User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Rizzoli and Isles (TNT - Tuesday night Nov. 27)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Choose all options that apply.
I've watched Rizzoli and Isles. 4 26.67%
I've never watched this program. 11 73.33%
I thought the program was worth watching. 3 20.00%
I may watch it in the future. 4 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Rizzoli and Isles (TNT - Tuesday night Nov. 27)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-07-07, 21:06

"Rizzoli and Isles" is a police and medical examiner drama on TNT on Monday nights during the summer (in case you've never seen it before). I think it's pretty good. Detective Jane Rizzoli is played by Angie Harmon, a visually appealing person. The story lines can be rather suspenseful at times, and I was wondering if anyone at AN ever watches the show. If so, what do you think of it? There's a premiere this coming Monday night, July 11, which should be worth watching. A recent episode had me on the edge of my seat.

http://www.tnt.tv/series/rizzoliandisles/

Angie Harmon
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-07-07, 21:24

Never seen it, but the names sound really familiar. Is it kind of like Bones, then, where the scientist and cop team up and solve stuff?

Also, that is a fiiiiiiiiiiine picture. someonehadtosayit

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-07-07, 21:30

Oops. I forgot it was a multiple choice poll! I should have clicked "I've never watched this program." and "I may watch it in the future.," but I only clicked the last one. But hopefully you get my drift!

Full episodes are watchable at TNT.tv, for the cable-less people out there.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-07-07, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Never seen it, but the names sound really familiar. Is it kind of like Bones, then, where the scientist and cop team up and solve stuff?

Also, that is a fiiiiiiiiiiine picture. someonehadtosayit
Yes, a fine picture.

The medical examiner is also quite appealing, and she goes to the crime scene in high heels, whereas Rizzoli is definitely *not* going to the crime scene in high heels. Yes, they do team up. I think I mentioned before in a book thread that Tess Gerritsen wrote the Rizzoli and Isles books, and I think you said you'd read something she wrote.

I'll look for a pic of the medical examiner. Honestly, a recent episode - this past Monday - had me riveted to my chair it was so good. I think many people haven't seen the show because it's only on in the summer. That's why I decided to start a thread. Maybe more people will watch.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-07-07, 21:41

Sasha Alexander, the medical examiner

In the program, she has blond-ish colored hair, btw, and it looks a lot better than this dark shade.

Last edited by Windswept : 2011-07-08 at 17:01.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2011-07-07, 21:41

Only watched bits of it. The other girl used to be on NCIS.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-07, 21:43

I don't know exactly why, but I don't like a single one of these crime shows with female leads. I like all the actresses in other roles, but just not as leading cops, lawyers, or doctors.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-07-07, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I don't know exactly why, but I don't like a single one of these crime shows with female leads. I like all the actresses in other roles, but just not as leading cops, lawyers, or doctors.
Have you considered sexism?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-08, 06:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Have you considered sexism?
Yes, but it's not that. I love sex.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-07-08, 07:36

Actually smart women who know how to take charge of a situation are appealing as leads (and are sexy to boot). Very, actually.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-08, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Actually smart women who know how to take charge of a situation are appealing as leads (and are sexy to boot). Very, actually.
I don't disagree with that notion, in theory, anyway. But how often do smart, sexy women become homicide detectives or federal agents or sleuthy coroners in reality? And why are all the tv versions of these female characters so good looking? Where is the female version of Monk or House? I think I could go for that, actually.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-07-08, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I think I mentioned before in a book thread that Tess Gerritsen wrote the Rizzoli and Isles books, and I think you said you'd read something she wrote.
Aha! I will now scour the library for the books this week; I have read some of her other work before, so the name is familiar.

Quote:
Thisthisthis. I have a thing for smart and competent brunettes; Jadzia Dax from Star Trek, Emily Prentiss on Criminal Minds, and Ziva David on NCIS immediately jump to mind.

