AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Current State of Trump®

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Current State of Trump®
Page 6 of 18 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  Next Last Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-04-09, 00:29

There's no government-affiliated White House gift shop.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-04-09, 00:42

Interesting....

"The origin of the White House Gift Shop, long known as WHGS, began as The White House Flower Fund which was renamed The White HousePolice Benefit Fund on September 9, 1946 by President Harry S. Truman and permanently ordered in 1951 by presidential memorandum.

"The White House Police Fund's objectives were to provide flowers when a member had a death in their immediate family and to present a special gift to retiring White House Police (now the Uniformed Division of United States Secret Service) members.

On November 1, 1950, White House Police Officer Leslie Coffelt was killed and two other Officers, Joseph Davidson and Donald Birdzell, were injured while defending President Truman during an assassination attempt at Blair House. Following this assassination attempt and the heroic actions of Officer Coffelt, President Truman by permanent Presidential Order in coordination with then Chief of Secret Service, James Rowley and Army Brigadier General Harry Vaughan, enlarged the mission of the White House Police Fund which was renamed The White House Gift Shop, Est. 1946."

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-04-09, 08:11

Nobody’s got the gold proof “grab ‘em by the pussy” commemorative coin?!? The carving/relief is exquisite.

The U.S. Mint was working overtime with that graceless bozo on the job. The “shithole” silver dollar, etc.
¡Damned!

2023-05-10, 07:59

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-10, 08:06

I actually think the worst part is he will still be the one to make the Republican ticket. Of course, he will appeal the case and it will drag on.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2023-06-09, 15:32

Federal Indictment on 38 Counts:

31 Counts of Willful Retention of National Defense Information

1 count each of:
Conspiracy to Obstruct Justice
Withholding a Document or Record
Corruptly Concealing a Document or Record
Concealing a Document in a Federal Investigation
Scheme to Conceal

2 counts of:
False Statements and Representations

Guess his "I can declassify things with my mind" wasn't the solid legal defense strategy that he thought it was.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-06-09, 18:27

... and he will still likely be picked for the Republican ticket.

I mean, he is innocent until proven guilty and all that.
¡Damned!

2023-06-09, 20:44

I'd like to predict that it's Romney, but I honestly don't think the off-the-rails-psycho that the Republican Party is right now can bank that quickly and hard to just 'conservative'. They're too far down the strongman fascist path to be saved, I have a feeling.

I feel for all the solid (R) voters out there with an education or conscience – either vote for an authoritarian or don't vote at all. If it makes them feel any better, I wish the US had a left-wing party that I could vote for too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So it goes.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-06-10, 03:54

The base, at a national level, overwhelmingly wants Trump.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-06-10, 07:42

I haven't even HEARD Romney's name mentioned in a few years. Trump, DeeSantis/DuhSantis, Pence, Christie, Scott, all of that bunch, yes.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-06-10, 07:50

Same. Who pulls Romney out of a hat, as though anyone thinks of/considers him?

This current bunch of wingnuts Drew lists are all I see/hear about these days. Romney is the Republican Hillary...loses every time he tries. It'll never happen, for whatever reason(s). Give it up, pal.

Every one of them, especially the top, frontrunners, fails my "cat/mail" test, in that I wouldn't trust them to feed my cat/get my mail if I had to go out of town. Someone who can't do that, doesn't get to be president. Trump would burn my house down, accidentally(?), say he couldn't find the mailbox and otherwise bungle the job (and then blame it on everyone else). Christie would eat my cat and raid my mail for all the Burger King coupons, Pence would think my cat is gay and let him starve and that idiot from Florida would see a couple of my Disney DVDs and stroke out.

Who, among that bunch, would I dare give a key to my place? Not one. No elected official, any party.

Not one of these clowns would I leave to look over my place while I drank on the beach in Hawaii for 4-5 days. Not one. I say this every four years, but am I truly to believe that in a country this large/this many people, these known fuckwits (of questionable ability/qualifications) are who it all boils down to? The manager at my local Food Lion (regional grocery chain, for those of you not in the area) seems more grounded/capable/useful than any declared, professional political figures running for the gig (aka "the quibbledicks vying for helicopter rides on the White House lawn"...my favorite P.J. O'Rourke quote/description re: the process and the assorted numbnuts participating).

I'm not playing this go-around, it's just all too ridiculous/insulting. I'm writing in all my choices. At least I can have some fun with it. Unfortunately, all my top/first choices are dead (Steve Irwin, Rutger Hauer, Laurence Olivier, Aretha Franklin, Merle Haggard and Tom Petty).
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-06-10, 08:41

I think it might be worse than that. I can’t fully make out how genuinely nuts any of them are. Are they stoking crazy because they really are, or because they know it sells? And which is worse?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-06-10, 19:31

Both equally bad, but maybe the “crazy for effect/points” edges out genuinely so. Any kind of fakery always does.

For years I’ve just believed anyone running for the gig isn’t playing with a full deck. Someone wanting something that bad that they’ll subject themselves - and, worse, their family - through all the digging and dirt and “gotcha!” that’s part of it automatically disqualifies themselves for me. My ideal candidate isn’t even vying for/wanting the gig. “Ah, a person of integrity, not out for power or glory. He/she has my support!”

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-06-10 at 20:00.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-06-20, 09:31

Sometimes I'm sure playing at it is worse, other times I'm not. As you mention, it's close. I am increasingly afraid that at some point fuckwittery (*I feel like you might have coined that term) becomes it's own kind of problem/evil even worse than the malevolent kind.

I was remined of this thread by the recent Curt Schilling story (it's about the ex-president's legal worries) in my newsfeed... I guess I looked at the wrong combination of sports and political stories this week. I never really followed his career, but the story made me want to share something I've been doing with my kids for the last, well since the beginning: They're not allowed to mention celebrity endorsement/opinion of any idea at face value, especially sports figures - who may have trained their bodies for excellence, but their their minds are another question. I tell them every time to be equally suspicious and annoyed when people ask celebs the simple question "What do you think?" Who cares? Or more precisely, why do you care? Someone's ability to score goals, throw strikes, hit balls, whatever... it offers no reasonable grounds to suspect their thoughts on any other matter might prove instructive. Talk to your neighbor, the kids in your class, the people at work. Their proximity to you in no way increases the odds they have anything good to offer, but at least you know something about them and your immediate environment, and it's going to be very hard for them to pretend their opinion matters more than yours because of fame/notoriety.

Last edited by Matsu : 2023-06-20 at 14:12.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-06-20, 11:35

Thought/believed this for years. I’ve never looked to a celebrity for insight on any matter: political, cultural, scientific, etc.

I couldn’t care less what Gandalf or Wonder Woman thinks/feels about anything, I promise.

I could write paragraphs of brutal, profane stuff on that mindset. But I’m not gonna. It’s Taco Tuesday, I got more pressing, interesting stuff to ponder and plan.

Pretty sure I didn’t come up with that word, Matsu. But I started using it several years ago because it’s descriptive and rolls off the tongue nicely and always gets a big laugh when I use it around others in real life.

“Dickwit/dickwittery” is my (slightly) cleaner alternative I use if I’m in the presence of a nun or something.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-06-20, 12:07

Yeah, I'm right there with you on teaching our kids who to follow and for what. The ability to act on screen doesn't mean you have a brain. Generally I've actually seen the explicit lack of a brain if you are an actor actually. They spend most of their time pretending to be what someone else told them to be, why would I think they are actually forming their own thought process and not regurgitating something someone told them.

Singers fall into the same category. Really, entertainers in general. I'd even group most "pro sports" into that entertainer category since that really is what they have all moved to.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2023-06-20, 12:14

"Let's see what Ja's thoughts are..."

As much as Chappelle is a fuckwit at times, he can be damn funny.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-06-20, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
…why would I think they are actually forming their own thought process and not regurgitating something someone told them.
That’s kind of the process of learning, hardly anyone has a truly original thought. In modern times we’ve been so influenced by a combination of parents, teachers, peers and advertisers that we are all kind of messed up, let alone the cults of religious teaching and other such things. I cannot even trust myself, let alone other people.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-06-20, 17:48

It sounds trite, but... yep. No one has opinions in a void, they are always a reflection of our upbringing, news sources, media choices, family, friends, etc, etc. Always be questioning, yourself more than anyone. If you can't deconstruct your own beliefs down to stateable axioms, and build them back up with reason, I don't give them much weight.

It takes training, diligence, and humility to do so on a regular basis. It's not easy, and it requires really sitting with yourself and asking hard questions, but it's the only way to truly have any hope of working from an ethical, moral, *and* logical center.

I was raised in a fundamentalist cult, so I had 20 years of hard questions to work through and shuck, and it was emotionally and psychologically pummeling (thanks, 'Elders', for the trauma!) but in the end it was worth it.

Don't trust yourself, know yourself. Know where your weaknesses of opinion are, and ferret them out to either shore them up, or find the courage to overturn them.

Remember, the only time "I know I'm right, it's the *world* that is wrong" was correct was Beverly Crusher in the collapsing bubble universe. Everyone else is fooling themselves.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2023-06-20, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
"Let's see what Ja's thoughts are..."

As much as Chappelle is a fuckwit at times, he can be damn funny.
That is the first thing that came to mind with the recent turn this thread had taken.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-06-20, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Remember, the only time "I know I'm right, it's the *world* that is wrong" was correct was Beverly Crusher in the collapsing bubble universe.
And even then, against all odds, she collected and used empirical evidence in her reasoning!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-06-20, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Don't trust yourself, know yourself. Know where your weaknesses of opinion are, and ferret them out to either shore them up, or find the courage to overturn them.
Yes. Just a sign of the influence of others have one us, I was reminded of a professor saying something along the lines of, "as soon as I think I know it all, I remind myself how little I truly know." Sometimes we have to delete some bad programing from our early days, and get new software.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-06-21, 03:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
And even then, against all odds, she collected and used empirical evidence in her reasoning!
And, like another TV redhead known for that mindset/leanings, probably looked super hot in the process.

Oh, hi, Dana!

*ducks, prior to the ensuing trigger-fest..,
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-06-21, 08:41

While none of us really have an original thought, the different between entertainers and someone who is trained in a field is the one trained in a field actually understands what they are saying and have the background behind the information they are sharing. An entertainer might have heard something, said what they heard and never understood what they were actually saying or have the background of training.

That is my point. If I want to know how to sing to millions of fans, I'll try to get under the wing of a singer. If I want to play football then I would try to hangout with pro football players. If I want political input, I'm not asking someone who specializes in throwing a ball. If I want to know how to complete a formula (math or science) I'm not going to ask a singer.

Opinions are worthless and we all have them. I'm talking about stuff like the Chappelle video linked above. I don't care what some singer thinks about that situation and I'm teaching my kids to consider their source. That is the point.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-06-21, 08:54

I don’t think any of us here are the type to follow celebrities or listen to their opinions. I kind of figured that was a given, when I said what I did.
¡Damned!

2023-07-28, 08:26

A few more charges got added to the pile yesterday. Apparently, after security footage from Mar-a-Lago was subpoenaed by a federal grand jury, Trump directly ordered his minions to delete everything because of course he did.

So one more charge of Willful Retention of National Defense Information (related to the Iran War Plan he was showing off in Bedminster), one count of Altering, Destroying, Mutilating or Concealing an Object, and one count of Corruptly Altering, Destroying, Mutilating or Concealing a Document, Record or Other Object.

A new underling caught charges in this round along with the guy charged previously. The superseding indictment (pg.27 for security footage) reads like some inept mob boss drama - at times almost laughably - but keep in mind this is a previous United States President, currently in the running to be the next United States President, and by all accounts in the lead to get the nod and approval from Republicans to be the person that represents them in '24.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2023-07-28 at 08:55.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-07-28, 09:16

Once a crook, always a crook. I’m shocked, shocked!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-07-28, 16:46

I'm still blown away that this asshat could have continued to do his real estate grifting for the rest of his life and been perfectly fine and not get caught, but he decided to try and elevate his grifting to unforeseen levels and now it's hopefully finally catching up to him.

I really do hope that something comes of these 37383 indictments. But I refuse to actually have faith in anything actually happening.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-07-28, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I'm still blown away that this asshat could have continued to do his real estate grifting for the rest of his life and been perfectly fine and not get caught, but he decided to try and elevate his grifting to unforeseen levels and now it's hopefully finally catching up to him.

I really do hope that something comes of these 37383 indictments. But I refuse to actually have faith in anything actually happening.
This is what I don't get about Rudy. I don't really know anything about his time as mayor other than 9/11, but my sense is that he could've had a Senate seat/book deal/elder statesman kinda thing if he wanted given his incredibly popularity after 2001, and instead he's out giving press conferences at landscapers while hair dye runs down his forehead.

Makes no sense.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-07-28, 22:37

Rudy probably could have gotten a Senate or House seat, but he decided to try and run for President which failed spectacularly. Dude is a whack job and thinks he single handedly saved NYC after 9/11.

NYC Mayors are a special breed. They think they are incredible men who singlehandedly did all of the things that NYC is known for. de Blasio was like that, Erick Adams is making press conferences play a walk up song for him.

There is a reason that no NYC mayor has gote on to higher office since 1869. NYC Mayors are just a bunch of asshats.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.