Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-04-12, 22:04

I hear tell that the official teaser trailer will be released at Star Wars Celebration, possibly as early as tomorrow. Anyone else excited about this?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2017-04-13, 20:06

Spoiler, Luke dies. Yes I am looking forward to it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-04-14, 12:02

And BOOM!

Must over-analyze for hours and hours!

Boy, I don't know what to think. So little information.

- Rey is clearly being trained by Luke
- Luke has a bad attitude about something (the Jedi need to end)
- Space battle
- Land battle
- Princess Leia
- R2D2 in flames and spit with what looks to be Luke

There was a scene in the Episode 7 trailer where Luke's hand reached down to touch R2, but that scene never materialized in the movie. It appears that it may have been footage possibly set aside for Episode 8, as a shadowy Luke-figure is seen with R2 in the same fire-and-brimstone setting in this trailer.

Quote:
Rey seems to have had a ruff night at the bar.

Quote:
I'm going to build my house up there.

Quote:
Rey is taking Jedi lessons from Charlie Brown,

Quote:
R.I.P., Carrie Fisher.

Quote:
Darth Rubble

Quote:
Luke owns 9 books

Quote:
Jedi mind trick

Quote:
Everybody is kungfu fighting

Quote:
Walkers look like teeny, tiny ants from way over here

Quote:
Contrast: The state of being strikingly different than something else

Quote:
Huckleberry Fin. Also, see "Contrast"

Quote:
I forget. What's that thing called, again?

Quote:
I didn't know Anakin was in this one.

Quote:
The missing scene from Episode VII

Quote:
Fire. We've got a bad fire!

Quote:
The new XYZ Wings

Quote:
We finally found Star Trek Enterprise's single bathroom.

Where the hell is Scates? You hear me, Paul? Your valuable insight, prognosticating, and predict-all-things Star Wars machinations shall be immediately forthcoming. I command you!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2017-04-14 at 12:59.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2017-04-14, 12:40

I"m looking forward to all of the podcasts coming out that spend 2 1/2 hours dissecting this.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-04-14, 17:44

And then there's this thing:

which also invites a number of questions. Very dark, both Luke and Kylo. This story seems very much involved with the past between these two characters. The only "light" seems to be emanating from Rey. So, is Luke the last Jedi? For ever? If so, where is this franchise going, and who—or what—is Rey?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-04-18, 17:32

I watched Episode 7 last night and find it interesting that the movie refers to "the last Jedi" twice. During the opening crawl, Luke Skywalker is referred to as the last Jedi, and during one of Snoke's speeches, he says he cannot permit the resistance to locate the last Jedi.

Just FYI.

Quote:
Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke’s whereabouts…
I think Episode 8 is very much focused on the Luke Skywalker character. After all, according to Episode 7, he is "The Last Jedi".

This also gave me the idea that the title for Episode 9 will be revealed within the opening crawl for Episode 9.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2017-04-18, 21:22

I've been wanting to do a major post on this but I've been so tired from surgery. So here's my quick thoughts:

On the title: The Old Jedi Order was brought down because of a mix of their own calcified hubris and an angry male Skywalker. I wonder if Luke's recreation of that order to teach his students was brought down by his own attempt to recreate that hubris (+ one angry male Skywalker-Solo). So the idea of the Jedi falling is to say that there can be no more Jedi, that the Jedi were an old way of looking at the Force, and that that has been pretty clearly shattered. There can be more Force users going forward, there can be more light-aligned Force users - but the way of the Jedi is old and done, their spine shattered, and what grows up anew must be truly new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
This also gave me the idea that the title for Episode 9 will be revealed within the opening crawl for Episode 9.
I love this idea!

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-02, 12:56

Apologies for Frankensteining a thread - I know it's frowned upon - but a) I just saw the below story online, and b) it is relevant/on topic here (and didn't warrant a new thread)...

Well, he surely would've screwed this up too.

Assuming it was to be Hayden Christensen, how odd would it have been to see saddlebag-faced Hamill/Luke talking to his father who appeared so much younger? It starts to veer into Mary Kay Letourneau territory, where the new "dad" somehow manages to appear younger than your actual kids. It was a bad call for the ending of ROTJ, Lucas replacing Sebastian Shaw with "my uncle touched me there" Christensen, and it would've been an even worse choice here. Sadly, we got pyromaniac Yoda acting all deranged and "ready for the home" instead. And that wasn't a good call either...

But that's what happens when you give student filmmakers a Disney-level budget to make a "real" movie. You can be weird, edgy and "subversive" all you want with a $35,000 self-financed, shot-on-an-iPhone art film nobody's ever going to see, but not when you're using someone else's $250M+ (and an established history/tone to follow), Ryan-with-an-"i".

Re: the Lucas thing above, I sometimes wonder if anyone at Lucasfilm/ILM ever resigned/quit their gig over some of these changes the past 20+ years? I think it would be funny to hear such a story about some digital artist or sound engineer who, upon hearing some nutball change Lucas wanted to make to yet-another "special edition" release of the OT, just said "no, I ain't doing that stupid bullshit...that's a ridiculous, lame idea and everyone in this room knows it. Fans will, rightly so, hate/mock it, and I won't have my name attached to it. I'm outta here, find someone else...".

Surely there was at least one more-integrity-than-sense artist/staffer who flew the coop over some of those Lucas-mandated "improvements"? There must be! There has to be a legend among the corridors of Skywalker Ranch, that of the compositing intern who stood up from his chair, told George Lucas to get bent/stop lousing up his own movies, grabbed his coffee and stormed out.

"No job is worth this...I signed on here to create new iconic, legendary films, not mangle existing ones!"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-02 at 13:22.