Froggy McFrogface 2 20.00%
Force McFrog 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Mandalorian
Page 7 of 16 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-13, 09:19

Ha, yeah. I do indeed. A couple of reasons...

1) I don't sleep well sometimes and my eyes will often pop open on their own, whether I like it or not, between 4-5am. On Friday mornings, knowing I've got something I can watch for 45 or so minutes these next 4-5 weeks, I figure "why not?"

2) Honestly, after two weeks ago (and my rant upthread about it), I want to see these things as early as possible to avoid the "spoilers in their headlines" morons throughout the day/the weekend. If I can't rely on some "journalists"/bloggers/YouTubers to be considerate/professional, I'll beat them to the punch.

Now I can safely tool around the Internet today and not have to worry about anything...I've already seen it.

Being single, childless and living alone, I realize I'm able to do this easier than others who aren't. YMMV, of course.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-13 at 09:40.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-13, 10:38

Yeah, I have to work to not read something through the day. I've already passed through a couple of headlines on the show through my RSS feeds. I have wait for my kid to get off school so we can watch it together though. It is our thing on Fridays after I get off work now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-11-13, 22:17

There are elements in the way these shows are created that fit SO WELL into the original Star Wars universe that I could watch them multiple times just to catch the details. The way that they use and adapt previously established technology just FITS.

I don't have time to hide content, so I won't get specific... just: kudos to the team.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-13, 22:50

Please be specific, I wanna know.

“Hide content”, as in spoiler tags? Ken made this a “spoiler-friendly” thread a week or so ago.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-11-13, 23:54

Oh, okay.

In tonight's episode, when the ship takes a dip and needs scooping out, a modified mobile platform walks over... an All Terrain Mobile Crane!! How cool is that?

Also: I'm beyond excited about the person Mando is off to find! Animated character come to life!!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-14, 04:35

Yep. The second one. I look at photos of Ms. Dawson and the character she’s allegedly portraying and that’s a pretty solid casting job. As was the near-perfect match of Katee Sackhoff to her animated counterpart.

Oh, one cool thing from this week’s episode I forgot to mention in my earlier thoughts/observations:

The imperial freighter captain(?) played by Titus Welliver...how cool was his self-offing. The SW take on the tooth-based cyanide capsule we’ve seen used by spies, Hydra members, etc. in movies over the years.

Instead of a poison, apparently biting down on this causes an explosion or electrocution(?) inside one’s noggin. I love how his face/head lit up from within. Whatever was going on, I’d say it took.

Good eye on the walking crane. I was focused solely on Mando’s ship being pulled up, I only noticed a crane of some sort via quick glance. But upon a quick second look, definitely a four-leggged walker crane.

In SW, vehicles that don’t fly/float/hover often tend to walk. The only wheeled/rolling vehicle/device that makes any sense is that little Death Star mouse droid. Seeing that “primitive”, Earth-bound tech (wheels, rolling) used elsewhere (Attack of the Clones, The Rise of Skywalker, etc.) just comes across as a cheap, blatant attempt to sell some new toys.

"We know this vehicle makes no sense in light of the bigger picture of established tech in these movies, but we think they'll fly off the shelves at Target in Lego form!"

What purpose/benefit would a wheeled/treaded First Order speeder bike have, three-plus decades (both real life and in-universe) after we saw the floating/hovering variety used in ROTJ?! Because roughly rolling/bouncing over uneven desert terrain is so much better than smoothly gliding over it as done by every other vehicle in the franchise for 40+ years, right?

Whatever First Order engineer came up with this idea, I hope he was executed by Snoke or Kylo Ren for such budget-wasting idiocy.

“Does this fool not know we’re in Star Wars, where stuff floats/hovers? Bring this wretched, point-missing person before me immediately. He will suffer for his lack of vision...”.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-14 at 11:01.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-14, 10:48

BTW, not being a Clone Wars/animated viewer, I just now learned that Katee Sackhoff also voiced this same character on those animated shows for quite a few episodes. Kinda cool, and unusual. I assume she wasn't hired for any physical resemblance to the character, just to do the voice work. But they couldn't have made a better match when it came time to do a live action take on the character. It was like she stepped right out of the animated realm and into real life.

That would kinda be like Mel Blanc portraying Bugs Bunny in a live action version of the character (assuming Blanc actually resembled a rabbit).

