User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple DVR interface revealed in patent drawings...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple DVR interface revealed in patent drawings...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-13, 12:13

From the latest AppleInsider entry.

Would this be a new box involved, or just a new remote and software update. Looks to go head-to-head with Tivo and others.

I could talk about all that stuff, but honestly...who cares? There isn't shit on TV worth recording/re-watching to begin with, so...

No, the reason I'm posting here is because those drawings are the funniest things ever.

I don't know why, but I'm still laughing...

You see the "Walker, Texas Ranger" listings/doodles, so you know the people at Apple are having fun where they can.

I think one of those might be Kevin James, in the "King of Queens".

The gun one is a riot, as well.

Maybe I'm just needing sleep...

Anyway, we can talk about the real aspect of this if you want (boring), or we can riff on - and enjoy - the drawings. I'm all for the latter, so let's play "guess the show", and "guess the celebrity that Letterman is talking to".

As for the "Letterman guest", my guess is Frank Vincent, of "Goodfellas" and "The Sopranos" fame. He's telling Letterman to go home and get his shine box.

Possible alternate is Colm Meaney, and I know you geeks know who he is...he was in one of those 17 "Star Trek" spin-off shows.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-03-13 at 12:24.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-03-13, 12:30

O'Brian!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-03-13, 12:56

Wow. I love my cable box DVR because I can timeshift programs to times that I can watch them at my own leisure. I also love the fact I can fast forward through commercials. I can watch my 'hour long' shows in less than 45 minutes.

Plus my kid loves to watch Bob The Builder. The only catch of course is it's on at 7:30AM when no one is home. Being able to replay it during his TV time at night means we don't have to watch a single BTB DVD over and over and over and over and over again because we can watch the morning broadcast.

The DVR has changed my TV viewing experience for the better. I wouldn't ever go back to only being able to watch my TV shows when the broadcasting companies want me to. If Apple can make it as cool to use a DVR as they have things like phones, computers and portable music listening devices then I'm all for it.

God, I can't imagine going back to the old way having to sit through commercials just to watch a TV show. That's like going back to B&W TVs or not having remote control or something.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-13, 12:59

Definitely might take the TV to a new level and popularity. Maybe that's part of a "take three" update/revision?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-03-13, 13:14

Figure 31:

"When Will I Be Loved..."

"Someday You Will"

They place an inappropriate apostrophe in "The Simpon's" (sic) too.

That talk show guest is not happy. Their King of Queens caricature is spot on. The CSI one is one of the worst drawings I've ever seen. I'm guessing a lawyer did that one!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-13, 13:25

Yeah, that one is great (the "CSI", two-guys-at-a-table). That was the one that got all this rolling for me, actually.

I'm looking a bit closer at it all...seems easy and straightforward to use, if I'm following it all correctly. Little touches of CoverFlow and other things throughout.
k squared

2008-03-13, 14:00

It's an interesting market for Apple to get into...might just be study they wanted to patent just in case?

Also, would this be possible with a software update? I would think the unit would need cablecard access and a much larger HD.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-03-13, 14:36

It wouldn't surprise me though if this thing never sees the light of day. There are just so many design patents and so many internal projects at Apple that never do. It's another case of "I'll believe it when I see it." (Next, on CSI!)
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-03-13, 14:50

My first reaction was cool. But then when I started reading, I became more entertained by the drawings as well.

It's like, damn, they really take this seriously with all that detail, but then they're so funny that you can tell they are having fun. Awesome.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Reid

2008-03-13, 20:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
As for the "Letterman guest", my guess is Frank Vincent, of "Goodfellas" and "The Sopranos" fame. He's telling Letterman to go home and get his shine box.

Possible alternate is Colm Meaney, and I know you geeks know who he is...he was in one of those 17 "Star Trek" spin-off shows.
I was thinking Dan Rather:

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-03-13, 20:59

Quote:
He had a starring role in two of the spin-off shows. Get it right, man!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-03-13, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
He had a starring role in two of the spin-off shows. Get it right, man!
He only really has a starring role in DS9, though; it's more of a recurring one in TNG.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-03-15, 01:52

I really hope they do release a DVR, but I don't think I'll believe it till I see it anymore.

It would need two tuners put into it (a lot more than just a software update!) to be of any use to me, preferably HD ones (since there's HD-only channels here, not because I have a HD TV unfortunately).

Would also be nice if it had a Superdrive (and in the future a Bluray Superdrive).

And I'd also want a 500GB HDD. May settle for 300GB.

Wouldn't complain if as an added bonus it could play a couple of games (NOT as it's primary function or as an Xbox competitor - before I start getting OMG APPLE SHOULDNT COMPETE IN GAMES flames).
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-03-15, 03:35

So...what does this mean anyway?

Apple IPTV?
Well it would be nice to see Apple implement a way to distribute live TV over iTunes, but scalability is a huge concern. Imagine an infrastructure built to withstand the single-day onslaught that is the Super Bowl, yet still be economical every other day of the year.

Apple branded cable/telco DVR?
Apple and cablecos/telcos wouldn't be able to partner with each other. AppleTV competes directly with OnDemand, and it wouldn't make sense for Apple to build another box minus AppleTV functionality.

Apple DVR interface for existing DVR hardware a la Comcast TiVo?
Probably not.

Personally I'd love to see Apple be able to release first-run TV shows and live TV via streaming protocol as they appear on a traditional television schedule, and be able to organize my downloads or timeshifts remotely via my iPhone.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-03-17, 13:19

http://www.unwiredview.com/2008/03/1...ellflip-phone/

Some more patent drawings for a transparent double-sided touch interface. One of the examples is the bottom portion of a flip phone.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-17, 14:14

It almost seems more convoluted and "messy" than the current approach/design. The "flip" thing just strikes me as odd.

Interesting filing though. I guess the sky is the limit, now that they've nailed this sort of interface and tech. Things we wouldn't even imagine two years ago, they might be actively working on as we speak, and we see it on store shelves before the holidays...
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-03-17, 15:21

Quote:
It almost seems more convoluted and "messy" than the current approach/design. The "flip" thing just strikes me as odd.
The clamshell makes for a smaller phone. iPhone nano anyone?

The transparent lid also acts as a screen protector while also giving additional touch interfaces. I think it's especially intriguing when you consider the iPhone platform as a potential gaming platform. It's even more intriguing if they can implement a monochromatic LCD
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-17, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
The clamshell makes for a smaller phone.
When closed, sure. You open it up to use that "flip" part and it's probably larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
iPhone nano anyone?
No. Why? If it goes "smaller/slimmer", but loses some functions, I don't get into that much. We're conditioned, after a few years, to think that Apple releases something, and automatically has to follow it up with a "nano" or "mini" version.

I'm not arguing or being a pill about anything above. I just don't see much clamoring for an "iPhone mini"...or why people would go out of their way to want one. Or that "slightly smaller" is always the way to go (or what we assume is "next").
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-03-17, 17:15

Quote:
When closed, sure. You open it up to use that "flip" part and it's probably larger.
That may be a better question to ask Samsung, LG, Nokia and every other phone maker. A flip phone is smaller or larger when you need it to be. It's smaller because it fits in my pocket, but it's larger when pressed against my head.

Quote:
No. Why? If it goes "smaller/slimmer", but loses some functions, I don't get into that much. We're conditioned, after a few years, to think that Apple releases something, and automatically has to follow it up with a "nano" or "mini" version.
It may have a smaller screen and less storage, but it's not like the new patent reduces its functionality. On the contrary it implies two additional touch surfaces to play with.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-17, 17:24

Maybe this is the iPhone v2.0, and the first major change seen? Do you think there will be different models/versions of iPhones, all existing at the same time, or do you think when a new (flip, 3G, etc.) model comes out, the current one will go away?

I wonder how Apple will go about all that...
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-03-17, 18:22

I'd be very curious to see the exact details of Apple and AT&T's agreement. Perhaps they can offer a phone on another network, or independent of any network, if it is an entirely new phone. Maybe this will be a CDMA phone.

Doubtful, but who knows.

While I think the current iPhone is close to perfect, you do have to consider that the market has been flooded with phones of all shapes, sizes, and colors for a long time. People are used to looking for the phone that they think is perfect for them.

Of course, that was all pre-iPhone so it was more of a "lesser of 200 evils" kind of search.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-03-18, 07:04

There will not be a CDMA iPhone. Period.
Jasoco

2008-03-22, 16:59

Why is "Friends" on ABC after LOST?
jjahshik32

2008-04-09, 18:10

Quote:

I never used to watch star trek.. I hated it, I'ved tried watching it once and fell asleep.. but I dont know him from star trek but I him from Sopranos!!