User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

At last, the true reason the iPhone has no copy & paste

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
At last, the true reason the iPhone has no copy & paste
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-10-08, 11:11

Marketing departments would be too dumb to know when not to use it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-10-08, 11:24

Awesome. It's like the ads you see for Dell or HP kit that have MacOS X screens.

My personal favorites were the ones that used to run for online banking for various banks. Obviously a Mac, obviously Safari (at that time Mac only) showing their website... but when you got there "This site requires IE and Windows."
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-10-08, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Awesome. It's like the ads you see for Dell or HP kit that have MacOS X screens.
…plus the advertising for the competitor (they forgot to edit out the AT&T/cingular logos ).

Quote:
My personal favorites were the ones that used to run for online banking for various banks. Obviously a Mac, obviously Safari (at that time Mac only) showing their website... but when you got there "This site requires IE and Windows."
Yep. Or when they fit a screenshot of a maximized window of some Windows app into a photo of a 12-inch iBook.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-10-08, 11:32

I really don't understand how some of these people have jobs.

Even my parents are starting to notice when a Windows screenshot is superimposed over an Apple notebook.

It's pretty sad.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-10-08, 11:59

You know what the strangest thing is? Every place I've ever worked for, doing design/marketing work, this stuff goes through about 38 levels (okay, 2-4) of proofing, analysis, approval, etc. Sometimes the simplest projects, once the upper-level types got their paws and "input" rolled in, would take forever.

It just blows my mind that an outfit like this doesn't do the same (or more) and that no one caught that on one of the many go-arounds.

That should be the first thing that jumps out at someone, shouldn't it?

"Um, hey...that's not really our screen and interface, is it?"

"Ha...why, no. It isn't!"

Even if done as an internal joke or something put together by a disgruntled employee for yuks around that particular group or section of the company, how did it ever make it past the art department and out into "the world"?

Hell, keep the art department! And, instead, fire all the account managers and editors and the people above the "lowly artists" who should be catching stuff like this.

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-10-08, 13:26

I just thought I was looking at an iPhone for a minute there . I haven't actually seen one in the flesh, so to speak, so I didn't see the problem right away. I was just trying to figure out why Blackberry would have iPhones in their ads...

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-10-08, 13:32

You know, I did the same thing?

"Are they upset because the size comparison they're going for isn't really making them look good, or is... OHHHHHH..."
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-10-08, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times, 4/08
THERE’S a reason that R.I.M. is averse to the iPhone’s glass pad. “I couldn’t type on it and I still can’t type on it, and a lot of my friends can’t type on it,” says Mike Lazaridis, R.I.M.’s co-chief executive and technological visionary. “It’s hard to type on a piece of glass.”

Mr. Lazaridis thinks that e-mail-dependent BlackBerry owners demand the reliability and tactile feedback of a keyboard. But, despite his critique of the iPhone, he does not dismiss the possibility that R.I.M. may itself one day sell a touch-screen phone, aimed specifically at consumers without the e-mail demands of BlackBerry’s core users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.G.
Translation: “We’ll emphasize the physical keyboard as a differentiating factor as long as it seems to work, at which point we’ll try a touch-screen keyboard too.”
Well that didn't take long at all, did it?

RIM is screwed. I wonder if they know it yet.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-10-08, 17:21

To be fair, this one is a consumer-focused device, and it was likely demanded by Verizon. ("Make us an iPhone killer! Our last three haven't succeeded for some reason!")

All the carriers have their exclusive next-gen BlackBerries*, except Sprint...who just got an exclusive last-gen BlackBerry. Yay!

*AT&T has the Bold; Verizon, the Storm; T-Mobile, the Pearl Flip; and Sprint, the...um...Curve. But with Push-to-Talk!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-10-08, 17:42

Ahahahaha. It's not enough that Macs probably are used to make most marketing materials, now they can't even bother to get Windows or other OS screenshots. That's ridiculous. The department heads need to pay more attention or start firings.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder