Elon Musk to buy Twitter, take company private
Page 12 of 18 First Previous 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16  Next Last Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-05-10, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
It's my choice for the name of any new band I may put together in the coming years.

Maybe just RBoF and let people guess?
Should fit right in with that band from the late 90’s/early 2000s, that was called ‘Puddle of Mud’.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-05-10, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Journalists love Twitter because it's a real-time information network.
It was, yes. That value has been steadily decreasing by the minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
am pretty surprised he didn't go to another conservative network instead.
"Conservative" Twitter alternatives don't really work because those trolls want someone to react to. When all that's left is your bubble, you have nothing to talk about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Should fit right in with that band from the late 90’s/early 2000s, that was called ‘Puddle of Mud’.
My memories are blurry.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-10, 17:48

Y'all I came in to read this thread and spent 20 minutes looking up the band "RBoF" with no good results then finally wandered back to the previous page. I must have written that before I even woke up.

I did it to myself

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-05-10, 18:35

Doof.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-05-10, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Yes, the drop in Twitter ad revenue is well known. Hence the search for new streams.

Musk has said that Carlson doesn't have any special 'deal' with Twitter, just the regular Creator stuff. The problem for me with Carlson's Fox show was always too much advertising, so I doubt he'll have a big problem selling ads.
If Carlson started using Twitter's private subscriptions feature at the public terms, Twitter would take a 20% of the subscription price after app store fees. Given the ARPU of a American Twitter user (pre-acquisition) was $36, Carlson would have to charge about $230 for this to work out financially for Twitter.

Carlson averaged 3.5 million viewers. If every single one of them subscribed, that's $122 million.

But how many other users would leave as a result? And how many advertisers will balk at their brand showing up next to his content? Both of those combined could very easily outweigh $122 million in new revenue.

Carlson does have trouble selling ads. That's known.

Again, I don't see how Elon can make the math work here.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-05-11, 16:04

Seriously, how much of an insufferable cunt does one have to be to get fired from their gig by the network who once had Bill O'Reilly as their "bright spot"/figurehead?

Holy smokes.

Tucker Carlson is a complete twat, on a good day. Any grown man wearing a bow tie, unironically, needs a punch. Jon Stewart had his number years ago. And I've got zero use for Stewart, so...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2023-05-11, 16:44

Twitter is well on the way to becoming Gab/Parler 2.0.

(And Bsky may well be 3.0)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-05-11, 17:27

Chances that Musk actually steps down in 6 weeks after he said a new CEO has been hired today?

Someone else pointed out that it's a typical "glass cliff" scenario. Men run a product into the ground, name a woman CEO when the company is in trouble, and then blame the woman when the company doesn't turn around.

Good luck to whatever fool took that job.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-11, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
My memories are blurry.
Not a band I listened to, but I know the name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOcEtWdu55A
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-05-12, 03:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Someone else pointed out that it's a typical "glass cliff" scenario. Men run a product into the ground, name a woman CEO when the company is in trouble, and then blame the woman when the company doesn't turn around.

Good luck to whatever fool took that job.
Could be. I just don't know how you can salvage the company even with the best CEO of all time. Running social media is already a difficult business; running social media with $44B of debt to pay off? Good luck indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Not a band I listened to, but I know the name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOcEtWdu55A
I don't really know much about the band; I'm just saying.
chucker

2023-05-12, 14:10

The "noooo, we wanted someone more far-right" reactions to Elon's announcement of a new CEO are fun.

A few examples:

«I just don't understand why you would choose someone even remotely affiliated w/ the WEF»

«I guess time will tell whether or not you just tossed Twitter to the wolves.

The WEF affiliation here is concerning.»

«About to unsubscribe...don't want to be rounded up.»

«Yaccarino literally spent 2020-2022 shilling the Covid vax. She made a huge campaign about it. You think she's not going to censor "medical misinformation"?»

«She PROUDLY flaunts her chair position at the WEF. Really think she won't find ways to promote her globalist agenda?»

«Why did you go through the trouble of buying Twitter, just to reinstate a woke CEO?»

«Lol. People thought this guy was on our side.»

OK, so that's all weird WEF / COVID stuff. How about her gender?

«"She". Well that was fun. See you on Bluesky!» (You… are aware that Bluesky's CEO, too, is a woman?)

«Giving women any form of power»

«People think Elon Musk is intelligent and awake but he's still blue pilled on many big issues like Feminism. Voting on feelings is what got us into this mess. I have zero confidence in any women inside the Tech industry to be partial, fair, or effective.»

Normal stuff!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-12, 14:42

I kind of figured that would be the reaction when I heard the news.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-05-12, 17:24

I said it in my first post in this stupid thread/story. These people absolutely all deserve each other. More than ever. The butt-hurt Left, the tactical flashlight fetishist Right. Crybabies all. I love seeing them all in pain and dismay, over something they never knew existed just 12 or so short years ago.

“How am I gonna be so annoying, tiresome and wrong to so many people, so efficiently, if Twitter goes away?! Waaaaaaahhhh!”

Terminal Fuckwittery in 140 characters (or whatever the limit is now).

Anyone truly concerned about twitter’s future/fate needs to go outside, read a book, build an airplane model, beat off, buy a puppy (or some coloring books), build a treehouse, find a romantic/sexual partner, learn to BBQ or bake, take archery lessons, learn glass-blowing or ironworking, get into Ham or CB radio, discover Hitchcock movies, etc. Something. Anything

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-05-12 at 17:35.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-12, 21:40

Quote:
Anyone truly concerned about twitter’s future/fate needs to go outside, read a book, build an airplane model, beat off, buy a puppy (or some coloring books), build a treehouse, find a romantic/sexual partner, learn to BBQ or bake, take archery lessons, learn glass-blowing or ironworking, get into Ham or CB radio, discover Hitchcock movies, etc. Something. Anything
But, but they do have a hobby, crying like little babies.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-05-13, 01:49

I took my own advice and watched this Hitchcock compilation DVD I got for Christmas a few years ago. Older stuff I’ve never heard of.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-13, 06:52

I unsuccessfully chased a girl with that last name and gave her a similar compilation when I was cleaning stuff out. Weird girl. Every time she called she would say "Hi Drew, it's ____ Hitchcock..." as if I didn't know. 🤣

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-05-13, 08:34

Let’s face it. All the chaseable girls are a little weird. Or is it the other way around?

At least she was courteous enough to announce herself. Like Seinfeld, I’ve had the “hey, it’s me” type a couple of times. Aggravating. “Help me out, because, shocker, you might not be the only female I’m communicating with, and we’re simply not at “it’s me” stage/status. I find that sort of thing a bit arrogant and presumptuous. “I know you got to know who this is.”

Just sounds like something Paris Hilton or some reality show type with an overinflated opinion of herself might say.

Doesn’t happen much now with smartphones with names attached to numbers, but back in the landline/pre-caller ID says, I stepped in it a few times.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-05-13 at 08:45.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-13, 09:42

This is getting weird. That says something about the subject matter me thinks.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-05-13, 10:54

Exactly. Twitter is absolutely weird. And all this caterwauling and angst pointed in its direction, even more so.

If Tesla Boy has fully corn-holed it into oblivion/irrelevancy, that's just how things go sometimes.

Build a better mousetrap.

Who ever said Twitter was to be the all-time, end-all/be-all of online messaging/communication/soapboxing/bickering anyway?

I remember, not too long ago, Myspace was all the rage. It's deader than two ducks on a garbage barge.

It happens.

People may discover that they're okay without it, after all, and life settles back to normal for most. Maybe someone should've said "no" to Elon? Has the guy ever even heard the word in his life? Where was the indication that he was the right person to control/run the outfit? Being good/successful/lucky(?) at one thing doesn't automatically mean you just have the magic, golden touch for everything. Obviously. Smarter people than I'll ever be maybe should've looked at all this harder. "No, this goofy-looking dickwit isn't buying this company. Not a chance. We're not replacing one with another. Jack can pursue his hobo chic thing somewhere else and we'll do a serious, diligent search for someone who isn't unhinged." And all these past few months are avoided/sidestepped. Gruber and his pals don't have to waste countless hours of podcast/writing time on the topic, I never started this stupid thread, etc.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-05-13 at 11:06.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-13, 11:19

No way, MSN messenger for life. Yes nothing lasts forever, in the tech world that’s almost a given.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-05-13, 11:57

Quote:
Exactly. Twitter is absolutely weird. And all this caterwauling and angst pointed in its direction, even more so.

If Tesla Boy has fully corn-holed it into oblivion/irrelevancy, that's just how things go sometimes.

Build a better mousetrap.

Who ever said Twitter was to be the all-time, end-all/be-all of online messaging/communication/soapboxing/bickering anyway?

I remember, not too long ago, Myspace was all the rage. It's deader than two ducks on a garbage barge.

It happens.

People may discover that they're okay without it, after all, and life settles back to normal for most. Maybe someone should've said "no" to Elon? Has the guy ever even heard the word in his life? Where was the indication that he was the right person to control/run the outfit? Being good/successful/lucky(?) at one thing doesn't automatically mean you just have the magic, golden touch for everything. Obviously. Smarter people than I'll ever be maybe should've looked at all this harder. "No, this goofy-looking dickwit isn't buying this company. Not a chance. We're not replacing one with another. Jack can pursue his hobo chic thing somewhere else and we'll do a serious, diligent search for someone who isn't unhinged." And all these past few months are avoided/sidestepped. Gruber and his pals don't have to waste countless hours of podcast/writing time on the topic, I never started this stupid thread, etc.
He showed up offering to pay nearly twice as much as the company's value at the time. That was his only qualification.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-26, 04:31

I see that John Gruber attended the recent announcement by Ron DeSantis that he would run for president. He describes the quality of the call thusly:

"In the end, the event had all of the appeal of a glitchy conference call."

