AirPods Max - Over the ear with active noise cancelling

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AirPods Max - Over the ear with active noise cancelling
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-21, 10:19

That would actually make a lot of sense given the seal in the ear canal with the Pros and the fabric "seal" with the Maxs.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-12-21, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
FWIW, I think Marco Arment said that the ANC is slightly worse compared to the Pros, but the transparency mode is way better than he's seen on any headphones.
That seems to be the general consensus. They do have more mics, so not having better transparency mode would have been a bit of a let down.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-28, 13:44

I just …

I don't …

Uhm …

Yeah.

Quote:
… "looks elegant, emphasizing the status of the owners and their impeccable taste," for people who "want to always be on top."
$108,000?

How much money is too much money? When you have lost any sense of the value of said money—along with the suffering of others—then you have too much money.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-28, 14:10

Tacky, tacky and some more tacky. $100K to listen to Cardi B and podcasts, huh? Whatever torques your tater! I just can't even comprehend that level of wealth/clue-starvation.

Some doofus in the MacRumors comments pointed out how that voids the warranty.

I don't think anyone dropping six-figures on such a thing is all that concerned about the warranty on a $500 item. I truly don't think it registers one bit.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-28, 14:22

I wonder what would happen if that same jackass took $108,000 to their local Cabobs and Tacos® and just ordered a ton of food and fed a bunch of people? How many businesses could you save with that, instead of padding your own ego?

Seriously, folks, if you need that kind of ego boost, go to Costco, buy $50,000 worth of canned goods, and dump it on your local homeless or women's shelter. Feed a widow and her kids. Buy a house for someone who lost theirs in a fire and was uninsured.

Do something not retarded!

You can genuinely affect lives and still have $58,000 to blow on cocaine.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-12-28, 14:35

What, you don't spend $100k on headphones each year? Peasant. To be honest though, I think buying $100k worth of these would be a better show of your economic might than getting gold cups put on them. The things are heavy enough already.

Buying Apple products to show off that your rich is stupid. Get a Bentley or something that is really worth $150k or something like that.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-28, 14:43

I'm big on people doing whatever they hell they want with their money (I'd never want anyone tell me what to do with mine), but I'm going to hope that maybe these people are somehow doing both...for every $100K they drop on something silly/pointless, maybe they're putting another $100K somewhere good? Maybe that's how they justify/allow themselves the former?

"Hey, I can be a ostentatious, oblivious twat because I just funded that orphanage down the road for another year."

But I'm also a realist and I'm not quite ready to go betting the farm on that just yet.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-12-28, 17:52

If you're also offended by the Caviar products, you should check out MKBHD's hot take on one of their recent modded iPhones.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-29, 13:31

Now I would buy a phone with some moon rock in it.

I'm just not into gold.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-30, 21:46

That was actually a really good video Brad. It kinda sums up my thoughts on it. I'm not going to judge others on how they spend their money until I'm their bookkeeper or parent. Given I hate going through my own budget, you know I'm not going to be handling other's.

I do like the idea of buying a piece of the moon outright though! I never even thought of that. Thanks Neil!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2021-01-28, 11:55

If the battery was user replaceable and Apple offered replacement for more than 5 years, I might take a look. I’m still rocking a set of AKG K-55 cans I bought in 2002 though and I doubt Apple’s offering will have the same longevity. Sucks, because I love cans way more than cramming stuff into my ear canal.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-28, 12:19

I wonder how these things are selling? And who they're selling to?

Not that it counts for much - because who among us is out and about among crowds, walking through malls, airports, etc. these days - but in what little I am out (grocery store, the occasional socially-distanced restaurant or pub visit), I've yet to see any of these in the wild. Granted, those places aren't exactly where you'd see people wearing such things, so I know that's not a fully accurate picture.

I guess we'll know, within a year or so, if these things are the new AirPods...or the new iPod Hi-Fi.

At $500+, I'm kinda betting on the latter. I do see AirPods quite a bit, nearly everywhere I go (even in these limited times). I'll see at least two people wearing them on any grocery store visit these past 6-9 months. So I know those are popular. But they're also less than half the price and not nearly as cumbersome or "big on the head". That counts for a lot.