Quote:
I don't disagree with that notion, in theory, anyway. But how often do smart, sexy women become homicide detectives or federal agents or sleuthy coroners in reality? And why are all the tv versions of these female characters so good looking? Where is the female version of Monk or House? I think I could go for that, actually.
I don't like men like that, and even I know that men are just as sexualized on television. There are a metric fuckton of females who wet their panties over the guy who plays House, for example. Many shows with male leads- Bones, NCIS, Criminal Minds- often have smart and sexy male leads who are detectives, FBI agents, ex-military men. Why aren't people complaining that the TV versions of male characters are oversexualized and an unrealistic portrayal of the actual hotness of such men in reality? The accusations of "but [females in job x] don't really look like that" stem from the concept that manly men in those kinds of male-dominated positions are obviously attractive, but a female can't possibly be attractive because those jobs go against the sweetness and femininity of real women, so it's of course unrealistic. (Read: the implication that women in 'manly' jobs must be masculine and therefore a lesbian.) It reminds me of all of the Star Trek: Voyager jokes about how of course the female captain lost the ship for 7 years- it's a supposedly-funny response based in the idea that crossing outmoded stereotypes of gender roles is hilarious.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-08, 10:45

I'll tell ya, there are a couple of shows right now with strong female "leads" (or at least co-leads) that I dig: Game of Thrones and Sons of Anarchy. Oh, and Weeds. None of those are "cop shows" (or CSI or procedurals). Maybe it's simply the *type* of show that many of these women are on and not simply the fact that they are women per se. The only true "law and order" show that I like right now is Justified, but I don't really go for all the other ones.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-07-08, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Only watched bits of it. The other girl used to be on NCIS.
I didn't know that until I caught a few episodes this past Monday. I had tuned in for Rizzoli and Isles, but kept seeing Angie Harmon in another show. I didn't watch coherently enough to find out what kind of part she played. But when she plays a lead detective, there's a lot of action for her. Also, the entire Rizzoli family occasionally shows up in an episode, partly because Jane Rizzoli's brother, Frank Rizzoli, is a uniformed police officer. He played a role in an incredibly tense, suspenseful episode this past Monday.

Quote:
I sort of know what you mean. I wasn't all that crazy about the woman who plays the Closer, for example. It was partly the syrupy southern accent that bothered me, I think.

Quote:
I agree. That's exactly why I like Jane Rizzoli. I do like that she is quite luscious ( ), and they make a point from time to time that she's not gay. In fact, she signed up on a lesbian website in one show, in the process of seeking out a killer, and she spent time in a lesbian bar trying to pick up someone who might be the killer. She was very appealing as a lesbian - to the other lesbians - but she felt uncomfortable in the role.

Quote:
Actually, I attended a presentation given by a female police commander not too long ago. She had recently married a male police commander that she met during a course given by the FBI at Quantico, and she had just given birth to their baby, so she was staying at home with the infant. BUT... she was *VERY* good-looking, young, and had a PhD in criminal justice! She is going to start writing police novels, and has been giving talks to writers groups. So, such women do exist in real life. We just don't see them, I guess.

Jada Pinkett Smith (Will Smith's wife) plays the nurse in Hawthorne, and in the episode or two that I watched, she acted pretty bitchy and on her high horse, I thought. Not appealing at all with that kind of attitude. Ick.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-07-08, 17:20

More pics

Edit: Angie Harmon will be on The View on Monday, July 11, to talk about the Rizzoli and Isles premiere.

Last edited by Windswept : 2011-07-08 at 18:41.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-08, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post

Actually, I attended a presentation given by a female police commander not too long ago. She had recently married a male police commander that she met during a course given by the FBI at Quantico, and she had just given birth to their baby, so she was staying at home with the infant. BUT... she was *VERY* good-looking, young, and had a PhD in criminal justice! She is going to start writing police novels, and has been giving talks to writers groups. So, such women do exist in real life. We just don't see them, I guess.
Notice how she was married with a kid? That's real life. In tv life, none of these women are married or have kids. (Do they?)
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2011-07-08, 23:14

I watched last season for about three episodes and the writing was trite and a little obvious, almost as bad as that awful Timothy Hutton show. I like Angie Harmon though and thought about giving it another try this season.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-07-09, 09:39

You forgot the "I will watch when they jump the shark (and/or each other), by having them both go topless after the ratings wane in season 4" option.

And yah, as for Leverage, I knew I'd never watch it based on the first commercials they aired. Beyond cheezy.

You want to catch some good writing, watch Wilfred on FX Thursday nights. Holy crap is that show funny. Definitely NSFW or kids, but I about fell out of bed last night catching up on this week's episode. It is, as the English say (and I never use this word) -- Brilliant.

...into the light of a dark black night.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-07-09, 12:30

I've seen it... it was OK, I'd watch it again if I had nothing better to do or watch at the time.

