AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

The Adventures of Meerkat!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Adventures of Meerkat!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-10-23, 08:35

I hope to design a running series of awesome photos and storylines of great knitted meerkat fun. I promise I will have a site and decent photos running sometime before November, but I currently can't find my camera SD card so you have to deal with crappy iPhone photos for now.

Until the next time, I present to you:

MEERKAT DAX!

Dax's introduction! Here she is, perching on my desk, surveying the rest of my room and probably appalled by the mess.

Dax climbs on my clock because it's the only not-monitor thing to climb on right now and I refused to let her climb on my monitor.

Dax in her new home. I had been wondering what the hell to do with this glass shelf; it looked great when I bought the desk but can't really hold much. Now it's going to be the Official Meerkat Resting Place. Also pictured is a McDonalds mini Ty Beanie Baby, nicknamed Arctic because it kind of reminds me of an Articuno which is my favorite Pokemon. (Don't judge me like that.)

Anyways, here are the sample photos. Real photos and a storyline to come! Especially given that Dax is coming with me to the Apple Store next Saturday when we go to pick up the Mac Mini, so you'll have awesome photos from there.) And expect more fun as I add future meerkats. Believe me, there will be future meerkats. A Carth Onasi for KotOR is my next desire.

Adventures of Meerkat is brought to you by Capella's creative mind. niftyknits is the original creator of the meerkats and credit for that concept should go to her.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder

Last edited by Capella : 2009-10-23 at 16:09. Reason: added disclaimer
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-23, 13:06

And I'm glad I'm not the only twentysomething who still has a favorite Pokémon. <3 <3
ime_NY

2009-10-23, 15:24

Capella, this is awesome!

Are you going to trademark/copyright this character?

I think Dax should meet my knitted pet, but I won't debut my pet here until my trademark come through
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-23, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime_NY View Post
Capella, this is awesome!

Are you going to trademark/copyright this character?
I believe Meerkat Dax comes from planet Etsy/Regretsy.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-10-23, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I believe Meerkat Dax comes from planet Etsy/Regretsy.
Correct.

I believe it was Brad who pointed out the Trek meerkats. Intrigued, I headed over and saw that niftyknits did custom meerkats as well. So I sent her some pictures of Jadzia and asked her if she could do a Dax, and she said yes. (I believe it took her two to three days from the date of first PM to the sale going up. It was impressive.)

As the Dax was on her way, my friend E was like "you should take pictures of her doing cool things!" And I was like "yeah, it could be Meerkat Adventures!"

Basically, one of my favorite things on the Internet is Cleolinda's Secret Life of Dolls. (Cleolinda is Internet-famous for doing "Movies in Fifteen Minutes". You may have read some of them. If you haven't, google them. They're absolutely made of win.) SLOD is about Cleo's doll collection, collectively known as "The Shelfians" because they live on The Shelf. The Shelfians hang out and interact and form relationships and rivalries and are generally awesome. I highly recommend them!

So I realized that I could pretty much do SLOD with meerkats. Of course, I'm not planning to be quite that derivative. Cleo's humor mostly stems from doll-doll interaction, and right now I have only one meerkat, so I can't do that yet. Eventually, though, I plan to have a combination of meerkat-driven plot and just random adventures around the people-world that I can hopefully infuse with my own humor to make it reminiscent of SLOD without being a straight out copy.

So I contacted niftyknits, and we worked out that I can do Adventuers of Meerkat, so long as I link back to her on the site (and to be extra-safe I'll do it on every post.) So, since the meerkats are someone else's brainchild, I can't copyright them, nor would I really want to. This is just me playing on the Internet, folks, it's not serious business.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
ime_NY

2009-10-23, 21:35

Wow. Colossal blunder on my part

I had honestly thought Dax was your intellectual property.

Must say, the meerkat looks really cute.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-10-24, 01:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime_NY View Post
I had honestly thought Dax was your intellectual property.

See matching "spots" and uniform.