User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread
Page 23 of 31 First Previous 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27  Next Last Thread Tools
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-11-17, 11:49

I clearly haven't been paying attention, since I only realized this week that it takes 27 hours to get to the International Space Station.

The distance is only 400+ km up. Which is less than the distance from Toronto to Montreal, a five hour drive.

I thought these rockets were supposed to be faster than cars?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-17, 11:55

It's all those space tollbooths, along with those old granny astronauts going 685mph under the speed limit, with their blinker on. And, just like here on Earth, they can barely see over the cockpit dash.

You get behind of them and your travel schedule is shot. There's your 27 hours.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-17, 13:13

Yeah, I watched the live broadcast yesterday (before they docked) and they kept tossing Baby Yoda around the cabin. Of course, I sent my daughter a text because nerds!

Good stuff.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-17, 13:42

drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-11-17, 15:53

The reason it took so long was of course that they missed their original launch window, so they had to do a bit more to get where they needed to be.

Plus all those tollbooths.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-08, 14:45

Apparently there will be a high altitude test launch of the StarShip today.. or tomorrow.. or Thursday. SPaceX is live streaming it. Or at least will be once it actually happens I guess.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-08, 15:02

Was supposed to be 8am this morning. But, they're not going to send that thing up until they know—for sure—that it might not crash.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-08, 15:57

how rude of them to delay this. Like not wanting it to blow up is a good reason.
Quagmire
meh

2020-12-08, 15:58

I’m sure they know it will crash. Just it won’t go boom just cause they didn’t tighten a bolt correctly and crashes due to an unknown reason. They are not giving it a high chance of success.

giggity
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-08, 17:03

They're not after "success" in the sense we are thinking of it. They are looking for "success" long-term, which means lots and lots of useful data, which will help # 5 or #9 land "successfully".

If this thing lands on it's first attempt, it will demonstrate that SpaceX is the most advanced rocket company on the planet, and their math dudes are very good at math! If it doesn't, well we all knew it wouldn't so …

I feel like there is absolutely no pressure on them to get it right.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-12-08 at 17:13.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-08, 17:06

Or they just lucked out.

Either way it is really cool that as a company they have embraced sharing many of the steps of the process with the public. I know there is a ton that they hold tight to their chest, but I feel like we are getting way more from them than we ever got from NASA.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Quagmire
meh

2020-12-08, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
They're not after "success" in the sense we are thinking of it. They are looking for "success" long-term, which means lots and lots of useful data, which will help # 5 or #9 land "successfully".

If this thing lands on it's first attempt, it will demonstrate that SpaceX is the most advanced rocket company on the planet, and their math dudes are very good at math! If it doesn't, well we all knew it wouldn't so …

I feel like there is absolutely no pressure on them to get it right.
Definitely. Success here will just be getting the vehicle to 12.5 km. Even if it goes boom after, still a success as the data will show where their calculations were off. Whether the flaps need redesigning, the timing of the start of the maneuver, whether the Raptors are able to relight reliably, etc.

Actually boom going up may still have good data depending on failure mode. This is still the first flight of the Raptor's clustered.

giggity
¡Damned!

2020-12-09, 15:17

Looks like they're shooting for ~3:00CST. SpaceX YouTube is counting down.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-09, 15:18

You have a link? Seems like the link I posted above is now marked "private".
¡Damned!

2020-12-09, 15:54

SpaceX link : NASASpaceflight link
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-09, 15:58

Thank you!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-09, 16:26

Glad they finally updated the launch to 4:40PM CST. I'm not sure I'll be able to watch it then, but hopefully I will.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-09, 17:49

Man. I came in at T +1:30.

So close to making the launch. I did see them kill and engine though... or it dies...stuff burning on the inside of the rocket. It looked really cool though like it shouldn't do that.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-09, 17:51

Thanks not flying. That's falling with style.

Edit: I'm in awe. That was awesome in almost every way. Even the way the stuck the landing.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-09, 17:54

So close!

Damn, very impressive. I quite enjoyed that.

Congratulations, SpaceX, on almost sticking it!
¡Damned!

2020-12-09, 18:21

That should buff right out.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-09, 18:38

Oh, yeah. Oxi-Clean will take care of it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-09, 22:06

I love Musk’s response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elon Musk
SN8 did great! Even reaching apogee would’ve been great, so controlling all way to putting the crater in the right spot was epic!!
That’s really does sum up my thoughts and earlier response. It was amazing to see that go so well. I actually expected the crash, but not hit the right spot.

Quagmire
meh

2020-12-09, 22:31

That was the best result that could have happened. I was expecting Raptor to fail, vehicle losing control on the way down, etc. But the result we got was the best we could have hoped for outside of SN8 standing tall on the landing pad. It may still take a few SN prototypes to get everything down. Raptors may fail on the ascent, a valve may fail, Raptor may fail to relight, but those are just basically component reliability aspects. This test flight proved their simulations and computer models were fairly damn accurate. And all it took to get that data is one single flight. Solve the header tank pressurization problem, SN9 may vary well survive its flight if everything else mirrors SN8's flight. This is the mind boggling part.

giggity
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-09, 23:55

I've been busy, so I had to catch it in replay. I need to find the link explaining the goals for the SN8 flight, specifically the period in which it held the rocket in a horizontal orientation.

Edit: I'm back.

So they actually put the ship into a glide?? Now that is super groovy.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-10, 09:11

It really reminded me of the Shuttle coming in....accept it has landing gear. I was wondering about the flip maneuver and how that translated to a landing. It really was something to watch.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-10, 12:49

Future astronauts were watching, like …

SIGN ME UP!!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-15, 11:37

Astroid samples from Japan's space probe Hayabusa2. Really kinda cool that we (Earthlings) can hit a flying chunk of rock in space AND bring back part of it. I didn't find other sources yet, but here is Engadget's Article about it.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-22, 02:12

Drove around Monday night at dusk trying to spot the alignment of Jupiter and Saturn, with no luck. It was so close to the treeline and the region we're in is so wooded, that we kept mistaking another light up higher for the alignment. I have Sky Guide on my phone, so I knew roughly where to look at any given moment.

From the number of photos I've seen on social media a LARGE number of people believe that they saw it, when in reality the bright light way up high they were looking at was more likely another planet, maybe Mars(??), according to Sky Guide.

Anyway.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-22, 13:17

We were able to see it earlier in the evening at my house. This was before it moved under the tree line. Mrs T took a few iPhone pics of it so I'll see if I can grab them to share. It was really cool to see I will say. Really bright.