I suppose a better analogy might be DC/WB choosing Kevin Conroy to be the next movie Batman?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-14 at 11:02.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-11-14, 11:33

DUDE.

You HAVEN'T seen Clone Wars?????

Screw the animated part.

It practically REDEEMS the failings of the prequels by showing us what happened between episodes 2 and 3. We learn the grand sweep of the war that took place all over the galaxy. We see how the Jedi and the clone troopers became great allies, strengthening the tragedy when Order 66 is issued.

It makes sense of every single thing that never made sense in the prequels.

CHECK YOURSELF.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-14, 11:42

Hmm, interesting. I've seen snippets of them. Are there two types? I've seen what looks like traditional 2D cel animation, and then the more realistic CGI stuff. Which is which? Are they related? Is the CGI a newer take on the other? Which came first? Which tells what, in what order?

If this stuff is on Netflix, I may start watching it later today/this evening.

I know there's one where it shows Mace Windu hurting General Grievous and that one kinda leads right into the opening of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, correct?

I suppose I'd have a better appreciation for the character introduced yesterday (and the other we know is coming), if I watched these things.

I've just always stuck to the theatrical movies, for better or for worse (worse, in the case of six of them ) and never really delved into the books, comics, video games, animated series, etc. I've just always taken the view of "everything I need to know is there on the screen in the multiplex...". Maybe I was wrong, although I'm reluctant to start down too many rabbit holes at this point...

It sounds like maybe the animated series do with the prequels what The Mandalorian, Rogue One and whatever upcoming Disney+ series may do to the sequels...put things back on track and a bit, and wash away the bad taste left by less-than cinematic outings?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-11-14, 16:46

Oh man, oh man.

Clone Wars (all of them), and Rebels.

THEN you'll be up to speed on the final scenes from Season 1, as well as what's being alluded to now.

BTW, I just want to give a shout out to the SFX teams on the S2E2, since during the arachnid stampede, I truly appreciated the 3mm spider that bungee jumped off of my bangs, and landed on my right eyeglasses lens.

It really made me feel like I was in the scene, and a part of the action. Kudos.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-14, 17:54

Isn't it funny how "cheap" (not literally, but surely way less cost than a feature film in the hands of J.J. & Co.) TV shows better capture the fun/spirit of the property, and seem to unite fandom in a way that the big-screen outings...well, haven't? In a very long time?

Even if some are ambivalent or not outright nuts about The Mandalorian (personally, I find it enjoyable at times although I can honestly take it or leave it; but it's the best thing going from the property at the moment, so I'm going to continue watching it...you know, until Kathleen Kennedy fires Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni, giving me a reason not to), I've yet to really hear anything outright divisive or negative toward it, the way we all have (or contributed to ) the sequel trilogy (particularly those final two installments).

Quite an accomplishment, but if you step back and just think about it all, big picture, it's really quite simple. This TV show is doing everything "right", in terms of respecting the property, lore, established tropes, the in-universe behaviors, etc. Those sequel entries actively went out of their way to do none of that, yet tried to make up for it by slapping on a false veneer of shallow fan-service that never paid off.

You can tell the difference.

Just think of all the wordiness, complexity, exposition and planet-hopping in The Rise of Skywalker that amounted to nothing, vs. how little anyone in this show goes out of their way to explain anything. The lead character is the most silent, close-mouthed lead character I've ever seen (very reminiscent of Eastwood in those 60's Sergio Leone outings; says just enough that you know somebody's about to get plugged). You get just enough to go on, but there's never a character laying things out down to the millimeter in some obvious "I'm being the narrator for stupid people" way that the movies engaged in.

The show is refreshingly devoid of "TV for morons" exposition and hand-holding..."and then we need to do this, so that this can do that, which means he can be there, so that they can do this, etc.".

I get so sick of that shit in so many shows/movies. It tells you what the filmmakers/industry think of their customers, frankly. As a viewer, I like being given a little morsel or tidbit and then trusted to put two-and-two together and connect a few dots.

It's just a night and day difference in approach and tone, top to bottom. One feels like the movies I loved and grew up on. The other feels like a Scooby Doo episode on a bad batch of meth.

This is the devotion/interest/enthusiasm those stupid-ass movies should've elicited. That they didn't should be a permanent stain on a few careers.

