Episode III In, MacGeek out ha ha ***SPOILERS***

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Episode III In, MacGeek out ha ha ***SPOILERS***
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-05-19, 03:00

Just got back from the opening showing. Must say it was an amazing movie. Granted it won't win any awards but if you go from I and II then watch this, it deserves some sort of "Out of the shitter full of HIV blood, piss and diarreah, and onto a plate as something etible."

THe acting was still the same old, however they just seemed to give the really bad ones i.e. Ankin short, and less lines. THe action was relentless for the most part which really kept everybody involved and happy with the movie.

All in all I thought it was a great movie to end on, and Please God don't allow them to make 7,8,9.

And All That Could Have Been
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-05-19, 03:18

****SPOILER ALERT*******

Could anyone else not stop laughing when Darth Vador puts on his suit and does the "NOOOOOOOOOO" bit? Man, cracked me up.

I actually found many parts of the dialogue to be funny, and not necessarily intentionally funny.

Mediocre movie, certainly better than 1 and 2, but that's not saying all that much.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-05-19, 03:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
****SPOILER ALERT*******

Could anyone else not stop laughing when Darth Vador puts on his suit and does the "NOOOOOOOOOO" bit? Man, cracked me up.

I actually found many parts of the dialogue to be funny, and not necessarily intentionally funny.

Mediocre movie, certainly better than 1 and 2, but that's not saying all that much.
That part was a little Frankenstienish
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-05-19, 03:32

Did he do a Joker a'la Batman and destroy the place when he looked in the mirror?

Sounds a bit like Lucas was trying (maybe a bit too hard?) to create some symmetry with Luke from ESB when he discovers who his father is ... like father like son ... "Nooooo"

(Man, I still have to work out where I can see it over here.)

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-19, 03:44

I thought it was great. Really tied everything together...

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

Right down to Captain Antilles (guy who got choked by Vader in the very beginning of Ep. IV) and his ship, the droids, the reason Leia remembers her "mother" but Luke does not, the extermination of the Jedi, Obi-Wan's and Yoda's exile, and even Yoda's paranoia about training new Jedi in Ep. V. Cameos by Owen and Beru Lars, Bail Organa, Chewbacca, Grand Moff Tarkin, and several "early" versions of various ships from the original trilogy are there to please the fans who would notice. I also noticed that they used the exact same sound for Vader's helmet being put on as was used in the original trilogy, and of course there was a Wilhelm scream thrown in there (yeah, I'm that big of a nerd I guess).

My main beef with the movie was Anakin's motivation for joining the dark side... not just that, but the way he went from wanting to kill Palpatine to obeying everything he said within minutes. Oh, and every time they said "younglings" instead of "children" I just about cracked up. I mean come on... it's silly. Still, I really liked it for the most part.

Last edited by Luca : 2005-05-19 at 03:54.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-05-19, 09:06

Ha...I was going to start an "official Episode III review thread" when I got home last night. But it was past 3am and I was T I R E D.

I feel good about this thread because it's actually got some meat, and just not another round of obsessive Force-assisted jacking off by you-know-who.

This thread is LEGIT, based on the real movie.

Allow me, if you will...

It was action-packed. It had some nice, light moments (Obi-Wan sure smiled a lot). The effects were top-notch (the scene where Yoda casually rubbed his head in a worried type of gesture/mood struck me as very natural and some GREAT CGI work).

The acting - particularly by Portman - is quite horrible at times. The "romantic" dialogue between Anakin and Padmé made me cringe a few times...no one talks that way, I don't care what galaxy they're in.

Ewan McGregor is a high spot. He seems to enjoy himself and you can truly squint your eyes and go "yeah, in about 30 more years I'm sure he would look like Alec Guinness...". He's my favorite here, by far, and quite the raging bad-ass, although in a noble, gentlemanly way. You can't help but dig him. He's just good and totally anchors everything, IMO.

Jimmy Smits has a slightly larger role, with some nice interplay between him and the Jedi, particularly Yoda.

Sometimes, however, the CGI stuff winds up being distracting or too much. If you're in a battle on the Wookie home planet or you're flying in a ship over Coruscant, of course you will expect those scenes to be done digitally. However, when two people are simply walking down a hallway and it looks like their feet aren't really on the ground and there's SO much "gee, look what we can do with our computers!" activity going on behind them, you find yourself not really paying attention to what the two characters are talking about. You're bothered by fake-looking floors and hallways and gratuitous displays of background activity. There is such a thing as getting overwhelmed, visually.

This movie does that in a few places. And it's often in the quieter scenes where important stuff is being discussed and you don't NEED the eye candy...it gets in the way, I've noticed. Just build a real damn set and put some real red carpet down, George. I know you have the money! You simply get the impression throughout that the ILM guys are just jacking off a bit, doing their best to go out with a bang. But just because you CAN do something, does that always mean you SHOULD?

A question for the ages...

The story itself is interesting and far more engaging than the other two sequels. The action doesn't seem forced (there's no silly droid factory scene that seems played up strictly for laughs and/or "action", or to sell toy playsets). Everything happens for a reason, and it's a bit more grounded and grim this time around. There are fights for a reason, real stakes and real danger. No blatantly contrived "dangerous escapades", I'm happy to report.

In fact, I saw the illustrious Mr. Binks TWICE...and he had NO dialogue.

And Threepio was positively sedate (remember how groan-inducing his little escapades were in "Episode II"...the corny one-liners, the scene where his head got replaced with a battle droid, etc.). Thankfully, this time out, Lucas seems to have completely eradicated the cheeseball slapstick. It makes for a better movie.

It feels rushed at times (having read the novel and various script treatments, there were scenes that were just BEGGING to be included in this type of a movie, but, sadly, either weren't filmed or didn't make the final cut). A shame, because two in particular would've explained SO much and tied it beautifully to the original trilogy. I was expecting to see two or three scenes in particular and when it became obvious they weren't going to be, I got a little bummed.

But it's a visual feast, from the get-go.

From here out will be some spoilers and goodies...if you DON'T want to know such things, STOP READING THIS RIGHT NOW. You've been warned...

The opening space battle has a GREAT look. The camera is so mobile and had it gone on for another couple of minutes, I would've had a serious case of motion sickness. As it is, it's just about ideal. So much going on, and the density of ships and their movements is amazing. Realistic explosions, ships falling out of orbit and breaking in two, etc. Good stuff.

Palpatine is a snake and a half. He reels Anakin in, enticing him with an old Sith Legend about a Sith Lord who could control the creation of life AND keep people from dying. He goes on to tell Anakin that this Sith Lord's apprentice was taught everything he knew and that the apprentice killed the Sith Lord. The apprentice, of course, was Palpatine.

Mace Windu goes out in a big way, after the ultimate betrayal by Anakin. And we learn why the Emperor looks the way he does (deflecting lightning back onto Palpatine's face with his lightsaber, Mace Windu is responsible for the Emperor's horrific appearance).

The Mustafar showdown between Anakin and Obi-Wan is FAST, as in the fighting is the fastest-moving saber fighting in any film, even "The Phantom Menace". It's none of the "stand around and jab". Obi-Wan's final blow - after imploring Anakin to not make his planned move - is quite a doozy: in one swipe, Obi-Wan deprives Anakin of his left arm and BOTH legs! All Anakin is left with is his robotic right arm, his head, torso and pelvis. He's lying on the lava river bank and bursts into flames, screaming. Next scene, he's lying there, still alive, smoldering, scarred, bald and looking REALLY bad.

That's where the suit comes in.

I had no problem with the "Frankenstein-esque" first steps of Vader (they're not his real legs, after all, and he's got quite a few extra pounds of armor on him now...he's just getting his footing a bit, as any of us would in that situation). But the infamous "noooooooo!" yell certainly seemed out of whack somehow...forced, and drawn out for dramatic effect (like he was auditioning for a new WB teen drama?) when maybe just a loud, percussive one second "no!!!" (followed by further Force-assisted hissyfit) would've played better.

The final scenes were beautiful, and for a longtime fan perhaps even moving. You see infant Luke, given to his Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru on Tatooine. At this point, Obi-Wan in his hood and beard, all dramatically lit, you go "yeah, there's old Ben..." and it resonates very well. You will get a slight lump in your throat if you have any heart at all.

You know he's going to spend the next 20 years looking after Luke. And you understand now, for the first time, why Ben was so insistent that Luke leave his life there and come with him to Alderaan...Ben knew EXACTLY who this young farmboy was and his potential. The final scene was simply beautiful, with Owen and Beru holding infant Luke at the rim of their farmhouse crater, looking out onto the setting twin Tatooine suns in a pose exactly like that of Luke's 20 years later in Episode IV, when he looks to the suns, dreaming of a better life. I genuinely misted up just a tad and smiled a real smile and just said to myself "wow...now that's a fitting final shot...".

"Full circle" indeed.

On my Movie-O-Meter™, "Episode III" gets a solid 8.1. Better acting in a few places, the inclusion of some critical scenes and less gratuitous, distracting CGI would've kicked it up to a healthy 8.8, or higher!

For anyone worried, it's 10x better, more enjoyable, less boring, less slapstick, less annoying, more action-packed and more heavy/dramatic than "Episode I" and "Episode II" combined! You WILL enjoy it, I can just about promise that.

It easily fits into third slot of my favorite of all six, behind "Empire" and "A New Hope". It beats "Return of the Jedi" and the previous two prequels hands down, not even a contest.

The franchise/saga does indeed go out on a high note, thankfully. Lucas, in this last offering, seems to have "gotten it" a bit, and I only wish the previous two were this serious and weighty.

But hey, it IS Lucas after all, the master tinkerer, right? There's always a solid chance he'll go back and digitally erase Jake Lloyd and Jar Jar out of "The Phantom Menace" and fix some of the acting/dialogue in "Attack of the Clones"...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-05-19 at 09:27.
¡Damned!

2005-05-19, 09:27

Best review ever. You rule, 'Scates.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-19, 11:47

Haha, Lucas would never fix THAT stuff. The only changes he's made to the originals is to add more distracting CGI and a few extra, useless scenes.

More spoilers. I thought the "security camera" explanation was exceedingly weak. If they had security cameras in Palpatine's chamber so they were able to see Anakin's betrayal of Windu and his joining of the dark side, why didn't they just use those to spy on Palpatine? Wouldn't they have known of this treachery far sooner if they could have just checked the security logs? I dunno, something about security footage makes me cringe whenever I see it used in movies or TV because it seems like such a cop-out.

Overall the movie still ruled though.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-05-19, 12:29

I'm seeing it again tonight with friends (went alone last night, as is tradition).

I will be on the lookout for more things - good and bad. I was so amped last night from simply "being there and finally seeing it", a lot of things might've flown under my radar.

I'm looking forward to this evening.

I did notice:

- a Millennium Falcon type of ship in the Jedi port (very small, lower right of screen, coming in to land)
- Yoda's pod reminded me of ET's ship
- I liked R2's new method of exiting Anakin's starfighter
- Many scenes with Threepio looked CGI. Why?
- Palpatine gives me the willies. In a couple of scenes, while simply breathing/moaning to himself he sounded just like Regan from "The Exorcist" (kinda looked like her too )! That raspy, croaking sigh or breath. "Screw the Jedi...somebody call a priest!" Evil, evil motherfu...
- Clonetroopers looked horribly CGI (no, not in battle - where you'd accept it - just simply walking around, talking to Obi-Wan, etc. As in Threepio above, WTF? Is Lucas so into the digital CGI thing that he can't simply put a white armor suit on someone and film them walking around or standing there?
- There is a George Lucas cameo...when Anakin arrives at the opera and is walking from the hallway into Palpatine's box, check out the man on the left side of the screen, dressed like a general with blue skin.
- That blue Jedi woman is hot. Exposed midriff, nice apple butt, built like a house...is she part of the Jedi Sexpot Brigade? And are there more where she came from?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-05-19, 13:06

actually Luca, that footage you're talking about is taken within the Jedi temple, when palpatine is congradulating skywalker on a job well done.

however, that brings up one of many annoyances for me.

ok, so supposedly Anakin is willing to betray the Jedi since he believes they want to overthrow the council. how in the world would that justify his personally slaughtering the little jedi kids in training? they can't have known of this plot, so they're innocent. also, wouldn't it make more sense to train them to be sith instead of killing them all off?

it was so easy to turn Anakin, it should have been a snap to turn an 8 year old. besides which, didn't it ever occur to him that after slaughtering a bunch of innocent children, Padme might have issues with him?

then there was the "order 66" or whatever which meant the clone troopers were to kill all the Jedi. if we're to believe that hundreds of clone troopers all knew about this order ahead of time, before they even went out to the field, how in the world did the Jedi not get wind of this fact? surely they had to have someone on the inside who would know this stuff is going on.

something that really bothered me as well is that Anakin knew Palpatine was the Sith Lord. however, he wouldn't let samuel jackson kill him. i know he supposedly wants the power to save padme, but honestly. he then later talks about the Jedi trying to assasinate Palpatine so they can take power like he believes it when he knows for a fact it's a lie. they were trying to kill Palpatine since he's a Sith lord. where does all the righteous indignity stem from when he had the whole picture. he blathers about helping the republic when he knows it's a load of crap.

Also, didn't anyone else think that if Darth Vador did all this shit so Padme wouldn't die, he'd try to fucking raise her from the dead? that was the whole point of joining the dark side, right? how the fuck does he not even try to bring her back then?

i have more, but i'll let 'scates chew on my annoyances first.

Google is your frenemy.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-05-19, 13:53

Bring up interesting points, alcimedes does (uhoh...lingering effects of Yodasyntaxitis...)

Quote:
ok, so supposedly Anakin is willing to betray the Jedi since he believes they want to overthrow the council. how in the world would that justify his personally slaughtering the little jedi kids in training? they can't have known of this plot, so they're innocent. also, wouldn't it make more sense to train them to be sith instead of killing them all off?
They would grow up to become threats to the Sith, I guess. As for training them, maybe they were genuinely good and would've resisted? Anakin, from the get-go, always had a little shithead in him. Those younglings were probably more reflective of an Obi-Wan or Mace Windu type of Jedi, instead of a jealous, petty snot. In any case, makes for better drama. "He killed KIDS? That heartless, evil sonofab...". Probably had to do a few things like that to truly illustrate his badguyness.

Quote:
it was so easy to turn Anakin, it should have been a snap to turn an 8 year old.
See above. I think Anakin was an unstable wreck-waiting-to-happen from the start. He was a brat, punk kid (remember how he sassed Yoda in "Episode I"?), and only became more so as he got older and grew a mullett.

Quote:
besides which, didn't it ever occur to him that after slaughtering a bunch of innocent children, Padme might have issues with him?
Well, I'm betting he was banking on his old lady never finding out. I mean, who here among us hasn't done something that you really, really hope your S.O. never finds out about? Exactly. "No, Padmé...I don't know anything about those dead kids they found. What's for dinner?"

Quote:
then there was the "order 66" or whatever which meant the clone troopers were to kill all the Jedi. if we're to believe that hundreds of clone troopers all knew about this order ahead of time, before they even went out to the field, how in the world did the Jedi not get wind of this fact? surely they had to have someone on the inside who would know this stuff is going on.
I'm wondering - since they were clones and all - there was some sort of internal programming or encoding to them, allowing for this? Somehow the "order 66" was embedded into them somehow, but they just weren't aware? Having it activated or initiated somehow "switched it on"? I know, that's kinda weak...but I thought about that on the way home last night. Palpatine saw the big, ultimate picture all along. He probably had those Kamino cloners from "Episode II" put some sort of internal "when the shit goes down, this is what you do and who you answer to" device in them, biological or otherwise? Probably can't overthink this stuff too much...it makes for better drama, not knowing every little thing or attaching too much reason/reality to it all. Tons of inconsistencies spread throughout the entire saga. They're fun and cool to discuss, but I'm betting even Lucas himself probably doesn't have it all pinned down 100%.

Quote:
something that really bothered me as well is that Anakin knew Palpatine was the Sith Lord. however, he wouldn't let samuel jackson kill him. i know he supposedly wants the power to save padme, but honestly. he then later talks about the Jedi trying to assasinate Palpatine so they can take power like he believes it when he knows for a fact it's a lie. they were trying to kill Palpatine since he's a Sith lord. where does all the righteous indignity stem from when he had the whole picture. he blathers about helping the republic when he knows it's a load of crap.
I think, by that point, he was a lost cause. He'd crossed the line, went too far, helped kill Mace, knew his butt belonged to the Emperor, etc. He probably was in no position to opt out or tell Palpatine to bug off, so he just had to do his best AND still not ruffle any feathers on the homefront. But ultimately, as you saw, she didn't buy into his stuff and got REALLY turned off by him on that landing platform. He'd lost her at that point, I think ("I don't know you").

Quote:
Also, didn't anyone else think that if Darth Vador did all this shit so Padme wouldn't die, he'd try to fucking raise her from the dead? that was the whole point of joining the dark side, right? how the fuck does he not even try to bring her back then?
He was busy fighting Obi-Wan. "I can't resucitate this chick AND fight you too...COME ON!". He chokes her (I think his temper got away from him because as soon as she hit the ground, he had a strong "oh crap" look on his face), then Obi-Wan is coming down the ramp toward him. At that point - being officially Evil and all - he was more concerned with killing Jedi, even his old friend, than anything else.

He was just a mess by that point, I guess.

That is the ironic thing: he had those dreams of her dying in childbirth and was freaking out and doing all this horrible stuff for the opportunity to learn how to PREVENT it. And HE winds up being the one that makes it happen. Nice going, dumbass.

Stop and think of what an incredibly crappy day he had: disarmed (literally) a senior, ranking Jedi, bows down before a Sith lord, kills some kids and other Jedi in the temple, loses his temper and Force chokes his woman. Then winds up legless, missing ANOTHER arm ("Dammit!"), bald, scarred, burned to a crisp and left to die by his friend and mentor.

No wonder Vader was such a meanie. I would be too.

Quote:
i have more, but i'll let 'scates chew on my annoyances first.
Consider them chewed.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-05-19 at 14:03.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-05-19, 14:05

actually, i meant saving Padme when she's having her public funeral procession etc. also, did anyone else notice that palpatine told him after he agreed to join the dark side that he might not actually know how to keep someone from dying? i swear i heard him say "now together we can figure out the secret to blah" or something like that. maybe you can listen for it tonight.

Google is your frenemy.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-05-19, 14:17

Yeah, that's true. Palpatine lied. That's kinda in the book (the deception) and pretty much accepted by everyone who's got a say in it. He used that - knowing that was Anakin's weak spot - to push him over.

That's why Palpatine is a world-class stinker.

As for the funeral, I guess he was fully occupied being Darth Vader, overseeing the Death Star, etc. If he'd landed there and tried anything with her dead body...

I think the moment the armor and mask went on, his old life was completely over. He had no place anywhere but an Imperial ship or the Death Star.

Kinda sad, actually. You know what this does? It kinda makes you see Darth Vader a tad differently if you go back and now watch the original trilogy. He goes from being this pure evil bad-ass that we've feared (or cheered) for three decades to this sad-sack screwup who made one too many wrong, bad choices and paid dearly.

When that mask was being lowered onto his burned face, can you imagine what must've been running through his mind?

"This is not how I meant for any of this to go...".

Kind of a sad, tragic figure rather than an outright brute. Makes you wonder how much he resented the Emperor and probably considered taking him out himself if he thought he stood a chance.
¡Damned!

2005-05-19, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Makes you wonder how much he resented the Emperor and probably considered taking him out himself if he thought he stood a chance.
"Luke, join me...and we can rule the galaxy together as father and son" (Episode V)

I think he was about done with being the Emperor's bitch at that point.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-05-19, 14:44

Exactly.

And until last night, that scene/dialogue never really made sense to me.

"But they're on the same team...the Emperor is Vader's boss. Why does he want to destroy him? Does Vader not like him? Hmmm...what's the deal?"

It all makes a bit more sense now, which is one of the nice things about this movie. It addresses a few of those types of things, and it's very satisfying.

I don't think there was any true devotion or admiration for the Emperor on Vader's part. He lost too much, he realized he'd been duped and all he could do was his master's bidding for about 25 years. That HAD to have sucked.

Certainly makes those final moments of "Return of the Jedi" ring a bit sweeter, when he picks the old fart up and tosses him down that shaft.

"Episode III" is going to trigger a strong, huge resurgence of interest in the original trilogy, I guarantee you. Just watch...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-05-19, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
- That blue Jedi woman is hot. Exposed midriff, nice apple butt, built like a house...is she part of the Jedi Sexpot Brigade? And are there more where she came from?
Amy Allen? Seriously, I just went to imdb and she was on the front page.
imdb + Star Wars database + appearance schedule

I'd post an image from the imdb - but can't read the source code well enough to locate it. (I keep getting a blank page when I "open image in new tab" ... curse those wily imdb folk.) here's the link of her as a Jedi

All I want is a simple life
twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-05-19, 15:24

I'd Force hit it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-05-19, 15:26

double post...execute me.
rageous

Send a message via AIM to rageous Send a message via MSN to rageous  
2005-05-19, 15:56

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm no diehard Star Wars fan, but wasn't there a line in Ep I or II that went something like "There are only two Sith. A master and an apprentice. No more, no less" ???
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-05-19, 15:57

I loved the movie.

SLIGHT SPOILERS, NOT REALLY, BUT KINDA

I loved how all of the ships and other machinery looked just a step away from the stuff in ep. 4,5, and 6. But my problem was that Mace had a great opportunity to kill Palpatine, but instead felt the need to let him know how evil he had been. I know that it had to happen, but it still bugged meh. Many critics also said that the dialogue was just too stiff... well yes, but think about it. These guys are jedi, they aren't supposed to skip around and act like someone off of a soap opera, these guys are in total control over themselves and they aren't likely to show much emotion anyway. This has got to be my favorite episode. Ever. Some of ya'll say that you understand why Vader is so cruel, but I don't. I see your point kind of, but still. That kid Anakin wasn't mature enough in some areas to be a master on the council. His winding up being practically limbless is all karma in my eyes. But still, the point is debatable.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-05-19, 16:05

You all remember that Anakin was "to bring balance to the Force". It always occurred to me that in Eps 1&2 that the Force was pretty biased in favour of the light side. To bring balance, he had to be evil. I'm surprised those brainy Jedi never worked that out.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-05-19, 16:18

I walked around outside the theater before and after the show recording the chatter... it got funny when I wandered across this white hip-hop guy who was talking into a camera... just slipped him the recorder and he started going....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-19, 16:48

A few things...

1) Clearly the Sith are never above betraying their masters in order to get the power for themselves. While the dialog in Ep. III made Vader's lines in Eps. V and VI make more sense to some people, it seemed obvious to others. I think it's kind of strange that Vader didn't eliminate the Emperor sooner, but oh well, that's part of the original trilogy anyway. He was just biding his time and letting the Emperor build up a nice strong empire for him.

2) I guess the "there are two Sith" thing is just that there are two in a team. The Sith have been around as long as the Jedi, like a counterpoint. And while I know that anything non-movie isn't exactly fair game, if anyone here has played KOTOR you know what I'm talking about. The game takes place 4,000 years before the movies and deals with a resurgence of the Sith as they take on the Old Republic. I mean, there's a freakin' army of Sith. I doubt they'd be a significant power in the universe. Even the two most powerful Force users in the galaxy working together wouldn't be able to last long.

3) Although the actual moment he turned left something to be desired, Anakin's fall was still great. Like pscates said, it makes you feel kind of sorry for him. It also gives a good explanation as to why he was able to be turned back to the light side after so long.
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-05-19, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
You all remember that Anakin was "to bring balance to the Force". It always occurred to me that in Eps 1&2 that the Force was pretty biased in favour of the light side. To bring balance, he had to be evil. I'm surprised those brainy Jedi never worked that out.
Remember the scene where Yoda, Mace, and Obi were all on that ship together talking about Anakin and Palpatine's "friendship." Obi Wan brings up that Anakin is to bring balance to the force, but Yoda says something along the lines "Anakin could be the 'chosen one' to those who misread the prophecy." Luke is the chosen one (I think...), not Anakin. Your saying that he had to be evil to balance out the force... how? The force clearly becomes unbalanced once again. Palpatine's the Sith Lord, Anakin joins him, the remaining jedi are wiped out practically. How is that balancing?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-05-19, 17:23

Maybe he means it leaves 2 against 2? Palp & Vades Vs Yoda & Obes
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-05-19, 17:28

If that's true, then why does Luke have to kill Vader? Although you have a good point, hard to debate that one.
omem

2005-05-19, 20:42

I agree with most of what was said here. The NOOO part and the reason why anakin went to the dark side (and how easily) were the ones i disliked the most, but overall, its a good star wars movie. The best of the new trilogy, i dont know if the best of all..i like V a lot.

R2-D2 is wicked in this episode! I enjoyed it alot! Too bad he goes back to being a blue trash can with wheels on episode IV :/

My Apple Gear: iMac G5 1.8GHz 17'' + iPod photo 40GB + iPod shuffle (green) + BlackBook 2.4GHz
Apple Communities: LiveJournal | Last.fm
My sites: Glassjaw.net | HeadAutomatica.net
%_La

2005-05-19, 23:32

I just did lights for a symphony concert, the last piece was the Star Wars theme... and the conductor used a glow-stick for his baton! I cracked up.. great.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-20, 00:15

there was no real exploration in terms of dark versus light... lucas could and should have made vader the anti-hero... his choice to befuddle the whole dark side choice by implying massive manipulation on the part of sidious (let alone the distrustful jedi's), screwed this movie up good. if vader was convincing in his choice and it was clear that he could have saved padme (or even if he did but she killed herself, not this cheesy will to live garbage -- she isn't 90) then at least at some level we would understand the attraction of the darkside. i left the theater feeling like both sides were whining brats and i would have the whole lot killed the first chance i got.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-20, 02:55

I totally dug it. It was a very entertaining, well structured, and powerful movie. It had its flaws, and there were some things here and there that I would have liked to have seen done differently, or things that could have been explored a little bit better or whatever. But on the whole, the way that it was told, did work, and it was well done, and I enjoyed it.