Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Help with ebay! Might be a scam.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help with ebay! Might be a scam.
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-05-30, 15:39

I was selling my PSP for $200 last night. I got home today and my PSP was bought for $200 (Buy it now price) I said I will only ship to USA, but the guy who won wants me to ship to nigeria. He also is no longer a registered member on ebay. He has zero feedbacks this looks very suspicious.

Here is his email...

Quote:
hello,
Compliment of the season to you. I am mary williams from OH
USA,but Presently in London,Spain for a church seminal. I saw your
product item below on ebay # 8289666056 and i am really intrested in
buying it for my Daugther as a surprise gift for her in
school(university of lagos)at nigeria and i will handle the shipment expenses.i will send you my fedex account so you will not pay no money for shipping.i will be sending you payment via PayPal,so kindly send me
your PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESS so as to immedaitely make out your
payment.make sure you get the package ready for shipment,you can ship the item as soon as you recieve the paypal confirmation.Expecting your reply so as toimmedaitely make out the payment.
Thanks,
What should I do guys?

Here it is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESO%3AIT&rd=1

Another thing that seems weird is I didn't get any emails from ebay telling me it was sold. But it is listed as sold in my ebay account.


kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2006-05-30, 15:41

Obvious scam.
I've seen this 4 or 5 times in the past year.
Report it to ebay and they will refund your selling fees and allow you to relist.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-05-30, 15:41

Send him a P-P-P-Powerbook.

Oh yeah, and "Presently in London,Spain" pretty much guarantees he's being shifty, in addition to geographically retarted.

Quote:
as a surprise gift for her in
school(university of lagos)at nigeria and i will handle the shipment expenses.
Nigeria is the internet scam capital of the world. Tread carefully.

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2006-05-30 at 15:47.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-05-30, 15:42

If it's from Nigeria it must be legitimate. Send them everything they ask for.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-05-30, 15:45

Nigeria you say?

Since you have their Fed-ex account number. I guess you could send them something... Not as pleasant and civil as a p-p-p-powerbook.

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-05-30, 15:50

Well, sent an email. This is really annoying. I have to wait 48 hours for a response. Then mess with all this crap.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-05-30, 15:51

Although this seems funny... if it was an eBay scam, wouldn't he ask that you use an overseas escrow service, rather than wanting to Paypal you the money?

I see no reason not to send the PSP if the cash is sitting in your Paypal account.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-05-30, 15:55

But the cash is not sitting in my paypal account. He wants my paypal email address.
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2006-05-30, 15:56

The reason not to send it is that they will say they didnt receive it. Paypal is very dodgy.

Personally I would have spring loaded a box with a piece of raw meat (or something similarly disturbing) and shipped it with value of $400.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2006-05-30, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Although this seems funny... if it was an eBay scam, wouldn't he ask that you use an overseas escrow service, rather than wanting to Paypal you the money?

I see no reason not to send the PSP if the cash is sitting in your Paypal account.
More then likely they are using a stolen credit card or using funds from a comprised bank account.

There are so many dead giveaways that this is a scam, one of which is the inactive ebay account.

How about sending them a package of shit. That might be fun.

Anytime I get something like this I always change my ebay/paypal passwords (and use big, hard to guess passwords). This should be done every few months anyway.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-30, 16:07

Write him back and let him know that you're the assistant of a wealthy prince, here in America, and that you've been instructed to give him $40-eleven gazillion dollars and for him to contact you at once.

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-05-30, 18:43

I told him he was a fraud. Never got an email back, loser.........
Mikester

2006-05-31, 06:01

This is a scam - I have seen it several times when selling things. Do not reply to him, but send the email to eBay. They will refund you the listing money or allow you to relist for free. They will also block his user account (although obviously he will just set up a new one).

On eBay you can stop people from particular areas bidding on your stuff without contacting you first for permission. You can therefore block Nigeria, or just everyone outside your country (USA?).

I stop everyone from outside the UK bidding on my stuff. If they want to buy, they can send you an email. If you think they are not dodgy, you can give them permission to bid. This stops annoying people clicking "buy it now" and ending your auction when they are fraudulent.

"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further" - The Great Gatsby
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-05-31, 07:45

New Rule (since Bill Maher is on vacation): Anything that arrives to you over the internet, originating in Nigeria, is a scam.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-05-31, 08:39

Anybody who says
Quote:
you will not pay no money
seems to be on the level to me.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-05-31, 08:41

The reson I was asking was because someone here on AN told me it was ok, and that I should give him my paypal email...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-05-31, 09:05

Mary Williams.. I know Mary.. I can personally vouch for them..
Send it..

Actualy I have always wanted to deal with a scam like this.. What I would do is find something which is totally illegal in the country I am sending it to.. Like say drugs here in Thailand.. And send a shit load, badly packed up, to the Fed Ex address, or other address suplied.. I would then report it to the authorities with the tracking number and so on..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2006-05-31, 13:16

I have also wanted a golden opportunity like this to pull a p-p-powerbook. Oh the fun I could have...
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-31, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
I have always wanted to deal with a scam like this.. What I would do is find something which is totally illegal in the country I am sending it to.. Like say drugs here in Thailand.. And send a shit load, badly packed up, to the Fed Ex address, or other address suplied.. I would then report it to the authorities with the tracking number and so on..
Meh. Small time. P-p-powerbook is done and tired now.

It'd be sooo much fun if the stuff inside was purported to be of national security interest, involving multiple countries who wants this information, and not just any information but information that they wants so *badly* that they will throw their money and resources and manpower to track down and catch this scammer, stick him into a dark room furnished with a wooden chair and bare incandescent bulb where they give him penetrating interrogation and a full body search, then drug and knock him up for weeks trying to pry secrets from him which he can know nothing about. (Ever thought about the absurdity of calling someone a liar who is truthfully denying that you don't know anything?) After a month or so, they will conclude that he was simply a wild goose and dump him somewhere deep in Congo jungle.

Gotta think big, man.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-05-31, 20:15

So, I re-listed. 10 minutes later... Another 0 feedback person purchases it. Nothing about Nigeria so far though.
judeobscure

2006-05-31, 20:33

Report the buyer to eBay you can get your listing fee returned.
You can also block, restrict and preapprove buyers.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-05-31, 20:38

I have some things blocked, USA only, Paypal Only, Can't be negative in feedback.

This is really becoming a pain in the ass.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-05-31, 21:07

E-bay seems to have gotten really polluted lately. I wish they could/would do more about it. Makes it close to unuseable.

Good luck with your auction.
JohnnyTheA

2006-05-31, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie

The reson I was asking was because someone here on AN told me it was ok, and that I should give him my paypal email...

You said in your listing that you would only ship to the US so you have no obligation to ship to him.. He sounds kinda fishy, BUT there shouldn't be much wrong giving someone your PayPal email. Thats how PayPal works, you essentially send money to an email and PayPal sends the money to the account linked to that email. So only PayPal knows the bank account # (which you should NEVER give you anyone).

But I wouldn't deal with that guy at all...

JTA
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-05-31, 22:11

Anybody ever heard of "old barn rd sarasota, FL 34232" the new winner says he's from here. Hasn't paid yet.

ebay refunded me but only half of it. This is starting to get expensive......


Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-31, 22:28

Man, you think eBay's bad? Today I decided to list my modded Xbox on Craigslist since I was having no luck selling it through other channels (several message boards; eBay does not allow you to sell modded consoles). So far I've received two responses, and both were spam of the "bad grammar, located outside the country, doesn't specifically reference the item in question" variety. The first one had me going for a minute but the second was so obvious it was sad.

This is what the Internet has become.
MrENGLISH™
HerrDEUTSCH™

2006-05-31, 22:47

Is it possible to let WR temporally sell his PSP in Nova Bazaar? He's no stranger to AN...

EDIT: I guess that wouldn't really matter because we all know he's trying to sell it for $200 and could just PM him about it...

this message was brought to you by MrENGLISH™
WARNING: may contain Sarcasm and/or Bad Spelling
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2006-06-01, 20:41

I have three words for you about selling it to that eBay person:

NFW

!

Last edited by jcoley2 : 2006-06-01 at 20:47.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-06-01, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2
I have three words for you about selling it to that eBay person:

NFW

!
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2006-06-01, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
I meant No F*&^%ing Way I would sell it or even contact the guy again. . .

I was supposed to be funny. . .but clearly I lacked humor.