I keep waiting for some heads to roll, so I'll feel a bit better about it all...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-14 at 18:09.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-11-14, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Clone Wars (all of them), and Rebels.
Essentially, if you have not seen these, you are not a true Star Wars fan.

Mic Drop.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-14, 19:24

The shame.

So, via Googling, it seems the 2D series came out in 2003-2005 (three seasons...10, 10 and 5 episodes respectively). And then the other one, the CGI animated one, hit between 2008-2014 with a shitload more episodes, and a final season that hit earlier this year on Disney+.

I guess I should watch them in the way they were released (starting with the 2003 2D series)?

I just realized Netflix won't have these things. Looking at Disney+, I see what appears to be a CGI movie (1:39, rated PG, from 2007) and then a separate entry called the final season, but it appears to have seven total seasons. So it looks like the CGI stuff is all viewable.

Where would the 2D ones be if not at Disney+? Don't they own all this now? Why wouldn't that series not be available? They have all nine theatrical movies, the above Clone Wars stuff, a making of documentary, the two standalones (Rogue One and Solo), some Lego stuff, etc. Everything but the 2003 2D series. Am I missing anything if I skip that and go right into the 2007 movie and the 2008-and-beyond CGI series? They both take place in the same timeframe, but there's no overlap between the two, plot-wise?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-14 at 20:08.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-15, 02:16

The kid and I watched the latest episode and I think I may have had a little accident when Ahsoka Tano's name dropped!

Annnnnnnd now we wait for next week, and there ahd better not be a filler-episode!

S2 E3 was good fun, and the music is just … WOW! This show keeps nailing it. Mild, well-timed humor, constant wonder at what hole Mando will have to dig himself out of. Egg-eating children getting into trouble. Kara Thrace dropping by after leading her people to Earth, etc. Lots of fun bits, these shows have.

And, yeah, Boba is Episode 8 at the earliest. But, not to worry, 'cause we gonna see a light-saber wielding hotty next week! Be still my achy-breaky heart.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-15, 05:34

Well, that’s certainly the setup. But I’m betting it doesn’t happen so quickly. You know on his way to find her, he gets sidetracked on some adventure on the way.

It’s a race to see which character this show can tease - and not follow through on - until episodes 7 and/or 8. It’s a dead heat between her and Boba at this point.

If he delivers the kid to a Jedi (or someone with Jedi ties/connections) next week, does that mean this whole arc is over? Hard to imagine that character - the child, or Ashoka - going away halfway into the season. That’s why I think next week is a side/filler episode with no sign of her.

Here’s the thing...would the show pull a fast one and do something in episodes 7/8 to make it where Mando still has the child in season 3? Is Disney/lucasfilm prepared to say goodbye to such a popular, and marketable/$$$-generating character? I honestly don’t see it happening. But if it does, it’ll be episode 8.

I just think we’re in for a twist of some sort, re: her. I can’t help but think back to how the buildup for the return of Luke Skywalker actually played out. I truly hope they’ve learned to not go that route again and make the older version of such a beloved character an underwhelming dud.

But that doesn’t seem to be Favreau’s M.O., so she should be what we’re hoping...an older version of the same character everyone wants to see again. This show is, above all, a people-pleaser. And Rian Johnson appears to be nowhere in sight.

But there’s going to be some weird twist/angle we’re not seeing right now. Nothing in this show ever seems to go easy, or as planned.

PS - I love how those jet packs are such a used, crucial part of things now. It adds a new element of fun/excitement (and visual thrills) to know flight is a possibility at any given time.

All three episodes so far - especially 1 and 3 - have given this device some prime, cool screen time. When Mando parted ways with Bo Katan and just coolly jumped off the side of that freighter without a thought/care in the world, that was a cool shot. He just HALO-jumped off the side like a total hard ass, which made for a cooler shot than him taking off from that outer deck as expected. Nice little visual touch, the free fall prior to firing up the jet pack.

It’s like this show is doing all it can to put that tech in a positive, cool light since most of us associate it with a clumsy, lucky accident on Tatooine. This show is more Jango than Boba in its jet pack presentation...a actual useful, cool tool vs. an “oops...”.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-16, 10:56

Over the weekend I watched quite a few Mandalorian “reaction” videos on YouTube, specifically centering on the arrival/reveal of Bo Katan. While doing so, I found myself thinking “where’s the sexist, ‘toxic male’ element of the SW fandom I’ve heard so much about these past three or so years?”

