Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Threads: An Instagram App

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Threads: An Instagram App
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-07-06, 09:16

Ok, this was released yesterday and it's been an absolute garbage fire since then.

The timeline is filled with brands and celebs just using another outlet and I barely see any posts from people I actually follow.

I activated my account to keep my username, but I'm hoping that they actually activate ActivityPub so I can follow people in a separate app.

Not a surprise at all how this has gone so far.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-07-06, 09:36

I've not seen much good posted about this. Personally I think it just another grab for Zuck and team to try to grab more personal details to sell to the highest bidder.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-07-06, 12:33

Meta vs Twitter, how can it go wrong? Evil or double evil? Make your choice!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-07-06, 13:00

I pretty much just activated to claim my username as well. Well see how it goes. I'll poke around from time to time and give it time to get itself situated. Seems like there's a lot of early adoption but the timeline is just a cluster fuck.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-07-06, 15:58

Shitfukdam I did it now but WHY??

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2023-07-06, 19:04

I'm kinda new to this decentralized social networks, but I can't help but feel this app is mostly a wolf in sheep's clothing on ActivityPub. Build something quick, push to X-millions of users, give them something shiny to look at while Meta spiders crawl and report back everything about everyone.

I straight-up don't understand the privacy of the Fediverse. The speed in which Meta jumped in makes me question what they see as valuable we users haven't yet.

I hope, after the growing pains of recent chaos, some über devs take another pass at Fediverse privacy to make sure the focus is on communities and not avenues for targeted marketing.

But that's just my usual "the sky is falling" dark cloud paranoia.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-07-06, 21:51

Shitfukdam y'all I seriously don't even know what it DOES.

I made mine private but still see conversations from people I don't know.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-07-06, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
I'm kinda new to this decentralized social networks, but I can't help but feel this app is mostly a wolf in sheep's clothing on ActivityPub. Build something quick, push to X-millions of users, give them something shiny to look at while Meta spiders crawl and report back everything about everyone.

I straight-up don't understand the privacy of the Fediverse. The speed in which Meta jumped in makes me question what they see as valuable we users haven't yet.

I hope, after the growing pains of recent chaos, some über devs take another pass at Fediverse privacy to make sure the focus is on communities and not avenues for targeted marketing.

But that's just my usual "the sky is falling" dark cloud paranoia.
Privacy in the fediverse is very simple: there is none.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2023-07-06, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Privacy in the fediverse is very simple: there is none.
Hmmmm shucks. Welp, I'm still learning. I should have better anonymized data before creating my profile in hindsight.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind going forward.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-07-08, 10:59

Not sure how many people here will join Threads, but I figured I’d at least share my profile here.

https://www.threads.net/@kierankelly
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-07-08, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
Hmmmm shucks. Welp, I'm still learning. I should have better anonymized data before creating my profile in hindsight.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind going forward.
Privacy in a decentralized, federated network is a really tough problem because it relies on every instance operator actually respecting deletion requests. Depending on your threat model that may or may not matter.

I led the team in charge of basically this problem at Twitter and built the infra to enforce deletions in our partners' data sets, but we also had an army of lawyers behind us to back that up should someone balk and our contracts gave us the right to audit their data. The fediverse doesn't have that.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-07-08, 13:23

Quote:
Privacy in a decentralized, federated network is a really tough problem because it relies on every instance operator actually respecting deletion requests.
Though arguably this is also true for search engines: you trust that they respect robots.txt, and that they don't archive something you've already deleted. (Not to mention the whole rabbit hole of the Internet archive.)

There have also been instances who, when you block someone, put you on a publicly viewable watch list.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-07-08, 16:08

Quote:
Privacy in a decentralized, federated network is a really tough problem because it relies on every instance operator actually respecting deletion requests.
So as an example, if I make a post on my Masto account, any masto instance that is federated with the masto instance I'm on will see it. If I decide to delete my post that deletion might not be honored by every federated masto instance my instance is connected to?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-07-08, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
If I decide to delete my post that deletion might not be honored by every federated masto instance my instance is connected to?
Hypothetically, no, it might not. Any admin could run a Mastodon-compatible software that doesn't honor the deletion. And even if they don't, they can always run backups.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-07-08, 17:07

I didn't think about a deleted post not being honored by other hosts, but I guess that could be a thing?

I guess I'm not too worried about things like that, but that also goes to show the privilege that I have about worrying about posts.

And also, in the grand scheme of things, once things are on the internet, they're pretty much there regardless, even if you delete them.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-07-08, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
So as an example, if I make a post on my Masto account, any masto instance that is federated with the masto instance I'm on will see it. If I decide to delete my post that deletion might not be honored by every federated masto instance my instance is connected to?

This is one of several concerns, yes. Also, DMs on mastodon aren't really DMs. They have some VERY confusing semantics and should not at all be considered private.