So my question is, why couldn't Elon offer high quality video and superb audio?

My guess is that it's because no one was tasked with properly making it happen; that it fell to staffers who were not given the time or the tools.

For DeSantis it's a blunder that goes on his permanent political record. A bad launch is bad luck.

For Musk, it seems to indicate that Twitter is exactly as wounded as people here have theorized.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-05-26, 07:11

Quote:
These people absolutely all deserve each other. More than ever. The butt-hurt Left, the tactical flashlight fetishist...
I've been smiling like a dork for the last 20 minutes because I originally misread this as "tactical fleshlight" :LOL:
chucker

2023-05-26, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
For DeSantis it's a blunder that goes on his permanent political record. A bad launch is bad luck.
Yeah, seems like a stunt that backfired a little. Using Twitter to announce was potentially smart; it's a unique approach, and it's one that reaches the most vocal among the target audience. But, gotta make sure the tech is ready…
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-05-26, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I see that John Gruber attended the recent announcement by Ron DeSantis that he would run for president. He describes the quality of the call thusly:

"In the end, the event had all of the appeal of a glitchy conference call."

So my question is, why couldn't Elon offer high quality video and superb audio?

My guess is that it's because no one was tasked with properly making it happen; that it fell to staffers who were not given the time or the tools.

For Musk, it seems to indicate that Twitter is exactly as wounded as people here have theorized.

He fired all the engineers who know how to scale the live media infrastructure. In the end the issue was very simple: that stack autoscales, but has a resource cap that nobody knew to temporarily lift.

Twitter has run live audio/video events with an order of magnitude more concurrent viewers in the past. This is what happens when you fire everyone.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-05-26, 23:32

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-05-26, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I've been smiling like a dork for the last 20 minutes because I originally misread this as "tactical fleshlight" :LOL:
Well, that too! In matte black and camo, of course.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2023-06-05, 12:47

Quote:
Can I provide a personal counterexample? There are really amazing things that Twitter is uniquely positioned to do that I haven't found another platform for. I've raised almost a hundred thousand dollars towards LGBTQ charities, via doing a twitter-centric fundraising set of novel anthologies. and I really don't know where else we'll get the ability for equal viral spread, when a community of authors and readers has been centered there for over a decade, and when Twitter allows easy sharing onto other timelines so people can go "whoa! these books look cool!" and join in.

I hear you that Twitter is a toxic political cesspit, it's stressful, it contributes to divisions of politics. In fact, I expect a couple people will eyeroll when I talk about my fundraising work because it's woke and political - and look, feel however you feel about the topic of LGBTQ rights or charities, but can I just ask that folks look aside their feelings about the What and just be proud of me for creating and spearheading an initiative that's done so much? I think being able to unify a broad community of people to raise donations for charity is an amazing and brilliant thing, and I'm proud of the work I've done, and I'm going to be sad when it's not doable anymore.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-06-05, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Can I provide a personal counterexample?
What am I gonna do, say no? Don’t ask, just do it. I don’t run/control such things.

Good for you. Seems a shame you have to wade into all that just to get something important to you done. It sucks that a known “toxic cesspit” is the only game in town for such endeavors. Doesn’t that strike you as a bit unfortunate and screwed up? Seems like there should be a better way/place to do those things. But, hey…momentum. And the devil you know. “Yes, it’s a sea of absolute, unrepentant fuckwittery, but it’s the only place I can do my thing.”

Ugh. That’s no good.

There’s no way Twitter is the only means/tool for such undertakings. That’s truly unfortunate if so. It’s going to go away eventually as long as a developmentally challenged/socially retarded man-child is running things and making one moron decision after another.

I assume it’s limping by right now, with all the personnel who’ve been fired or who have quit. Like those guys hanging around playing violins as Titanic was sinking. Go find a lifeboat and don’t wait until the damn thing is resting in the ocean floor.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-06-05 at 13:30.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2023-06-05, 13:43

It was a rhetorical opening, I have a super bad habit of doing my verbal tics online as well..

I'd also like to throw in a very cute fundraiser I helped lead:

the $2,000 in Kitten-related supplies that said Romance community put together for Georgia pets:

(If you're in Georgia, please consider adopting a kitten, or joining in on mailing them supplies, they have Over 200 kittens right now to feed and make healthy.)

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder