AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iOS 10, What Do You Think?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iOS 10, What Do You Think?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2016-09-15, 12:25

I’ve been using iOS 10 for a few days now and I think I’m getting used to the changes. In the past I have tested iOS beta’s, but since my testing iPad 3 is no longer able to take updates I didn’t this time around. As a result I feel a little slow to see the changes this time, even after reading the list.

Overall I’m okay with what Apple has done, but here are some things that I’ve noticed, good and bad as seen from the perspective of a iPhone 6s user. I didn’t have any installation problems, but I did it through iTunes in the evening of release day.

Good:
- Stopping alarms with touch button rather the slide. This is way more reliable, and works on the first try every time.
- Control centre, overall nice change, even if the scrolling to work with music isn’t ideal
- Hiding useless Apple apps, aka Home kit, Watch, Videos, Mail, etc.

Neutral
- New unlock procedure. Not a bad change, took me a few times to get used to it, but since using touch ID slide to unlock hardly got used anymore. The bad, I can no longer unlock my phone if my fingers are wet or dirty. It takes forever before it finally brings up the keypad to enter the password now rather than after three attempts.
- New keyboard, haven’t noticed any big changes, but I don’t use multiple languages in conversations etc.
- Messages. Did they really have to make the send button smaller? People with big fingers must hate this change, for me it’s okay.

Bad
- Lift to wake. Nice feature when it works properly, especially when I just want to check the time. Problem is that it seems overly sensitive and randomly wakes the phone when I’m walking around. This cannot be good for battery life.
- Music App. When Apple made changes in iOS9 I asked myself, can they make this app any worse? The answer in iOS10, yes they absolutely can. In a future update I hope they let user change the text size, at least in iOS9 I could see the top 8 playlists, now only 4. Seeing the lyrics now requires pressing a button and scrolling way down, rather than just tapping the artwork. It's just the little stuff like this that bugs me.
- Health App. I’m not a fan of the new layout, I really want the dashboard of iOS9 back for quickly checking the stuff that I care about. Can I get rid of those stupid videos already?

So how about the rest of you? Anyone holding onto iOS9.3.5? Problems installing?

Last edited by PB PM : 2016-09-15 at 12:54.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2016-09-15, 13:51

The lift to wake is always lighting up my phone when I don't want it. Maybe it can be turned off? I haven't looked.

I tried the new default unlock but I ended up turning back on the ability to unlock by just laying your finger on the home button. The other way often felt like an extra step since I often use the sleep wake button to check the screen.

The microscopic message button is annoying but I guess I'll get used to it. The quick reply from the lock screen is nicer now though.
Is it 1981?

2016-09-15, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Neutral
- New unlock procedure. Not a bad change, took me a few times to get used to it, but since using touch ID slide to unlock hardly got used anymore. The bad, I can no longer unlock my phone if my fingers are wet or dirty. It takes forever before it finally brings up the keypad to enter the password now rather than after three attempts.
I couldn't get used to it; but there is a way to revert the Home button to its original behaviour.

Quote:
- Messages. Did they really have to make the send button smaller? People with big fingers must hate this change, for me it’s okay.
Agreed. On a related point, the text entry field (on 4-inch screens at least) has been reduced in width so much that I've occasionally pressed the microphone button when I've wanted to start typing. They're really pushing the Digital Touch feature, aren't they?

Quote:
Bad
- Music App. When Apple made changes in iOS9 I asked myself, can they make this app any worse? The answer in iOS10, yes they absolutely can. In a future update I hope they let user change the text size, at least in iOS9 I could see the top 8 playlists, now only 4. Seeing the lyrics now requires pressing a button and scrolling way down, rather than just tapping the artwork. It's just the little stuff like this that bugs me.
Yes. YES. FUCKING YES. It looks like it was outsourced to Fisher Price and designed for Mr Magoo + Hans Moleman. I'm sure they'll refine it, but I hope it's sooner rather than waiting for iOS 11. The iOS 8–9 app (and the OS in general) was gorgeous.

Quote:
Anyone holding onto iOS9.3.5?
I reverted back to iOS 9, but realised I didn't have an up-to-date iCloud backup before upgrading to 10, so I lost a handful of iMessages, Voice Memos etc. Irritating, but not as much as using iOS 10.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-09-15, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it 1981? View Post
Sadly reverting to the old unlock with touch ID does not solve the problem I have. Touch ID will simply not register if my fingers are wet or dirty, but in those situations I could simply swipe to bring up the keypad and skip the frustration of waiting for it to come up, which can no longer be done.

As to your other points, yes the Music app looks like it was designed by a elementary school child. Seriously, how on earth does this stuff pass quality control? Does Apple have any for user interfaces anymore?

I'm going to stick with iOS 10, simply because I know that in no time there will be some software/firmware hack that Apple will only provide updates to protect users against, via a iOS 10 update.
Is it 1981?

2016-09-15, 15:35

Quote:
I'm going to stick with iOS 10, simply because I know that in no time there will be some software/firmware hack that Apple will only provide updates to protect users against, via a iOS 10 update.
Aesthetics aside, there are lots of other smaller (subjective?) things that made me switch back.
  • Swipe gestures: I found it easy to dismiss the Now Playing screen with a subtle flick in 9, but in 10 I need to perform a more deliberate swipe. Same with notifications – easy to dismiss/ read more with a subtle flick, but now requires a longer, deliberate swipe.
  • Widgets, on the other hand, are the opposite – the number of times I ended up opening a widget/ app at the end of a scroll was hugely annoying.
  • This is probably just me, but if I can swipe back and forth between the Lock Screen and Widgets, it feels natural to me that I should be able to do the same with the Camera. Nope. Feels odd that swiping right to the Camera is a one way journey, even though this isn't a change in behaviour as such.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-09-15, 18:26

I honestly don't even remember what's new about iOS 10 since I've been on the betas for so long.

Raise to wake is one of my favorite features. I hated having to touch button to wake it up. Now, most of the time I can just lift the phone up and see what I need to see instead of pushing buttons.

I also like the new lock screen action. It took me a few weeks to get used to it instead of the swipe to unlock, but i do like it better now.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-09-16, 17:09

I like the raise to wake, now that I know what's going on (I didn't know about it and it freaked me out).

The new home button/Touch ID behavior is tripping me up at times.

They've still not unified their icons...they still all look like 4-5 teams of designers worked on them and they just picked random "winners" from each.

The new Messages seeems to have gotten complex/cluttered.

Still getting used to the new look of the on-screen/lock screen notifications (and Control Center), but it's okay.

Honestly, as long as it isn't iOS 7, I'll be fine.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-09-16, 21:05

Another positive that I've started to notice, better battery life. With 9.3.x versions my battery was loosing 15-20% a day even when I hardly used the phone. Now with 10.0.1 battery life seems to back to 9-10% a day loss with light use. Keep in mind I'm not one of those people whose phone is joined at my hip, plowing through data (I don't even have a data plan), always at my ear and sending text messages every 30 seconds. I just use the phone for contacts, calendars, light browsing on WIFI, as a clock/alarm clock, heath data, etc.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2016-09-30, 00:00

Just installed this today and wish I hadn't. Interface has gone full Windows idiocy and the jumbofication of emojis is the goddamn stupidest fucking thing ever. At least let one disable that moronic shit.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-09-30, 08:26

After a few days, love it. I tend to text with adults, so the stickers and things in Messages are kept to a minimum. (Except for my mom. She's not quite really an adult though...)

Battery life is better, Magnify is a really nice little tool that is done well, Photos is continuing to improve, storage is getting better, etc.

Finally got used to new unlock.

iTunes continues to be a train wreck.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-09-30, 09:43

Yup, the new Music App makes me wish someone would make a basic, well designed and usable, music player for iOS that would just draw from the current Music list. Most of the other ones out there seem to be based around downloading free music with ads and crapware. I just want a nice basic music player that doesn't suck.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-09-30, 10:11

I'm trying to figure it out right now BUT I do like the new "clunky" music app better than the last version because everything is BIG on it.

I'm worried that my next phone might need to be a Jitterbug.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2016-09-30, 11:56

I'm liking it a lot. Even the large emojis. Before I didn't know what half of them were because they were so small. The quick response to messages is a lot nicer too now and force touch is more useful as well. I don't have a problem with them warming up the OS a bit either.

I don't know what it is about music players but no matter what the OS they all seem to suck. Same for podcast apps too.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-09-30, 13:47

I just got my 7 Plus in the mail today and damn is it fast. I really like it. Had to enable to developer preview to see the Portrait mode, and that's awesome.

Apple Music could definitely use some work, but it's much better this year than last. For podcasts, I tend to stick with Overcast, as that's the one that fits in best with the iOS design, IMO

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-09-30, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
iTunes continues to be a train wreck.
Quote:
Yup, the new Music App makes me wish someone would make a basic, well designed and usable, music player for iOS that would just draw from the current Music list. Most of the other ones out there seem to be based around downloading free music with ads and crapware. I just want a nice basic music player that doesn't suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it 1981? View Post
Yes. YES. FUCKING YES. It looks like it was outsourced to Fisher Price and designed for Mr Magoo + Hans Moleman. I'm sure they'll refine it, but I hope it's sooner rather than waiting for iOS 11. The iOS 8–9 app (and the OS in general) was gorgeous.

You guys should get Ecoute.

I bought it before upgrading to iOS 10 so I could start getting used to it since reports indicated Music app was getting crapped on. Ecoute is absolutely well worth the one dollar (easily worth several more dollars!). It's almost exactly what Apple's Music app should be. Only criticism I have is the animation upon side swiping feels weird, but that's absolutely trivial overall.

I usually try really hard to stick with Apple's built-in apps, but this one is really good.

edit: Important to note that I actually own/have downloaded files for all my music and I do not use Apple's subscription service. Ecoute uses the iTunes library and files as synced from your computer, and I have no idea what it does for subscribed/cloud-only music.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-09-30, 22:21

I've heard about Ecoute, but never tried it, will have to take another look. I too do not use subscription music services, so it using the iTunes Library is a must.