As others have said, it's nothing special - just another 1-hour crime drama in the usual formula. If anyone is discussing either lead actress of R & I for an Emmy nomination, it seems to have escaped my notice.

If you're looking for strong, real, and 3-dimensional female characters, you need look no further than Melissa Leo and Khandi Alexandar (both are mentioned on nearly every short list of potential Emmy nominees), as well as Kim Dickins.

As an added bonus, they happen to appear on a show that is completely free from the formulaic, wrapped-up-in-one-hour, whodunit cheesefest that passes for "plot" on the vast majority of American TV shows.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-09, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
I, as well as Kim Dickins.
One of my favorite actresses. Zero Effect! Now that was a strong female role. One of my favorite movies. Nobody else saw it, though.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-07-12, 21:42

The scene that ended the first season of Rizzoli and Isles showed an undercover cop grabbing Rizzoli hostage and holding her in front of him as he tried to escape down the stone steps of police headquarters. Watching police couldn't fire for fear of hitting Jane Rizzoli, so she pressed the gun he was holding on her into her own stomach and forced the gun to fire through her body into his, killing him. A pretty intense ending, and terribly suspenseful to have to wait for what happens next.

Anyway, I just *knew* that the premiere season opening episode could't match up to the one that ended last season, and it sure didn't. I was overly judgmental, probably, because I wanted it to be good. But it wasn't. In fact, it was pretty tedious, though perhaps I would have liked it more had I not been hoping for the best. Ah well, so it goes.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-14, 11:07

The Emmy noms came out today and "The Good Wife" was nominated for best drama. Is it good? I don't really watch network tv these days.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-07-14, 13:49

Quote:
The Emmy noms came out today and "The Good Wife" was nominated for best drama. Is it good? I don't really watch network tv these days.
I enjoy watching it. Definitely better than most network dramas, but I'm not sure that it's Emmy-worthy. I think it got nominated to throw a bone to the broadcast networks, who otherwise would be dominated by HBO and AMC shows.

EDIT: At least one critic agrees...

Quote:
Perhaps the biggest surprise was making up for years of neglect and finally giving Friday Night Lights the credit it deserved as a drama series. It doesn't exactly wipe away the shame and embarrassment of ignoring The Wire for five seasons, but it helps. And yet, even that nomination -- which might rightly be called shocking -- couldn't mask the regrettable oversights in the same category.

No Justified. No Treme. No Sons of Anarchy. Those three are inexcusable. Who do you knock out? Easy -- Dexter, which is getting a little long in the tooth and The Good Wife, which has no business being in the discussion. Of course, business probably played a role in that nomination, since the broadcast networks would have cried foul. Yes, Mad Men is a slam dunk and HBO was rightly rewarded for two of its gems in Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones (both freshman series). But not including Justified or Treme at the very least looks suspect.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-14, 14:38

Exactly. In fact I tweeted the same thing a few hours ago:

Quote:
5 out of the 6 Emmy nominated dramas are my favs. But what the heck is The Good Wife? Never even heard of that one. Must be on network tv.
Quote:
I would have nominated Justified or Sons of Anarchy for that sixth spot...
Quote:
Maybe the committee has some All-Star game-like clause forcing them to nominate at least one network show?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-07-14, 18:20

Given that there are more than just 3 or 4 networks producing TV shows these days, do you think the Emmys should take a cue from the Oscars and move to more than 6 nomination slots for major categories?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-07-14, 19:23

I enjoyed Justified when I watched it last year. Few things are funnier to me than Walton Goggins in full-on sinister hillbilly bastard mode (he even slipped into it a few times on The Shield when doing some undercover work). It was a neat show, only because I've known some folks like that.

"Holy hell, I've got cousins who could be on this show!"

The Sons of Anarchy, however, is the most overwrought, trying-too-hard piece-of-crap I've ever sat through. I gave it numerous tries, thinking "I like all the cast members, and the general plot/setting is kinda interesting". But I've never seen a more self-consciously "bad-ass" piece of programming. I suppose there are lowlife jugheads out there who are just like that (would rather fight than fuck, wake up hating law and order, etc.), but it's just not all that fun to sit through, truth be told. I know I watched about 8-10 episodes and just could not get into it. At all.

I'm thinking "they're in this small town...how does everyone not know what they're up to and bust their punk asses?!?"

Katey Sagal's massive hotness is the only redeeming quality, IMO. And even she scares me sometimes.

And Ron Perlman still looks like a chimpanzee, no matter what role he's playing. I see him in something and I just have an uncontrollable urge to eat a banana and fling poop.

I've never seen "Treme", but I'll be honest...I've pretty much seen and heard about all of the Crescent City I care to, these past five or so years*. Watching a fictionalized TV drama about it holds zero appeal for me at this point. Sorry...I'm officially Big Easy-ed out (but I also feel the same way about shows set in L.A., NYC and Miami, so let's not take it too personally, or break a land speed record trying to defend its honor, shall we?).

But I hear it's pretty good and interesting. So who knows...one day I may give it a shot (I'm the guy who came into The Sopranos about 5-6 years late, and fell in love with everything about it). It took A&E putting it in syndication a few years ago for me to finally realize "holy crap, what an awesome show!"

* Countdown to FFL showing up to give me a verbal smack for saying that, in 5, 4, 3...
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-14, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
Given that there are more than just 3 or 4 networks producing TV shows these days, do you think the Emmys should take a cue from the Oscars and move to more than 6 nomination slots for major categories?
All I know is you compare this year's noms to 2007 (Boston Legal, Heroes, Grey's Anatomy, House, and The Sopranos) and it's a hell of a lot better tv world we live in now. That year we had 4 network shows and 1 cable, now we have 5 cable shows and 1 token network show. Crazy.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-07-15, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I've never seen "Treme", but I'll be honest...I've pretty much seen and heard about all of the Crescent City I care to, these past five or so years*. Watching a fictionalized TV drama about it holds zero appeal for me at this point. Sorry...I'm officially Big Easy-ed out (but I also feel the same way about shows set in L.A., NYC and Miami, so let's not take it too personally, or break a land speed record trying to defend its honor, shall we?).

But I hear it's pretty good and interesting. So who knows...one day I may give it a shot (I'm the guy who came into The Sopranos about 5-6 years late, and fell in love with everything about it). It took A&E putting it in syndication a few years ago for me to finally realize "holy crap, what an awesome show!"

* Countdown to FFL showing up to give me a verbal smack for saying that, in 5, 4, 3...
I'll try not to disappoint!

Treme has a whole lot going for it. As someone who knows the NOLA music scene better than most natives, it is scary accurate for fiction - better than most documentaries. Plus, there is a whole lot of really good musical performances (accurately reflecting the diverse styles of NOLA music), performed by both fictional and non-fictional musicians (and even combinations of both). And even I manage to learn things I never knew about NOLA music and cultural history from watching.

It's downright surreal to visit NOLA (as I did last month) and view the latest episode of Treme on the bigscreen at a neighborhood bar (the Hi-Ho Lounge) that is the location for several scenes in the episode, while standing next to actual musicians who played themselves in brief appearances on the show. And I also got to talk to a drummer that I've been friends with for years about his budding friendship with Steve Zahn as a result of playing real drums in his fictional band. Turns out that Zahn is a pretty cool individual....

So, yes - I first started watching it because of the NOLA music connection, and to look for some of my favorite musicians (and it has wildly exceeded my expectations on those grounds). But it's the writing, the plots, and the acting that makes it the most compelling, and got me hooked. David Simon and his team do really, really great work. If I have any complaints, it's that the plot moves slowly in some episodes - though I understand that's just Simon's usual style. Honestly, I think the show might be more commercially successful if not for the NOLA setting - I'm sure you're not the only one avoiding it simply because of "Big Easy Burnout".

I'd advise picking up or renting Season One on DVD. I'm pretty confident that if you watched it, the show's creative qualities would overcome any residual NOLA burnout. And remember - what you're burned out on is the overly-cliched picture painted over and over by national media regarding post-Katrina NOLA - the show does a fantastic job of telling the real story through fictionalized characters, just like The Wire did with Baltimore.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-07-15, 14:51

I'll give it a shot one day. All these shows are on disc now, or available through the various online outlets. Not having cable anymore, I have to go that way to get anything.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2011-07-15, 17:31

season two of Treme was twice as good as the first season, dare I say it's approaching The Wire territory, Khandi Alexander (NewsRadio & CSI) & Melissa Leo were amazing this year, and Wendell Pierce's storyline (leading his own band) was great, causing him to throw the "McNulty you didn't just do that" eyeball roll at least a couple times a show.
Much as I miss John Goodman, his part was just a downer (although necessary) in the first season.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"