Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Society at large Needs Help

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Society at large Needs Help
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-06-26, 08:49

Using cell phone networks to cover up your cowardice.

I understand that sometimes people have to put off their responsibilities to deal with other responsibilities (stay home and deal with family crises rather than go to work, skip jury duty in order to finish a big project at work that actually exists, etc.). What I don't understand is when people go around cheating on their significant others or skipping work to play or whatever, and then not having the balls to either deal with the involved parties directly, or figuring out their own scheme to get away with it.

Now we apparently have "cell networks" of complete strangers who offer alibis for other people on the network when they're skipping work, cheating on their spouse or whatever. And we actually have companies who are in business to help them do it.

"It's not necessarily for [bad purposes] only..." says the head of Kargo, as he explains away the negative aspects of his cell phone noise collection, containing such beauties as traffic noise, coughing and other people's voices. Pathetic. I hope the good people at Kargo get spammed into oblivion.

"How do you make a living Pawly?"

"Well ya seez, I sells a collection a fone tones that allow my customahs to be more successful liahs... but not all da time. Sometimes da ring-tones ah used just to get a good laugh out of the sitcheation."

...into the light of a dark black night.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2004-06-26, 12:00

That is just awful. I can't believe people would do something like that. But just out of curiosity, wouldn't you get suspicious if your significant other's boss called YOU to tell you that your significant other was needed in Colorado or whatever? There was an example in that article where a woman had someone call her blind date to say she was needed in Europe. Why in the world would the boss of someone you are dating to tell you that that person had to go to Europe? Stupid.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-26, 13:01

They prey on the greedy and stupid, and hope they can fool the stupider.

Bad idea. Really bad idea. Doesn't anyone realize the moral and ethical issues behind this?

Come waste your time with me
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-06-26, 13:58

Bah. In America it's profits first, ethics second... sadly.

Personally, if I ran a company and found out someone skipped work, but they had called in with their own "dog ate my homework story"... I'd dock them two day's pay and let them know the next time they're done.

If I found out someone used an alibi network to call in an excuse to me, I'd shit-can them on the spot and make as big an effort as I legally could to let every hiring agency and staffing firm in the area know about it.

InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-06-26, 14:41

I have no problem with people shirking their responsibilities, I do think it is rather pathetic to employ someone to lie for you. To be quite honest, I don't even see the point in lying in any of these situations. DO you really need some dumb excuse to miss a day of work? I've always told me employer that I wan't coming in because the weather was too nice or decided to spend the day with friends. If I'm going out late one night , I'll happily tell them that I may not be on time the next day. If I want to go away for a weekend with friends to get hammered and act like an ass, then that's what I'll tell me girlfdriend. It is just so pathetic that people think they need to lie all the time. It really isn't worth it.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-26, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Bah. In America it's profits first, ethics second... sadly.

Personally, if I ran a company and found out someone skipped work, but they had called in with their own "dog ate my homework story"... I'd dock them two day's pay and let them know the next time they're done.

If I found out someone used an alibi network to call in an excuse to me, I'd shit-can them on the spot and make as big an effort as I legally could to let every hiring agency and staffing firm in the area know about it.
Now this I like

Someone make this guy a CEO of something. Bring personal accountability back to the workplace.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-06-26, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
I have no problem with people shirking their responsibilities, I do think it is rather pathetic to employ someone to lie for you. To be quite honest, I don't even see the point in lying in any of these situations....

It's pretty cool that you have that much integrity and a willingness to just tell it to people straight. We really need more of that in the workplace. PC-speech and "look professional / good at all costs" (including lying to take a day off) has just gotten so far out of hand it's ridiculous. Appearances now mean more than substance, and people will even admit as much if you get them away from their superiors. Ugh.

But you hit the nail on the head basically... it's the having someone lie for you part that makes me want to yak. I mean seriously, grow up and get a set. If you're going to go hang out with friends or whatever, fine... everyone has those days. But don't involve other people in your lie or whatever your excuse of the day is. Just tell your story, hope they buy it and go do your thing -- or just tell it straight like InactionMan.

I mean what kind of a weasle do you have to be to be unwilling to even tell your own lie / story / half-truths? Even Eddie Haskel told his own lies for Christ's sake!