Because every video I watched - even the ones featuring those sporting dreaded penises - were unanimous in their joy/excitement at seeing this character swoop into the scene, remove her helmet, introduce herself, state her lineage and purpose/mission. People were cheering, smiling, high-fiving, crying, etc.

And, while awkward and cringe-y at times for its neckbearded perpetual virginity aspect (and lazy overuse of “fuck” and all its labored variations), I saw/heard no hateful, sexist or “toxic” sentiments. Not one. Everyone, male and female - often watching together...no, really! - were enthusiastically losing their collective shit.

Could it be, perhaps, that people simply didn’t like Rey for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with what’s between her legs? And the same for Rose and Holdo?

Poorly-written, underdeveloped, annoying and/or pointless characters can be criticized or disliked, regardless of gender.

People didn’t take to Rey, and others. But they sure did Leia. And Bo Katan. And Ahsoka Tano. And Jyn Erso. And Mon Mothma, Aura Sing, Aayla Secura, Mara Jade and Asaj Ventress. Even poor Padme, separated from Portman’s wooden acting, wasn’t hated. All female, last I checked. In all my years of being aware of this franchise, I never heard/read any hate or toxicity thrown their way.

Why do you think that is?

And here’s the thing...if the reaction to this character was so overwhelming in its joy and positivity, what do you think it’s going to be when Ms. Dawson finally appears on the screen, allegedly portraying an even more popular, beloved character?

Exactly.

SW fans don’t dislike female characters. They just don’t like yours, Kathleen.

Big difference.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-16, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
SW fans don’t dislike female characters. They just don’t like yours, Kathleen.

Big difference.
This. I concur, agree, support this statement, and thank you very much, Mr. Scates!

Yours truly is a very male, very masculine Star Wars fan with a dangly betwixt his legs who is jacked up excited about a certain SW legendess who shall be appearing in the not too distant future, and as long as she is still written as she has always been, I will be super duper fan-pleased!*

FWIW: Leia was a hyped-up, strong, crazy, confident, smart, sexy woman of the 1970's, and every respectable Star Wars fan (male and female) loved the hell out of her, and still does!

* And if they manage to sneak her into a few Obi Wan episodes, I'll do me some cartwheels!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-16, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
This. I concur, agree, support this statement, and thank you very much, Mr. Scates!

Yours truly is a very male, very masculine Star Wars fan with a dangly betwixt his legs who is jacked up excited about a certain SW legendess who shall be appearing in the not too distant future, and as long as she is still written as she has always been, I will be super duper fan-pleased!*

FWIW: Leia was a hyped-up, strong, crazy, confident, smart, sexy woman of the 1970's, and every respectable Star Wars fan (male and female) loved the hell out of her, and still does!
Exactly. That's why some of those charges/statements have been so absurd and impossible to take seriously.

You cannot look at 40+ years of Star Wars and say "the male fans dislike female characters!"

Horseshit. Utter, shin-deep horseshit.

It's nothing about "gender"...I found Poe and Hux poorly-written, annoying and unlikable as can be, but nobody's carrying on or crying on Twitter over that, are they? But if you apply the same standard to other characters, things suddenly take on a sinister, "problematic" tone.

It's badly-written, underwhelming characters/writing that folks have an issue with. But for Kennedy and others to cop to that would be them admitting that they've done a lousy, less-than job of things. So it's just easier to blame it all on the other, knowing that such stuff gets traction in these Woke™ times, where so many are all-too-eager to climb about the offense du jour bandwagon and parrot the baseless shit they hear from their favorite celebrity or public figure (and all the buzzwords/jargon that goes with it).

I'm sure there are a handful of folks who responded to Bo Katan's appearance with "oh, great...a chick has to rescue the male lead...typical", but they are a sliver of a sliver of a sliver of SW fandom. To somehow try to act like that's the prevailing, across-the-board view/sentiment is just moronic.

And Kennedy and her likeminded cohorts know this. But, again, it's just easier to blame their failings on toxic, women-hating neckbeards across-the-board.

Yes, Kathleen...we've all waited 40 years - like Palpatine - to reveal our true selves. We all secretly hated Leia and the others all this time, waiting for ~2017 to finally come forward with our true feelings.

We never even heard this kind of talk until about 2-3 years ago when a) The Last Jedi shit the bed (and with a heavy presence of Rey, Rose and Holdo...so it must be sexism/toxic masculinity and nothing else; and not the awful student film Rian Johnson cobbled together, etc.), and b) when folks started to question things re: Rey's apparent perfection, lack of growth/struggle and some serious Mary Sue trappings. Because, like it or not, they weren't explaining anythng across two entire movies. And when they finally got around to any of it, halfway into Episode IX, it was the stupidest, most "wait...WHAT?!" stuff ever.

So, yeah...nobody's impressed.

But it has nothing to do with the presence, or not, of a vagina. That's a lazy, blame-deflecting cop-out.

They could've written Rey a dozen different ways that people would have responded to with genuine enthusiasm and affection over (you know...the way they do all the others I mentioned upthread). But they didn't. That's on them...not fans who saw through it and had legitimate questions for 4-5 years, across 2-3 movies.

IMO, in their eagerness/point-scoring to pursue/court the Girl Power™ market, Disney/Lucasfilm overplayed their hand, and confused "strong female character" with "perfect, infallible being, right out of the gate, who doesn't have to grow or learn". And folks didn't buy it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-16, 13:05

Anyway, not looking to pull things off the rails. But, watching all those reaction videos this weekend, I couldn't help but notice the unanimous enthusiasm/joy everyone showed upon Bo Katan's reveal. And that's what made me start thinking about all the above stuff we've been hearing about for a few years.

I don't think it exists, and this one episode of a TV show kinda blew some of that nonsense out of the water, IMO.

I'd genuinely love to hear Kennedy and others address this. Are we to believe that Katan and Tano aren't as strong (or more so) than Rey? How do people love/admire those characters, but not Rey so much? You can't have it both ways. Either the fanbase is toxic and doesn't like strong, female characters. Or they do.

It's obvious they do. And always have. So, to me, the only difference is the modern implementation, under Kennedy's rule.

Your answers/reasons lie within that.

EDIT: And that is as "political" or divisive/controversial(?) as I ever intend to get here (and it only came about from watching people happily wigging out all weekend). Back to your regularly-scheduled thread.

I still think they're going to hold off/tease the Ahsoka Tano appearance/reveal. They know everyone's expecting it to happen this Friday, but he's gonna get sidetracked on his way to Corvus(?), I'm telling you. He'll get sucked/conned into some job or side-mission that will last the entire episode, with more double-crosses, the child endangered, his ship taking a further beating, some more jetpack/flamethrower action, etc.

The episode might end with him finally arriving/touching down at Tano's location, but that's probably as close as we'll get. This show knows what it's doing.

That would get the first four episodes done, and then, maybe, the last four of this season can just be wall-to-wall excitement, reveals, danger/action, etc. and some sort of resolution to the child arc? I still don't think Disney/Lucasfilm are ready to give that up, but maybe they do so in such a satisfying way that people will get over it, and move on? I'm not sure I want to see the lead character playing babysitter/surrogate dad forever, into a third or fourth season.

We still have that character from the first episode, remember. For all we know, they might be saving him until a third season (a shame), but who knows. Either Mando has another reason to go back to Tatooine in the coming episodes...or this person finds a ship and comes to wherever Mando is.

There's bad blood(?) between this character and the ones represented by Tano (even if she's not a full member), so I wonder if those two characters share a scene/face-off of some sort? Talk about fanboy's wet dream...Boba Fett and Ahsoka Tano standing opposite of one another, waiting for the other to make a move?

Exciting to ponder, the future is.

One thing I do find myself wondering about: how much of this show's success/popularity is truly hinging on nostalgia/callbacks and ties to all we know and love? It feels like Star Wars much of the time, so that's great. But had they decided to go about it in such a way that Jawas, Sandpeople, Tatooine, Boba Fett, Stormtroopers, X-wings, TIE fighters, animated characters brought to real life, etc. weren't part of it, would people even be watching? It's a tricky line to walk, isn't it?

While I've often called for "new adventures" in new worlds/new characters and a break from the OT lore and trappings, I also know that I might have a harder time sitting through that. Right now, it's a nice enough blend of fan-service/callbacks and new characters/vehicles/planets that I'm okay with it. But once this kid is dealt with/returned to its kind, and maybe Boba and Ahsoka are both dead(?), it would be neat to see how a third season might unfold without such heavy OT/prequels/animated ties? Would they even be daring enough to attempt such a show?

I don't know. They probably know where their bread is buttered. To stray too far from that is risky.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-16 at 13:50.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-16, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Anyway, not looking to pull things off the rails.
Not to worry. Imma gonna start shifting it back.

The thing that makes Ahsoka Tano so completely lovable is that she did have to grow, she did make mistakes, she did become stronger, over a very long time, and without some preconceived notion of perfection. She was just a little kid, tutoring beneath Anakin Skywalker, growing, stumbling, learning her place and her power, achieving her goals, stretching her loyalty and conveying her genuine, honest, feminine nature and compassion. For me, she was, has, and always will be the bedrock template for Star Wars women. Hard-working, dedicated, honest! And a true warrior in the Jedi sense of it all.

And then she was betrayed by her own. She left the order and went out into the world Amish-coming-of-age style, and worked her way through life only to "find her true self" and return to her best form as a Jedi, even if the title was gone. She became what we all "heard" about, in about roughly one line in A New Hope:

Quote:
For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.
And that's what we had to work with. Ahsoka Tano, over the course of her life from youth to adult, became that. Even more so than Luke, or Obi Wan, or Anakin. There is no other character that we watched from youth, all the way through adolescence and into adulthood. Even Anakin's life skipped many years at different points, and by the time we saw him fully developed it was into The Clone Wars. But Ahsoka was there through it all, and we saw it all. Every aspect of her life, every trial, every criticism, every hurt and every joy.

More than any other character, to me she is Star Wars! Everything that she represents, and everything that she stands for.

There is no other character in the SW universe I am more excited to see than her, and that it will come within the framework of this very good, very entertaining, and very Star Wars series just gives me shivers of excitement!

It's a good time to be a SW fan.

And, no, I do NOT have a neck beard, and I absolutely love women*!

* Even though they are a complete PITA!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-16, 14:00

I've been reading up on her Star Wars Wiki entry. An interesting life, for sure.

Kinda curious about how they're going to play it.

Will she be in any action stuff, or will she be in full "peaceful monk" type, dispensing advice and words or wisdom?

Maybe a bit of both?

According to the timeline, she should be around 45 years old (born 36 years BBY, and The Mandalorian taking place about five years after ROTJ (9 years ABY). So she's still young enough to be spry and do some damage if needed.

I had to check those timelines because I didn't know if she was going be playing an old lady (I sometimes get fuzzy on the timelines outside the OT). But 45 is just right.

Rosario Dawson, BTW, is 41.

I just hope she's not a disillusioned Luke type of character when she's found. We've already gone down that awful road, so hopefully this won't be a repeat of Episodes 8-9 in terms of seeing an old favorite reduced to a crabby, disengaged and cynical hobo who's renounced everything that made him cool/special (thanks, Rian). But, from all I've read, I can't imagine that being the case for her. I think she's a true believer, even if she doesn't officially carry the title.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-16, 15:14

Well, her reappearance in Rebels had her as the same, cagey—but much wiser—butt-kicker she always was.

And, yeah, if she comes out swinging her attitude rather than her lightsaber, gonna be a LOT of ticked-off fans!

And it would be such a[nother] disservice to see her be a raging, homornal Togruta rather than the amazing awesome-sauce that she is! They've got one chance to get it right.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-16, 18:04

I read where Carl Weathers directed this coming Friday's episode of The Mandalorian, but that Dave Filoni wrote and directed episode 5, next week (11/27). I have to believe, between the two, Filoni would be the one who'd write/direct the episode that sees the real-life debut of a character he helped create.

So I have a feeling my "ain't gonna happen this week" prediction is likely true.

But if Weathers is directing this one, that means there's a good chance his character puts in an appearance. And, if he does, chances are high Cara Dune does as well. And that's just all kinds of okay with me.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-17, 10:41

One other aspect I find interesting about this show and how it's rolled out. I assume these episodes for season two are already filmed/edited and in the can, correct? Or are they still shooting the final few episodes? That seems a bit tight...the entire season is going to end in 4-5 weeks, so, at most, they're maybe doing some post-production/tweaking/CGI work on the final ones at this point? I don't know the timeframes on how/when these things are shot, so I'm just guessing here.

But, assuming they're all shot and in-the-can, their leak control is pretty solid (better than Apple's).

We don't even know the titles of the episodes until it appears on screen after the opening segment.

There were rumblings of casting (Morrison, Sackhoff, Dawson), but it was never officially acknowledged (and a bunch of YouTubers just ran with it as though it were gospel). But, as far as I know, there's been no definitive, accurate leaks in the days/weeks leading up to an episode. And when you think about the amount of people involved in such a production - even just the catering guys making sure there are snacks on the set - you'd think someone would be a blabbermouth.

But I'm sure there are massive NDAs and "no phones/cameras on set" rules in place to help with that?

It just seems there would be a weak link somewhere in the line where big spoilers/leaks would hit and be widely known. I like how I go into every episode Friday truly unaware of what's about to unfold.

When the child and Mando went into that holding tank on the ship, I honestly thought "okay, he'll extract the kid from the monster in a few seconds and will blow the grating off somehow - those whistling birds? - and either a) fight/kill all those guys, and/or b) jetpack away with the child, back to land." When I saw those other armored figures appear and start beating ass, I was genuinely surprised.

"Well, that wasn't on my list of what I thought would happen...".

Those are fun, enjoyable moments when you're taken by surprise and none of your assumptions pan out.

In an era of "I can learn/know anything I want, in mere seconds, via this computer in my pocket...", sometimes it's a genuine thrill/pleasure to not indulge in that, and to just be pleasantly surprised with some things. It's more old-school...had I known about that big reveal in 1980, before heading into the theater to see The Empire Strikes Back, I wouldn't have lost my little 11-year-old mind the way I - everyone around me - did. Moments like that make an impact and stick with you when you're blindly hit upside the head with them. Because that's all my friends and I talked/thought about for the next 1-2 years!

"Was he lying?!"

"There's no way that's Luke's dad..."

"But I thought Darth Vader killed his dad?"

"He's just trying to trick Luke, right?"

And on, and on...all summer, into the fall and winter.

When you're 11, you don't think about Obi-Wan shading the truth and framing things "from a certain point of view". You just believe what you hear, as it's told. So that was a great reveal/twist.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-17 at 11:02.
¡Damned!

2020-11-17, 20:30

So there's a couple of things that are getting hammered home hard in these first episodes. Beskar is super-duper valuable enough for just about anyone to try to snatch it (WWF cyclops, flying jawa-ish guy, fishbois gang) and a Mandalorian should never ever take its helmet off except for literally every character wearing Mandalorian armor besides Mando. I mean, the first wtf reveal with the Marshal was kind of surprising and fun, but then the trio do the same thing in the third episode? Our boy Mando has to be freaking out a little bit, I'd say.

Also, how in the world does Mando not know what Boba Fett's armor looks like? How was he not like "Um no. Bought it from Jawas? Right. How about I tie you to the backend of a bantha until we get the truth?". Or does he know who's it is? I mean, he has to know that Boba Fett is dead. Even if the sand skiff exploded in ROTJ leaving no witnesses, you just know that Han would tell anyone with ears about how he heroically quarterstaffed famed hunter Boba Fett into the gaping maw. He just would. For years. Young Ben was probably "oh please force-god not this story again".

Anyways, now that we know Boba has been on Tatooine for a while, we can speculate on if that was him with armor at the end of that episode last season (the one where Agent May is presumed dead (I still think she lives)) and he grabbed her, picked up the bounty and....? Maybe he thought it was prudent to get rid of his armor before collecting lest they recognize him? Maybe he really did sell it to the Jawas along with his bounty. A fresh start and all that. I'm onboard with the theory upthread that he basically zapped his way out of the Sarlacc, but everyone nearby was too dead to notice.

Also Starbuck! Heir to the throne of Mandalore! I like it.

Oh! My theory regarding the above beskar snatching and helmet removing: both happen to Mando this season. Maybe it's lucky that he has an extra helmet on hand.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-17, 21:44

I’m genuinely excited - and I find myself looking forward to Friday mornings here lately - about where things are heading.

It’s a shame these things are only eight episodes. 12-15 a season would be nice. I’m afraid, just as everything kicks in and stuff gets good - Ahsoka Force-choking Boba Fett, Bo Katan kicking Gideon in the nuts,The Child doing something really amazing with the Force, Cara Dune taking a shower with the door open, etc...BOOM, it’ll all come to the end (all the above will happen in the final four minutes of episode 8).

And then a loooooong wait for season 3.

PS - I have a feeling there’s another big reveal/surprise coming. You know how magicians use distraction/misdirection to do their tricks (make sure you’re looking over there so you don’t see what their other hand is doing over here, etc.), I think they’ve got everyone so wrapped up in thoughts of Boba, Bo Katan and Ahsoka, that there may be some crazy, out-of-nowhere moment that nobody’s even considering.

Assuming Ahsoka appears in the Filoni-written/directed episode 5 next week, that leaves three more episodes.

There’s something about The Child that I think is going to pay off big. When I think about the timeline, the Force/Jedi angle with this kid, who they’re heading to see and where she’d want to place him, etc.

Probably wishful thinking, but I can imagine how well someone can be de-aged/obscured while appearing as a robed/hooded, flickering/grainy blue hologram and a bit of nice CGI de-aging work...

The one person in this particular timeline, five years after the events of ROTJ, who would recognize this species and understand what sort of power/abilities he would possess.

“Bring the child to me...he is indeed special, And I will see to his training.”

“As you wish, Master Skywalker. We shall leave immediately.”

“I wish you a safe journey...and may the Force be with you, Ahsoka.”

It’ll never happen. But, damn...it should.

The YouTube freak-outs alone would be worth it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-17 at 22:21.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-17, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Also Starbuck! Heir to the throne of Mandalore! I like it.
Kara Thrace, dude! Oh, and Katie Sackhoff voiced the character in Star Wars Rebels, and the hat came off then, too. So not too shocking.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-11-18, 00:05

FYI among members of the 501st (Vader's Fist) they refer to their helmets as "buckets", in military fashion.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-18, 17:48

I've started watching those CGI animated Clone Wars on Disney+ (I still don't know where the 2003 2D animated ones are, so I just went ahead and dove into what was available).

That Ziro the Hutt(?)...he's, um...quite a character.

Kind of a space Charles Nelson Reilly/Paul Lynde, I take it? Or Truman Capote, maybe?

Was funny, his whole persona/voice. I don't think I've ever seen that in Star Wars.

Devious, scheming character, that one. I actually thought he was kinda cool, in a different way we've not seen in the franchise before. There's more than one way to portray a SW villain, huh? You don't have to be all hissing or brooding, or own a red lightsaber.*

"This guy just stepped right out of a Bravo! channel reality show, instigating all kinds of drama and tomfoolery. He's in cahoots with all the bad guys!" - my reaction after that Baby Jabba kidnapping episode

Did that meet with any sort of controversy/offense at the time, I wonder?

One side decrying "blatant, subversive gayness in Star Wars", and/or the other side being pissed that he's "too much of a cartoonish stereotype".

Jabba's kid was cute, in a Baby Yoda way. Ahsoka kept calling him "stinky". I'm sure he was.

*Is it weird that I find Asaj Ventress incredibly hot? I mean, she's kinda got it going on for a cartoon and all. But I tend to go for mean women with an edge to them, and short hair (and you can't get much shorter than bald), so...

So far, I've enjoyed the 4-5 episodes I've seen. I like the Clone Troopers and their whole vibe. Dooku is drawn kinda weird (almost like a living statue, compared to all the other characters). I'm just going through in order, 1-2 a night (they're only about 25 minutes each). It'll take a while, but If I can do 1-2 a night - maybe more on weekends? - that's at least 10 or so a week, not even trying. And if I get a rainy Saturday or Sunday and can't really do anything else, I'll make a big bucket of popcorn or nachos and sit and take in 5-10 in a single day. I watched the entire first seasons of both Stranger Things and The Mandalorian in a single day, years apart, so I'm not above a good ol' binge-fest if the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-18 at 18:37.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-18, 19:00

Have fun with those. I had a hard time with some of them, but with the kid around for support, we made it through.

A few things:

1) The Jedi get their asses kicked a lot;

2) The banter between Anakin and Obi Wan is fun;

3) Ahsoka Tano is awesome right from the beginning.

It's all very cartoonish and clearly intended for a younger audience, but it's Star Wars, and mostly good stuff. Rebels is fun also, but wait to start that until you get all the way through The Clone Wars.