User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Intel Macs before January

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Intel Macs before January
zebrahead090

2005-11-10, 04:54

God that would be cool. Could be the reason they have decided not to officially update the mini. I could just see Apple pulling that kind of thing off and shocking all everyone. I don't want to take the more conservative approach and say that Apple will release hardware in January. I just see them doing something really unexpected. That is all...

staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-11-10, 05:10

Cool maybe, but I think I'd prefer them to come out with a really solid, bug-free release for all those poor early adopters who buy the first rev.

I'm gunning for June.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-10, 07:22

I seriously, seriously doubt it, zebrahead.

It's getting too close to January. In fact, I'm betting this recent flurry of activity and releases is IT for the year (minus any software updates and the like).

When Apple releases their first Intel stuff, they're going to want maximum press and exposure...the kind that would be at a MWSF type of event. And there's no guarantee that it'll even happen then. We're just assuming (and hoping) it will. Nothing was ever promised.

But certainly not before. Makes no sense.

MWSF at the earliest. March/April at the latest.

_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-11-10, 07:36

Given their track record it would not surprise me if the Intel Macs were announced before Xmas. In saying this I would then not be surprised if the shipping times were 2 months

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-11-10, 08:23

My guess -and it's only a guess- is WWDC 2006, not before. Hopefully, for the good of laptop lovers everywhere, it will be a PowerBook. Then again I'm not going to recommend my boss get one until it's clear they are very reliable / the transition will be smooth.

...into the light of a dark black night.

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-11-10, 08:37

Let's see... no.

JayReding

2005-11-10, 08:57

Not going to happen. Apple has a lot of work left to go on both the software and the hardware sides, and they need to get enough developer buy-in to make everything work.

I'm guessing we'll get the first Intel-based products at MWSF in January, but it could be as late as June. There's no point in releasing an Intel-based machine if there's not going to be any third-party software that will run on it yet. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Apple was really pushing on Adobe to get Creative Suite as a universal binary before they release any pro machines.

BenP

2005-11-10, 09:08

I like how "by this time next year" in June turned into early spring...and then January...and now this year.

I would be very surprised if Intel Macs were announced at some time other than WWDC or MWSF, and I think the former is more likely. Intel Macs in January would kick ass, but I just don't think it's going to happen.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-10, 09:31

If it doesn't happen (at least one machine) at MWSF, BUT is scheduled to happen sometime before WWDC, there will most likely be a special event type of deal.

This is too big/important to just wake up on a Tuesday and you see a new Intel Mac on Apple's homepage, with no real fanfare or noise. They're going to want an expo, keynote or some sort of dedicated event to allow Steve to explain some technical stuff, work his RDF to full effect, have a bake-off or two, give a rundown on what software is available, explain Rosetta and its purpose and so forth, debunk any myths, etc.

This is a MAJOR move for Apple, and they're going to play it up. Especially their first one, whatever it happens to be (PowerBook, iBook, Mac mini, etc.).

I'm not aware of any major Apple-attended show between MWSF and WWDC, except for maybe that NAB show (April?), but that's traditionally been a more video/software-oriented thing for Apple, and I don't think they tend to make that the site of a major keynote or presentation. Not for something as wide-appealing as an Intel Mac unveiling.

MWSF - 15%
Special hyped-up media event between February-May: 50%
WWDC: 35%

IMO...

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-11-10, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP
I like how "by this time next year" in June turned into early spring...and then January...and now this year.

There's no delusion like self-delusion, that's how.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2005-11-10, 10:02

The only question is where can they put out an Intel product that won't immediately suffer by comparison to PPC forebears or other current model products. Obviously the machine will still have to deal with a lot of PPC software, and that means slowness.

Replace a G5, and unless you're running a handful of native Apple 1st party wares, you're going to notice some slowness. But perhaps replacing a G4 mobile product will not be as dramatic?

The Intel CPU will have a more raw power than current G4 mac products, but because it will spend a few months running mostly PPC code, it won't be appreciably faster.

They could launch an Intel iBook that is still slower than PPC powerbooks on most tasks (for now), but it's cheaper and it gets the Intel product out there.

Anyone buying this book could even benefit from a nice performance boost when Intel coded versions of their fav apps hit the street.

Pros who need to do the job NOW, they buy Powerbooks, and get the best mobile performance out of current apps. Consumers buy a book with some new tech and a new design, and performance doesn't really change that much out of the gate, but that's OK...

dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2005-11-10, 10:06

January is when the Yonah introduction happens. It's the only chip due to ship prior to WWDC. Why people continue to think something isn't going to happen at MWSF is beyond me. My money is on the PowerBook being the first to go. Runner-up in my mind is some new "prosumer" machine that fits between the Mini and the PowerMac G5.

Shhhh, I can't see!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-10, 10:29

MWSF does make sense for a new PowerBook: 2001 saw the intro of the Titanium PowerBook G4. Two years later, in 2003, came the redesigned, aluminum 12" and 17" models.

That recent AppleInsider article seemed pretty certain that PowerBook was first to go Intel, in "early 2006, before the iBook" (which was mentioned with an April/May timeframe, for education buying season). That's February/March for a PowerBook, possibly...totally conceivable that it could be unveiled at MWSF.

Maybe 2006 is the next major step forward in the PowerBook? Apple could certainly announce it, show it off, reveal the specs/prices, take pre-orders online and even have a dozen or so of them on the show floor, for everyone to see and use. And then start shipping them a month or two later, as Yonah gets properly ramped up in real-world quantities.

Wouldn't be the first time they've taken an "announcing today, available later" approach. They do it quite a bit, actually. Wouldn't be the end of the world. I think people would be so pleased that something significant happened to the PowerBook, I'm sure waiting another month or two would be okay with most.

It's odd, what with the recent updates and all, but still...Apple's a bit all over the place lately, with very little rhyme or reason to their releases/updates.

But what if BOTH PowerBooks co-existed for a while? Is that a possibility? Sounds odd, but Apple's reasoning could be to provide PPC models for pros, and dangle a new Intel model for those who maybe don't rely on Adobe and other third-party stuff as much (maybe those using Apple's video solutions: FCP, Motion, etc.)?

Apple's stuff is probably close - if not already complete - made for Intel.

Maybe they release a 15" Intel PowerBook, and it sits between the 12" and 17" PPC for a while, even? Would be like before, when you had two PowerBooks of a particular style/design (aluminum) co-existing with the older 15" Titanium for nine months?

So many possibilities...I'm sure I'm wrong about every single one.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-11-10 at 10:39.

dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2005-11-10, 12:36

I'm also of the assumption that Apple would want Adobe and any other companies close to Apple (meaning those who know when the switch is happening) to have dual-binaries ready for the launch. The big question mark there being if Apple would have to convince someone like Adobe to release a dual-binary update for existing products rather than holding off 'til the next major point rev. Not sure where Adobe is with it's next iteration of Creative Suite and if that could coincide with a January launch or not.

Shhhh, I can't see!

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-11-10, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Wouldn't be the first time they've taken an "announcing today, available later" approach. They do it quite a bit, actually. Wouldn't be the end of the world. I think people would be so pleased that something significant happened to the PowerBook, I'm sure waiting another month or two would be okay with most.

Do you not remember all the people screaming in desperation when they were waiting months for their 17" PowerBooks after it was first introduced?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-10, 12:55

Yeah, but guess what? They all lived.

And this is a bit different...an entire processor/engine change. I know the 17" was physically different from the Titanium 15". But it was still a G4 processor, with many of the features/capabilities of the 15".

But we're probably on the cusp of something quite major, going from these 1.67GHz G4s that are hobbled in various ways, to...???

Exciting stuff, the possibilities that lie ahead!

If the thing is announced in January and it's genuinely mind-blowing and different from anything we've ever known, that might placate many. Simply knowing it's coming will make it worth the wait to many, I'm sure.

Some will squawk...they always do. Ignore 'em.

If I have a choice, personally I'd rather know what's what ASAP, then wait some, if necessary.

As opposed to not knowing anything and just having it hit one day, 3-4 months into 2006.

The first way, I can at least plan, make some money/purchase decisions, work on getting a buyer for my current one, have something to look forward to, etc.

¡Damned!

2005-11-10, 13:02

Gah. You know what I'd like to see? A friggin question mark in the thread title.

SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-11-10, 16:57

No-one's mentioned an important question yet—

Will Apple actually much promote the new Intel-insides of the MacIntels?

Apple's all about simplicity and 'just working'. Steve doesn't confuse the unwashed with talk of 970MP and what have you. He's all about G4, G5—fast and faster. I know they've dissed rival chips and chip-makers in the past, but is it really in Apple's interests to praise the superiorities of a new architecture when the majority of their products still run on the old one...? Sure, there'll be mention of "Intel", but scant more methinks...

bouncy bouncy

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-10, 17:41

http://forums.applenova.com/guidelines.shtml
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posting Guidelines
Speculation and Rumors:

The purpose of the Speculation and Rumors forum is to contain focused technical and aesthetic speculation about future hardware and software products from both Apple and third parties.

Threads consisting of unsubstantiated individual predictions about upcoming products are not allowed. Threads that are blatant trolls, offer no content, or are redundant will be locked.
Threads that start with "God that would be cool" generally fall into the "no content" or "redundant" category. I haven't seen anything here to disprove that.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.