User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Setting default browser (without Safari)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Setting default browser (without Safari)
chriswallace00

2005-09-20, 08:10

So, I got mac, didn't like Safari much, a bit slow loading, awkward layout. So I downloaded Camino - which I have to say is very very fast.

However when I was opening static html files (on discs or on my HD) it still used Safari as the default. Click, drag, whoosh. There goes Safari.

So then when I go to open an html file, it opens it in .... MS WORD ?! wtf ? and has set it as default!

I don't really want to have to uninstall everything on the system that can open html files just so I can set Camino as the default.

Also, I read that you can only change default browser INSIDE Safari (which is now long gone)? Is this true? I thought it was only MS who went crazy with proprietery software? I've trawled through all the system preferences I coul find, but to no avail.

Is it possible at all to set Camino as the default browser?

I even tried redownloading Safari but the version on the apple site is only valid for OSX 10.3.8 - 10.3.8.1 or something like that, not tiger compatible.

Apple you've given me a truly wonderful Operating System, but let me amputate bits I don't need without awkward problems like this... please?

iBook g4 - dead (Macbook when leopard arrives)
pc w/xp and ubuntu
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-09-20, 08:14

You should be able to find an .html file, highlight it and hit apple-I to get info on the file. on the window that opens up there should be an option to set what the file opens with, and a button below to change all.

that being said, i don't think there's any way to set the default browser outside of safari. it's a bit of a sore spot for me. to the best of my knowledge, it's the only app. that does it.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-20, 08:21

Quote:
Also, I read that you can only change default browser INSIDE Safari (which is now long gone)? Is this true? I thought it was only MS who went crazy with proprietery software? I've trawled through all the system preferences I coul find, but to no avail.
It's been like this for a long time, since 10.3.0 at the latest.

Now, what do you mean it's long gone? It's right here: Safari -> Preferences -> General.

Quote:
Is it possible at all to set Camino as the default browser?
The newer versions of Camino have an option in the preferences to set it as the default browser. All of the 0.9 and 1.0 builds have had this. Go download the 1.0a1 or a nightly from caminobrowser.org.

Quote:
Apple you've given me a truly wonderful Operating System, but let me amputate bits I don't need without awkward problems like this... please?
Let them know how you feel. Complaining about it to a bunch of geeks isn't going to help.

Below is an image from the latest version of Camino:
Attached Images
File Type: png CaminoScreenSnapz001.png (50.4 KB, 15 views)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chriswallace00

2005-09-20, 09:17

Thanks, I'd downloaded the latest 'stable' version, 0.8.4 which doesn't have the option to set as default.

Oh and btw, I meant that since I'd deleted Safari I couldn't edit the preferences within Safari.

I'll download 1.01 and change it that way. Then leave a polite message at the apple feedback suggesting browser preference integration with OSX itself.

iBook g4 - dead (Macbook when leopard arrives)
pc w/xp and ubuntu