AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

www.appledeals.us a scam?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
www.appledeals.us a scam?
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-01-21, 03:01

I saw a posting online for a too-good-to-be-true price on a computer. I followed the link and emailed the person behind it. A few days later I received a reply that led me to www.appledeals.us. All I have to say is:

iMac 20': 2GHz Intel
$1,399.00
20-inch widescreen LCD
with 1680x1050 resolution
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
2MB shared L2 cache
2GB (667 DDR2 SDRAM)
500GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive 8x double-layer
ATI Radeon X1600/256MB
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth 2.0

In case you don't want to follow the link, that is the price that they are charging. $1,399.

I can't find anything leading me to believe it's a scam...other than the price

Last edited by Artap99 : 2006-01-21 at 03:17.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

2006-01-21, 03:07

I mean...they're selling a 30" cinema display for $1499!

Sorry, I'm still baffled.

And I titled the thread wrong. It's www.appledeals.us

Last edited by Artap99 : 2006-01-21 at 03:20.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-01-21, 03:43

The contact info on the website gives an address in Mountain View, CA...but the domain contact info (whois lookup) says the domain is registered to a "Global Connect Network" located in the Ukraine. Smells fishy.

Addendum: the company is also not on the list of Apple-approved resellers. I strongly recommend shopping elsewhere - there are plenty of reputable resellers out there with decent bargains.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-01-21, 07:57

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
The Grim

2006-01-21, 09:56

SpecMode How do you get that address? I tried Whois look up but it did not find anything.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

2006-01-21, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode
The contact info on the website gives an address in Mountain View, CA...but the domain contact info (whois lookup) says the domain is registered to a "Global Connect Network" located in the Ukraine. Smells fishy.

Addendum: the company is also not on the list of Apple-approved resellers. I strongly recommend shopping elsewhere - there are plenty of reputable resellers out there with decent bargains.
So what you're saying is that I should recommend the site to the next person that asks for purchasing advice and see what happens.

awilso

Send a message via Yahoo to awilso  
2006-01-21, 11:22

I smell Russian federation Mafia . . . .wonder if Apple have had a consignment knocked off recently?
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-01-21, 11:24

The Grim: I used Whois.net.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-01-21, 11:45

They're selling those alienware machines for less than the price of half their components...
eddie07

2006-01-29, 21:05

Saw the adverstising in Miami, FL only on Craigslist electronics (other side of the country). Emailed inquiere was sent a link from a James Johnson (sounds way to american) to appledeals.us . Site looks great. Character on contact us page was a little fishy. Was almost tempted to place an order when i decided to do whois.org domain name search. Like other poster said i saw it said Ukraine. I also checked california department of corporations and noticed that business name APPle Deals, LLC was never registered. Called apple and they said they didnt have them in thier database for authorized resellers. Emailed james again and told him i was ready to place an order but i wanted a phone number so i can ask a few questions. I got a number and called and got a machine. The person called me back. Definitly a russian accent. I asked why business name was not registered in california, he said it was recently aquired which is contrary to what about us section of website says. then i asked why he was advertising in miamis craiglist and nowhere else, and he said he didnt know, that he didnt do advertising. Then i asked why so cheap, where he got his inventory from, he said some was donated and the rest he cant disclose. (he got nervous, to many questions) i asked if he can send me a reference, business license, to authenticate the validity of his business, he said yes but never said anythingh nor answerd my emails. I really wanted this to be true. Im looking to export ipods to south america and this could of been my big lead that i neeeded. Please post your feedback and if anyone has a contact for me to purchase ipods in a bundle at a discount emaiil me at eddie072@yahoo.com
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-29, 21:07

If you need to purchase a large bundle of iPods, just contact Apple directly. My understanding is that they sometimes cut special deals for large bulk orders if you contact someone yourself.

Don't fall for scams like AppleDeals. If it was legit, you wouldn't have had a tenth of the problems you had extracting information.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-29, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
Truly, Words To Live By™ I've learned...

So many sharks and shady characters out there, preying on the ignorance and gullibility of folks. As others have suggested, I'd do my business elsewhere.
perezoso

2006-01-30, 00:14

Folks... take a careful look at the English on that website. Reams of grammatical errors and peculiar phrases. Despite the knock-off stylish graphics, it should be obvious to any moron that there's something wrong.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-01-30, 12:54

Grammatical errors? Where?

Quote:
Welcome to internet sales division
of Apple Deals, LLC!

Among multiple storefront's we have all over the country,
you now have a great chance to get latest Apple products
online for a highly discounted rates!

I can't even read that without subconsciously adding in the foreign accent.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-01-30, 13:32

Same here
Patch

2006-01-30, 18:03

What is interesting is that their webpage says that the transaction is governed by the state of illinois...

Governing Law
THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE AND ANY SALE HEREUNDER WILL BE GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS, WITHOUT REGARD TO CONFLICTS OF LAWS RULES. ANY ARBITRATION, ENFORCEMENT OF AN ARBITRATION OR LITIGATION WILL BE BROUGHT IN COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS AND CUSTOMER CONSENTS TO THE JURISDICTION OF THE FEDERAL AND STATE COURTS LOCATED IN COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS AND SUBMITS TO THE JURISDICTION THEREOF AND WAIVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE VENUE. CUSTOMER FURTHER CONSENTS TO THE EXERCISE OF PERSONAL JURISDICTION BY ANY SUCH COURT WITH RESPECT TO ANY SUCH PROCEEDING.

and phone numbers:

The phone number "(408) 624-1232" is a Snjs South, CA based phone number and the registered carrier is Global Crossing Local Services, Inc.-ca.

he still is very responsive to e-mails
Dug-OH

2006-02-02, 00:29

Funny receptionist picture on the "about us" page...
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-02-02, 00:50

I love how professional their site looks with images like this:

On the 'About Us' page.