I love listening to music and podcasts, but these things would have to be well under $300 - and when I say "well", I mean like $229 or so - for me to even begin to think about. And, even then, my old-school wired earbuds that came with my iPhone SE still sound good to me (clear, bass, etc.). And while I'd enjoy the lack of tangled wires represented by the AirPods, I just can't bring myself to fork over the $159-249 for those either.

It's sometimes hard to be an Apple user/fan and a practical-to-a-fault, world-class cheapskate. If I wasn't wired the way I am, I'd already have about one of everything. But I just can't seem to ever easily pull that trigger...I'll think of 4x the number of reasons not to buy something (Apple and otherwise).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-28 at 12:32.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2021-01-28, 13:03

I can’t always play through my 1000W amp at home so I play through headphones. If I could get a pair that worked with my wired stuff (ugh, $35 extra) but can also work wirelessly with all the computing stuff I use all day that would be perfect.

These would fit my particular purpose, but the 550 price does give me pause as I have a working pair of headphones and normally loathe replacing a working device. Not sure I would wear them out as I’ve worn my AKGs out a few times and I don’t like it.

They’re too big for me to feel comfortable wearing them on the bus or walking around town. You know, whenever that happens again. I’ve been working from home for 50 weeks now and it’s starting to get to me LOL.

ETA: I’ve been watching these on the Apple shopping app, and they go out of stock a day after coming into stock. Either the stock numbers are low, or these are more popular than I would have expected for sure.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-28, 13:21

Oh wow. They’re moving, but yeah...what’s the reason? Interesting. If 50 of them are coming in, and going out, that’s something. If they’re only getting 1-2 at a time, well...

Doing what you do, do the specs/performance on the Apple things compare favorably to your older AKG? Are you pretty picky/demanding or half deaf like me at this point and can barely tell anymore? I’ve spent two-plus decades in front of Fender Twins and, for a while, a Bassman...so I’m wrecked.

Too “cool” (stupid) to put something in my ears, like I should’ve..
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-28, 13:44

I would think someone in the studio would want to stick with something that can handle a little abuse. Apple's things look to be for the couch-sitting type, not rocking-to-the-core studio musicians.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-28, 14:58

I still think the Apple things are a fashion element/statement as much as anything, otherwise they'd come in just black or grey and they would've skipped the three pretty colors (colors that, as with the phone, watches and other things over the years will probably change and update once a year or so, with each new version/refresh).

Serious sound/audio hounds aren't basing their purchase on shades of green (I wouldn't think), so I think these are for the people who inexplicably dance on the street/kitchens in TV commercials , the selfie/TikTok/influencer crowd and, yes, the casual listener with $500+ to spend on such things (and like the three color options available).

Not slamming any of the above, mind you. But if Apple was positioning these are "shit-serious audiophile accessories", a) they'd probably be $849-1,149, b) they'd just come in black/grey and c) nobody would buy them.

They know what they're doing, at least on the surface/front-end. Time will tell the true outcome, but if these things are moving, then they've got another successful product on their hands. And it's a genuine surprise to me because all I've heard for 9-10 straight months is how everyone is hurting/suffering, tightening their belt, doing without, scaling back, etc. So it's always interesting when you see that real life isn't always fully reflecting what you see/hear on the news or online/social media 24/7. Dropping $500+ on headphones wasn't something I would've expected to hit big right now, but everyone's story/situation is different; can't distill The World down to a single situation. Plus, something like this might be exactly what those stuck at home, isolated need...maybe it makes them enjoy their music, podcasts more since that's about all they can damn do anymore in some places.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2021-01-28, 22:11

There’s no way the Apple headphones would compare to any decent wired headset simply because Bluetooth can’t transmit uncompressed audio. At one point the limit was 128Kbps. I don’t know if it’s better now, but it still isn’t anywhere near uncompressed CD bit rates.

And now the GAS has subsided, LOL.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-01-29, 03:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
There’s no way the Apple headphones would compare to any decent wired headset simply because Bluetooth can’t transmit uncompressed audio.
You can connect a wire (though, annoyingly, that costs extra money).

Quality isn't the main issue there, though; latency is.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2021-01-29, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
You can connect a wire (though, annoyingly, that costs extra money).

Quality isn't the main issue there, though; latency is.
Yeah, I mentioned the $35 cable in an earlier post of mine.