User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

'Trouble' you got into during your school years, and other school memories.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
'Trouble' you got into during your school years, and other school memories.
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-23, 11:32

Well, this seems like a pretty dumb idea for a thread... so I thought I'd go with it.

Now is the time to tell us about what you did to get in trouble during any of your years in school, at whatever level, even in college/university.

When I was in 2nd grade, age 7, I got in trouble for beating up two boys on the playground.

(I can't remember what offense they committed, but it must have been pretty bad, because I wasn't a combative kid at *all*! And they were my same age, so I wasn't picking on younger kids or anything.)

I was sent to the principal's classroom to present myself for whatever verdict and punishment she might choose to apply. I was a pretty small little girl, and the class was filled with the most gargantuan 8th grade boys, sitting in their desks, smirking with amusement at my plight and discomfiture.

I have no idea what the punishment was. I just remember what a ghastly ordeal it was to be standing next to the principal's desk - which was up on a platform, making me feel even more small and pathetic - and looking at her stern, disapproving nun's face.

Then in 3rd grade, I drew some pictures of naked people, showed them to the girl next to me, and then like a fool, I threw them in the trash. Well, being a sniveling little rat-faced bitch, she went and retrieved my drawings from the trash and showed them to the teacher. I think all I got out of that was an appalled look from the teacher, but she may have called my mom.

When I was 15, the school sent home a letter to my parents saying if I didn't quit talking so much in class, I would lose my scholarship. I was going to a very expensive prep school, and there was no way I could afford to lose my scholarship. Damn nuns. They never miss a trick.

Then when I was 17, my boyfriend and I ditched school to go skiing. There was brand new powder snow on the slopes, and middle of the week = no crowds. We'd have the runs to ourselves. Well, my mom called the school and said I was sick; but his mom either forgot or didn't bother, because we got in major trouble and had to present ourselves at the convent and apologize for lying. Oh please!

You can see that I went to parochial schools for most of my life, so if I seem a little strange, now you'll know why.

Anyway, hope you guys have a few stories to share. Mine are boring, I know. But I was a fairly rule-abiding kid. Fortunately, later I cast off rather completely most of the unnecessary strictures and vestiges of my parochial education. Heh.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-07-23, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Well, being a sniveling little rat-faced bitch, she went and retrieved my drawings from the trash and showed them to the teacher.
Good to see you're not bearing any grudges there Carol.

Well written anecdotes, btw.

I don't have anything to share at this point (I'm actually taking a break from a Lit Review) but I'm sure there'll be some righteous stories by the time I visit this thread again.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-07-23, 12:17

... I guess I can't really answer this question, as I've never been caught. Thus, 'trouble' never became of my actions.

I did have a close call once, but I was able to talk my way out of it (something I've always had a knack for) and in that case I was only guilty by association but not of the crime.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-23, 12:18

I was a total angel. No trouble, ever.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-07-23, 12:31

I remember pissing off my 4th grade teacher enough that when she slammed the door to the coatroom to yell at me, the door's window broke. I don't remember what it was about, though.. lol
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-23, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickers
... I guess I can't really answer this question, as I've never been caught. Thus, 'trouble' never became of my actions.

I did have a close call once, but I was able to talk my way out of it (something I've always had a knack for) and in that case I was only guilty by association but not of the crime.
Well, it's that sweet innocent face of yours that keeps you out of trouble.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-23, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
I remember pissing off my 4th grade teacher enough that when she slammed the door to the coatroom to yell at me, the door's window broke. I don't remember what it was about, though.. lol

Heh. That's funny.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-23, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I was a total angel. No trouble, ever.
Aw shucks, Paul. Once a sweetie-pie, always a sweetie-pie.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-07-23, 12:40

I'm in school right now so it may be wise not to reminisce on events still tenderly in the past.

Although in 6th grade I was a target of hatred because I ran the fastest around the track. Every day our class took a lap around this dirt track, and it was always a race. I won every single day for about 12 weeks, until a bunch a kids decided to gang up and hold me back so I couldn't win. I through a couple of good punches, and kicked this kid pretty hard (I didn't like him anyway ). I lost the race, and I was pretty pissed about it for a while. I did get in some trouble, but not as much as the kids who tried to grab me.

I think "tough" guys hate running guys because they get all the girls.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-07-23, 12:42

In my small rural primary school there was a long-standing tradition of the P7s (eleven-year-olds kids in their final year of primary school) terrorising the teachers on their last day of primary school. The teachers for the most part took this tradition good-naturedly, although we didn't really know that at the time. For weeks before the end of term the bravest P7s orchestrated an elaborate operation to stockpile (and hide on campus) huge amounts of tomato ketchup, raw eggs, flour bombs, bottles filled with water and coal dust, etc. The younger kids were enlisted to supply most of this weaponry, but they were not allowed to participate in its use, although some of the bolder ones feigned disapproval at this arrangement (in reality they were desperately glad they weren't expected to throw stuff at teachers!).

I was determined to surpass the efforts of the previous year's P7s (whom I had looked up to in awe in P6! ), so I had concocted a scheme to lock the teachers (all five of them) in the "staff room" on my last day. The geometry of the staff room door and surroundings was such that it was possible to loop a rope around the door handle and tie it to another door handle diagonally across the corridor. To this end I had perfected a knot which employed a loop in the rope as a pulley, resulting in a force-multiplication effect that allowed even an eleven-year-old to apply incredible tension to the rope.

So after the annual chaos of ketchup-armed P7 kids running around the school after teachers, the teachers retired to the staff room to regroup (or perhaps change clothes and laugh). The trap was sprung, and it was the work of a nervous moment for me to silently tie their door shut and nearly break the handle with the tension! I then scrambled for dear life and rode my bike home from school as fast as I could, never to return.

That night I could hardly sleep with worry that the teachers would find out who had "done it". I even wondered if the teachers were still locked in that room, hungry and thirsty and vowing revenge! (I knew this fear was silly, but I was suddenly not such a big boy after all). In the end, nothing came of the matter, so either they telephoned a rescuer, escaped through the window into the playground, or died a slow and agonising death. The important thing was that my strict parents didn't find out!

I still have moments of anxiety that the police will knock on my door some day and charge me with the manslaughter of five rural primary school teachers in 1993!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-07-23, 12:46

When I was at school, we had an opt in activity of making a kit car over our entire sixth form (16-18) and there were 5 of us making one. Well once we had built it, we knew how light it was, and easy to put into about 20 distinct parts (ie: Dont dismantle the engine), so we took it apart, got it to the third floor at the head-masters office waiting room one weekend (BIIG waiting room) and reconstructed the car.

Suffice to say, we were dumasses cos we were the only 5 doing the kit car thing, but it was great whilst it lasted over the weekend. If only we had seen his face!

I also got in trouble for pushing a kid into nettles when I was 6. That was a bad week.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-07-23, 12:49

1 day in-school suspension for impersonating my computer graphics teacher. He came in, as I was standing at his podium, doing a damn good impression. He said, "it was funny, but it was me...so, we're gonna have a little talk with the asst. principal."

I got the in-school suspension on my birthday too, of all days.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-07-23, 12:52

Nothing out of the ordinary, really. I would share some college stories but "trouble" presumes that I got caught.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-07-23, 12:57

mmmm...this would be a long post...but maybe later

g

i think i would have to go by grade....in kindergarten this happened, in 1st grade this....and so on and so one...it wasn't till 8th grade that i perfected my system of being very good for the first 3 weeks of school and then doing just about anything i wanted because the teachers thought i was a "good" kid...i could basically set the school on fire and then just shyly go, "gee, i'm so sorry" and the teachers would go, "aw, thats ok, your a good kid...must have been an accident"

from 8th grade through 12th i got away with murder...before that i spent a lot of time in the hall, in the coat closet, in the principals office, standing behind my desk because the teacher took away my chair, standing behind nothing because the teacher took away my desk...etc etc

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough

Last edited by thegelding : 2006-07-23 at 13:06.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-07-23, 13:03

Other than beating up my classmates, pushing a teacher, kicking my best friends ass, various other infractions, I had a normal elementary school experience...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-07-23, 13:06

Y'know, I was going to say "I can't think of any..." but then the memories started coming back... In grade school I was pretty much the class punching bag, so I never got into trouble then.

Middle school though... let's see. Got a stern talking to for breaking into the school grades database (while the computer teacher watched - he said I couldn't do it - took me five minutes), was told that I was *not* to sabotage the science teacher's experiments any more so as to cause him a nasty electric shock, and that setting up the computer lab to display a rolling "Turk 182" across all the screens such that they had to be rebooted to be used was not allowed (that was a trick - they weren't networked, but I got them all synced so as a character scrolled off the right edge of one screen, it scrolled onto the left edge of the one next to it).

High school was fun: got in trouble for starting an underground newspaper that was a bit *ahem* critical of the school administration (they said they knew it was me because no one else knew how to run the computers well enough to do the layout and hide the batch print jobs - oops), running down the length of the 30' cafeteria table during lunch and taking a bow at the end (not a single lunch died that day, but I did get a standing ovation from the senior class - as a sophomore, that was a badge of honor), sabotaging one chemistry teacher's experiment so that it kinda went FOOMP on him (he got me back instead of sending me to the principal though - I liked him), and I was told that I was never to contradict (ie, correct) another chemistry teacher in class... while I was asleep. He didn't like that for some reason. Something about undermining authority or some such garbage.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-23, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
I then scrambled for dear life and rode my bike home from school as fast as I could, never to return.

That night I could hardly sleep with worry that the teachers would find out who had "done it". I even wondered if the teachers were still locked in that room, hungry and thirsty and vowing revenge! (I knew this fear was silly, but I was suddenly not such a big boy after all). In the end, nothing came of the matter, so either they telephoned a rescuer, escaped through the window into the playground, or died a slow and agonising death. The important thing was that my strict parents didn't find out!

Quote:
I still have moments of anxiety that the police will knock on my door some day and charge me with the manslaughter of five rural primary school teachers in 1993!
What a great story, Dorian.

Thanks for sharing it.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-23, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend

I think "tough" guys hate running guys because they get all the girls.
Yeah, I can see how that might be true.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-23, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
1 day in-school suspension for impersonating my computer graphics teacher. He came in, as I was standing at his podium, doing a damn good impression.

I wish I could have seen that.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-23, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding

from 8th grade through 12th i got away with murder...before that i spent a lot of time in the hall, in the coat closet, in the principals office, standing behind my desk because the teacher took away my chair, standing behind nothing because the teacher took away my desk...etc etc

It's fun finding out this stuff.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-23, 13:28

The only major trouble I almost got in was when my principal threatened to put me on a week long suspension for wearing shorts to school in December.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-23, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
was told that I was *not* to sabotage the science teacher's experiments any more so as to cause him a nasty electric shock,

Haha. That's just classic, it really is.

Quote:
and that setting up the computer lab to display a rolling "Turk 182" across all the screens such that they had to be rebooted to be used was not allowed (that was a trick - they weren't networked, but I got them all synced so as a character scrolled off the right edge of one screen, it scrolled onto the left edge of the one next to it).
Honestly, I bet you became a legend at your school.

Quote:
High school was fun: got in trouble for starting an underground newspaper that was a bit *ahem* critical of the school administration (they said they knew it was me because no one else knew how to run the computers well enough to do the layout and hide the batch print jobs - oops),
And did you inform them that a conviction can't be made based on mere circumstantial evidence?

Quote:
running down the length of the 30' cafeteria table during lunch and taking a bow at the end (not a single lunch died that day, but I did get a standing ovation from the senior class - as a sophomore, that was a badge of honor),
And you say you're shy. HA!

Quote:
sabotaging one chemistry teacher's experiment so that it kinda went FOOMP on him (he got me back instead of sending me to the principal though - I liked him), and I was told that I was never to contradict (ie, correct) another chemistry teacher in class... while I was asleep. He didn't like that for some reason. Something about undermining authority or some such garbage.
Yeah, you were probably a legend at 'that' school too. I bet they still talk about you in the teachers' lounge. Heh.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2006-07-23, 14:07

When I was in 5th grade, this boy was really annoying me. He was a bit of a jerk and we were standing in line to get art supplies and finally he said one mean thing to many and I punched him in the face.

The best part was that I was such a good student/teacher's pet that when he told on me, the teacher laughed at him and when he persisted, she yelled at him for being a liar!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-23, 14:11

Btw, I changed the title of this thread, because I thought it might be interesting to hear of any 'other' school memories members might have, that didn't have to do with getting in trouble.

After reading your posts and getting to know most of you as 'adults', I find it *really* enjoyable to hear about your exploits/experiences/thoughts as a child. After all, we were all children - innocent, vulnerable, and even mischievous - and sharing those types of stories kind of brings our community a little closer together, I think.

One thing I thought I'd share about my schooling is that when I was ages 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 my family lived in north central Mexico. I went to an American school, but the afternoon classes were taught in Spanish.

We studied Mexican history, and the textbook illustrations gruesomely pictured the Aztecs performing human sacrifices - cutting out human hearts and holding the bloody hearts up to the gods. Amazing stuff to fill the horrified imaginations of grade school kids.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-07-23, 14:47

I managed to get in trouble for injuring the school bully. Basically, he'd decided it was my turn for a beating, and he was way larger than I was, so I reasoned that I had one shot, and one shot only. As he lumbered close, I took a very fast foot straight up and made perfect contact with one testicle. He went down hard, and ended up having to go to the nurse.

I got in a lot of trouble for that one, but the fame was well worth it.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-07-23, 15:05

Bryson, I sure hope you aren't a male.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-07-23, 15:11

Why? 'twas my only hope to avoid a severe beating. He was a big bugger...

I am, btw.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-07-23, 15:14

One memory that sticks out is being pushed into a rather large puddle of water and being soaked through by the school bully. Several years later, he applied for a job at my work and he got accepted. Naturally, I was his superior which I enjoyed to no end. He also seemed to have rather stunted growth and I was several inches taller than him, which was rather different that when we were at school, especially since he was in the year above me.
He wasn't working with us for long, since it was 'revealed' to us that he was on the sex offenders' register and had lied about it in his application. Apparently he had exposed himself to young boys and had been convicted of it. I guess it's strange how things turn out.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-07-23, 16:59

Oh I love those. In grade school, the class 'leader' was this snotty prick who made my life a living hell for five years. I can't tell you how many indian burns, bruised arms, and kicked shins I suffered at his hands or suggestion.

When I was 19, I was standing in line in a bank, and I heard his voice say "Smith? Is that you? How are you doing, man?" like we'd been best buds or some crap. My skin crawled, and suddenly I felt like I was 6 again, and about to get the snot kicked out of me. I slowly turned around, and... was looking *down* at him. He'd topped out at about 5'7" (me, 6'3"), if that, had horrible acne, and was wearing a mechanics jumpsuit that was covered with grease, obviously doing a bank run on his break.

I heard the words "Obviously, better than you..." come out of my mouth, and I just walked off.

I still can't believe I said that, but dear fucking god it felt good to watch his face just collapse as his ego got crushed. Fucker.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2006-07-23, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
I heard the words "Obviously, better than you..." come out of my mouth, and I just walked off.

I still can't believe I said that, but dear fucking god it felt good to watch his face just collapse as his ego got crushed. Fucker.
Awesome. I probably would've said the same thing.