghai) - For the first time ever, Mick and Co will visit the Middle Kingdom! I'm meeting my brother in Shanghai this Saturday as a matter of fact, so I'm looking forward to catching up, showing him around and enjoying this historical event. I'm not that big of a Stones fan, but his work has organised some tickets and they have a conference up here presently. (What's his work? Let's just say they know how to find things quickly. )

Toto in Australia (Melbourne) - I'm flying back for this one. I came to the conclusion this year, that music is an important part of my life and I shouldn't ignore it. Life is too short, so hang the expense, I am going to enjoy seeing these musicians perform live in my hometown! Consequently, because of my love for this band (which I know many will find laughable) I have decided to put every measly yuan I earn (after I buy the bike) to my plane ticket home. Can't wait.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-04-06, 01:22

Jesus, I've been to so many of all of the above that I couldn't even begin to list. From gala openings of concert halls, experimental russian theatre, the recent Krafwerk tour, and my own premieres, I've seen/heard/experienced a lot.

You're in the NW, right Carol? I could give you tons of ideas on places to go.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs