AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Jury duty summons...what can I expect?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Jury duty summons...what can I expect?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-01-10, 20:38

I made it to 44 without ever doing this. Came in the mail today. I report to the city court in downtown Chattanooga at 9am on Tuesday, January 21 (a week-and-a-half from now).

What, exactly, can I expect? How does this all work? What will I be doing? Will I automatically be put on a trial, or is it more of a pool/selection situation, and a lot of sitting around/waiting?

Anyone AN'ers with experience/background in this who can share some info/insight? I hate going into things totally blind...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-01-10, 20:55

Body cavity searches.
¡Damned!

2014-01-10, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
… is it more of a pool/selection situation, and a lot of sitting around/waiting?
This. You'll be called in, sit on your ass until the attorneys put you through voir dire, then hear back if you've been selected for the trial.

Depending on what sort of case you'll be potentially be hearing, your answers will either put you in or send you home.

So it goes.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-01-10, 21:12

This might be the sort of thing that varies by location. A quick call to the courthouse on Monday would probably clear things up.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2014-01-10, 21:14

Just google "how to get out of jury duty" and you'll find plenty of effective tactics.
¡Damned!

2014-01-10, 21:27

I was going to mention the whole "if you want to get out of it" thing, but really, there's enough knee-jerkers in the world that get on a jury and don't look at the evidence so much as they go with their pre-concieved notions about whatever. We'd be lucky to have an even-keeled guy like Paul on the jury if we ever went to trial - unless we were guilty as hell - then he'd throw the book at us.

Seriously though. Just answer honestly, and it'll come down to what the case is actually about whether you get picked or tossed.

(I'm secretly hoping that the defendant either broke into a practice space and stole a bunch of guitars or he's involved with gaming the trivia championships for profit … god help him)

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-01-10 at 21:37.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-01-10, 21:57

Totally...he's toast! It's city court. I guess it could be anything...rental/lease disputes, burglary or fraud stuff or even up to serious crimes (murder, rape and kidnapping...goodness knows we've had our share here). I just don't want to see horrible photos or have to watch some family member get on the stand all crying and distraught. It's one thing on a TV show or movie, but that stuff in real life would be tough to be part of. I'll just see what happens Tuesday after next.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-01-10, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Body cavity searches.
Cool, just another Saturday night, then.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-01-10, 22:04

Over here one gets a summons by mail, but that's just preliminary stuff. The night before, the district/county puts info up on their website or on their automated telephone system informing you if you have to show up. Only then, would you have to appear at the court and wait around to see if you get to sit in on a trial. I've only ever been selected past the mail stage once, and I totally forgot to show up. They ended up rescheduling me for a date a month later, but then I never got past the mail stage again.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-01-11, 11:46

Paul, if it's anything like Illinois you'll progress thusly:

1. Show up at the court and you'll be directed to a large "jury pool" room where there are a couple hundred people sitting around, reading, picking their nose, etc.

2. In that room you'll get a number assigned to you. You'll sit there and wait for a couple hours in the morning. If you don't get called, you go home for the day and come back the next morning. This can go on several days but usually the jury *candidate* selection stuff happens in the morning. So each day there are a certain number of new trials, each one needs a bunch of potential jurors sent up... that's what you're waiting for in the a.m.

3. Once you get called up to a courtroom you'll be asked to sit in the first few rows of "spectator seating" with the other potentials. A brief overview of the case will be given by the judge and at random you'll be picked to go sit in the jury box (or not). If you get picked, the two legal teams ask you and the others questions. If it's a case that involves forensics they'll ask you if you watch CSI a lot, etc. As they go along a few people will get selected or dismissed back to the pool. Then they'll ask a few more people to step into the box for questions, until there's a jury of 12 and 2 alternates.

If you get picked you know what happens next pretty much. Watch out for douchebags who think answering their emails is more important than the case, and whiners looking to "speed up the process" so they can go home early. Don't be afraid to put those people in their place because their attitude is like a cancer. It will spread if unchecked. People really do get sucked in by group-think in jury rooms -- it's kind of sad / scary. Might just be a DUI case or whatever in which case pretty academic and you'll be out of there quick. Might be a murder trial, in which case everyone's undivided attention is not only warranted but a duty IMHO. Put the Scates smack down if you have to. Speak up to prevent the cancer from spreading, so whoever is involved in the trial, gets a fair shake at least.

Good luck!

...into the light of a dark black night.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-01-11, 12:36

In Philadelphia, it was an all day affair. They had us fill out a questionnaire in the am that went through the routine questions associated with normal jury trials. Just after lunch, which I believe I got a small voucher for (it couldn't buy a sandwich), I was brought in for voir dire on a trial of a man that raped his 6 yo grand daughter. Aside from clarifying my responses to some of the questions, I was asked if I knew anyone who had been raped. I, of course, do, so my dismissal from the jury was pretty much guaranteed. In fact, shortly after we were sent to the jury room for the lawyers to have a discussion, we were all dismissed. (The guy was eventually convicted and sentenced to effectively spend the rest of his living days in prison). The next case was a civil trial involving wrongful death of a cyclist (he was run over by a tow truck). I was a bike commuter at the time, so my dismissal was immediate and a given. It can be entertaining... but as 709 said, we need smarter jurors, stick with it... (but do call on the day of the service to check if you are actually needed).
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-01-11, 17:16

You will get super-mega bored during all the waiting.

IF they allow you to bring your phone/tablet (many allow laptops too) then be sure to bring your power cable and get there early enough to scope out a spot near a power outlet.

IF you're held over through lunch then you'll be given an hour (maybe more) to go eat and report back.

The entire process of waiting to be selected or released is like an elementary school field trip; just do what the teachers say and you'll do fine.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Windswept
On Pacific time

2014-01-11, 18:19

I waited in a large room with everyone else all morning as they called people out. Then went to lunch and came back; but, after a while, they had picked everyone they needed for that day and told everyone who remained to go home. I would have liked serving on a jury.

The second time I was called, years later, I really couldn't serve at that time, and explained 'why' in writing. I was excused; though again, I would loved to have served.

I do have trouble making decisions, though. Especially important ones. I draw up pro and con lists and think about the issue thoroughly. When I finally come to a decision, I hardly ever regret it, after giving it so much thought.

I would hate to be the person who caused a 'hung jury,' and think I'm better at decisions these days than I used to be. But I do tend to look at issues from so many angles that I might delay a jury, especially if someone was trying to make us rush to a decision.

My good friend was a deputy county prosecuting attorney, and she tried some hideous murder trials with the most gruesome evidence and the most horrendous accused killers. I'd hate to be on those juries, but the decisions wouldn't be hard to reach.

Another friend got picked for a grand jury, and that lasted for months! He was lucky that his employer had provisions for employees to serve on jury duty, or else the grand juries would be mostly retired people. Maybe they actually are. I haven't had a chance yet to ask my friend if he could tell me anything about the grand jury, but he might not be 'allowed' to talk about the cases they received and the decisions they made.

Good luck, Paul. I hope things turn out the way you want them to.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2014-01-11, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I was going to mention the whole "if you want to get out of it" thing, but really, there's enough knee-jerkers in the world that get on a jury and don't look at the evidence so much as they go with their pre-concieved notions about whatever. We'd be lucky to have an even-keeled guy like Paul on the jury if we ever went to trial - unless we were guilty as hell - then he'd throw the book at us.
Trust me, if I ended up in a jury trial I WOULD be guilty as hell.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-01-12, 00:10

Thanks for the all the info and insights. I appreciate it. I'm not as nervous as I was this time yesterday.

I'll just see how it goes. I mean, I gotta do it. It's part of the contract, right? I'll do my part, no problem. I'll just do what I'm asked, spoke when spoken to and give short, honest answers if asked anything. I will bring my phone (nothing on the paperwork - two pages, writing on front and back of each - says I can't). But I'll have it on mute, of course. And if/when it gets to any sort of question-asking point or actually doing something jury-related, I'll turn it completely off.

I'll bring one of my crossword collections as well. That'll pass the time, for sure.

I'm kinda looking forward to it, just to see what happens. Was looking to pack some new experiences into 2014, so this hit at a neat time.

The paperwork had a little section on attire, but all it says is basically "no exposed undergarments, no hats, no clothing with obscene or political statements, no shorts, no flip-flops", etc.). Doesn't say anything about "slacks" or a dress shirt, etc. so I'm planning on my usual jeans/button-down/brown shoes thing. I'll actually shave that morning, and try to be somewhat presentable and "regular guy".
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2014-01-12, 03:04

In bizarro world I have to turn up for jury service on the 20th. Thinking about wearing my "fuck you you fucking fuck" T-shirt.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-01-12, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
In bizarro world I have to turn up for jury service on the 20th. Thinking about wearing my "fuck you you fucking fuck" T-shirt.
I wish I could be in your jury pool to see the reactions of other people including court employees. However I would not be even slightly surprised, should you make it to the court-room, if the judge immediately dismisses you for the day and suggest that if you come back with a similar shirt tomorrow, you might be held in contempt (or whatever charge they can level at someone disrupting court proceedings in your state).

Windswept
On Pacific time

2014-01-12, 16:57

Paul, if you actually were selected for a jury, do you think your fellow jurors would elect you as jury foreman?

That same question goes for anyone else who'd like to answer. AN members, would you be a likely selection as jury foreman, and why or why not?

I think I *might* be selected jury 'foreperson,' because I'm not shy, I'm not reticent. I'm open, talkative, verbal, and I'm used to organizing group activities - not that a jury is a group activity, exactly, but it sort of is. I think I'd like to be jury foreperson.

However... if there were a few obstinate, opinionated, stubborn men (or women) on the jury, then I think the foreman *definitely* should be a man, because the obstinate, stubborn individuals would be more likely to respond to a man's suggestions than to a woman's. I might be wrong about that, but that's my feeling at the moment.

I hope other people address the issue of whether they might be elected jury foreman. It would be interesting to hear others' thoughts on this topic. I think Paul might be elected jury foreman, but I don't know if you're shy. Are you shy, Paul?

I think a foreman has to be sort of easy-going, and I think you are. Am I right about that? I think a foreman has to be fair, and has to find ways to get the other jurors to state their opinions clearly, and encourage them to clarify their comments when needed.

I think Dorian might be selected foreman and probably quite a few others from AN might be too. We are in general a highly verbal group, wouldn't you say?

Thoughts?

Last edited by Windswept : 2014-01-13 at 19:14.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-01-12, 19:48

I don't know. They might. My control freak/I-want-things-how-I-want-it nature would probably approve.

I am shy, in general. But if I'm in my element, among friends or in a situation where I know I have a grasp on everything, I think I make a good leader and I can be a lot more outgoing and "take charge". I try to be level-headed about stuff, and I tend to be more analytical/practical than emotional, so that might be a plus in such a situation.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-01-12 at 20:00.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-01-12, 23:11

I would likely be if I were summoned and got on a jury again. My only previous jury experience didn't result in that, but I was 18. I was still the one who led the deliberation discussion, however, as far as playing the evidence video over and pointing out what we could and could not see, and laying out the actual facts we could ascertain.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2014-01-13, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
You will get super-mega bored during all the waiting.

IF they allow you to bring your phone/tablet (many allow laptops too) then be sure to bring your power cable and get there early enough to scope out a spot near a power outlet.

Or bring a $5 power outlet strip with you and be everyone's hero.

To this day I've never gotten a notice about jury duty, even though I've been registered to vote since I was 18. Everyone else at work seems to get a jury duty notice once a year. I'm starting to think they might not be quite that common...

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-01-13, 11:42

Carol there's really no way to know that (regardless of who is answering) because every jury is made up of a random selection of people. Depends on who you get / who you are. If you are an artist type and the jury is filled with corporate suits, you're not getting selected. If you're in a more rural area, the suit guy is not getting selected. If you're in the city and there are several young people (late 20s) on the jury, probably the "old and wise" middle aged persons will not be picked. Unless the young people are of the responsibility shirking variety in which case they're likely to make the old guy / woman take the most responsibility.

In my experience the foreman choice will usually reflect the majority demographic on the jury, as there's really not time to know people well, so the selection gets based on superficial criteria (namely the demographic that subconsciously makes the rest of the group feel at ease). In the end the foreman isn't that critical a position in most cases. Might be a bigger deal if you get sequestered or something like that where there needs to be a strong voice in the room everyone will listen to.

Paul if you get sequestered I expect you to breach your protocol and hop online from your hotel room to let us know you're sequestered. Even if you don't give us the nitty gritty details (which you shouldn't) that would be pretty funny / would make for a good thread.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-01-13, 12:40

In my experience the Foreman was usually itching to be picked.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-01-13, 23:49

I'll keep folks posted on what happened. I won't ruin anything by spilling details (I'm sure that's not allowed, and I don't want to mess any procedural stuff up). But, yeah...if I get sequestered, you're gonna know.
¡Damned!

2014-01-13, 23:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
In my experience the Foreman was usually itching to be picked.
Anyone who wants to be the Foreman should not be the Foreman. Kind've like forum mods.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-01-14, 00:12

Yeah. That's kinda like anyone wanting to be president...that should automatically disqualify your ass from the gig right then and there!
¡Damned!

2014-01-14, 00:35

Nobody wants to be president, it's a thing you have to do once you're a Clinton or a Bush.

We're just going to switch back and forth for the next 24 years, right? I think that's the plan.

Hillary > Jeb > Chelsea. Viva la 2040!

So it goes.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-01-14, 13:55

Yah I agree about the foreman... Don't pick this person (she's 32 now).

Also don't pick the person who immediately tries to start speaking for the whole group and making decisions. Look for the quiet person who seems to have a brain on their shoulders, not bitching about the lunch money or missing emails. They're no Henry Fonda, but they'll do.

Paul you can now use your local trivia credentials to state your case for foreman. "I know more trivia than all youz put together. I pitched a perfect trivia game Monday... 146, neophytes!"

Windswept
On Pacific time

2014-01-18, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I would likely be if I were summoned and got on a jury again. My only previous jury experience didn't result in that, but I was 18. I was still the one who led the deliberation discussion, however, as far as playing the evidence video over and pointing out what we could and could not see, and laying out the actual facts we could ascertain.
Cool. That's great, especially for an 18-year-old. You very well *might* be elected foreman if you're ever called again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
In my experience the foreman choice will usually reflect the majority demographic on the jury, as there's really not time to know people well, so the selection gets based on superficial criteria (namely the demographic that subconsciously makes the rest of the group feel at ease).
So, what sorts of things occur in the jury procedure once they walk into the jury room and sit down at the table? That is, what sorts of things are done/discussed before they get around to voting for a foreman?

I suppose there must be a certain amount of 'talking' in order for the members to get an idea of likely candidates for a foreman, I would imagine. So, I was wondering, what sorts of things they have to talk about before they get to the point of voting? Just curious.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-01-18, 18:27

It was pretty informal in my case Carol. If I recall we actually listened to some testimony first in both cases, then when we were sent in to the room for the first time after that it was sort of "OK we need to choose a foreman". And a few people would pipe up that they were not interested, a couple did and just sort of hashed it out. People were pretty nice about it but it's a group-thinky sort of thing and once a few people suggest a specific person the rest just sort of go along with it.