Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Ipod Video - Trick to Playing Videos on your TV using generic mini a/v cables

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Ipod Video - Trick to Playing Videos on your TV using generic mini a/v cables
Zebulunite

2006-04-11, 19:54

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...hreadid=230822

"Not so much a slick deal, but more so useful information that could save you from having to buy expensive Apple A/V Cables. If you use regular camcorder cables (mini a/v) the red cable is the Video not the yellow, yellow and white now become audio. This was done so you thought you had to buy apple brand cables. Most people already have these cables at home, if not you can pick them up for about $10"

Many posters at Slickdeals confirmed this trick to work. Pretty, uh, "sneaky" of Apple to switch the video output with one of the audio lines...

If only I had a 5G iPod (though I probably would have already bought Apple's cables).
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-04-11, 20:29

Good to know. I don't have an iPod with video yet, but that'll be useful knowledge when the time comes.
Bill M

2006-04-11, 20:51

The discussion you linked points to an article where an understandable explanation has been posted. Seems like it's not Apple trying to be "sneaky", but rather having to engineer the iPod's a/v jack to support previous standards. It's a good read:

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/76989
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-04-11, 21:38

Yeah, it works just fine. I've been doing it for a couple of months. The cable also works to pipe your audio into your stereo if you're just playing music. I don't know if the channels are reversed, but it doesn't really matter anyway.
Zebulunite

2006-04-11, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
The discussion you linked points to an article where an understandable explanation has been posted. Seems like it's not Apple trying to be "sneaky", but rather having to engineer the iPod's a/v jack to support previous standards. It's a good read:

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/76989
Not sure where the slickdeals discussion has a link to that article, but I agree that it is a good read. Sneaky probably wasn't the best word to sum up my feelings earlier, but I see now that Apple most likely was just trying to save money (which, as they are a business, can only be expected), rather than intentionally crippling their product to force consumers to pay for their own overpriced cable.
Bill M

2006-04-12, 00:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebulunite
Not sure where the slickdeals discussion has a link to that article, but I agree that it is a good read. Sneaky probably wasn't the best word to sum up my feelings earlier, but I see now that Apple most likely was just trying to save money (which, as they are a business, can only be expected), rather than intentionally crippling their product to force consumers to pay for their own overpriced cable.
It's on the 3rd page of the slickdeals discussion, 4th post from the bottom. And more than save money, if Apple had designed the iPod's jack to be compatible with the current camcorders A/V cables, we would all need special adapters for regular headphones, as clearly described on the mentioned article. I think Apple did the right thing.

Last edited by Bill M : 2006-04-12 at 00:21.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2006-04-12, 07:50

This really begs the question... why is the 1/8 inch mini-jack AV standard purposefully incompatable with the 1/8 inch mini-jack audio standard?

I had always assumed that when video was added to the 1/8 inch jack, it was simply tacked on the end and remained backward compatable with audio plugs. Apparently not. Was there good motivation for this?
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-04-12, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler
This really begs the question... why is the 1/8 inch mini-jack AV standard purposefully incompatable with the 1/8 inch mini-jack audio standard?

I had always assumed that when video was added to the 1/8 inch jack, it was simply tacked on the end and remained backward compatable with audio plugs. Apparently not. Was there good motivation for this?
Yeah, so some jackass corporation could make more $$
Zebulunite

2006-04-12, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
It's on the 3rd page of the slickdeals discussion, 4th post from the bottom. And more than save money, if Apple had designed the iPod's jack to be compatible with the current camcorders A/V cables, we would all need special adapters for regular headphones, as clearly described on the mentioned article. I think Apple did the right thing.
I see where it is now, I guess I must have missed it earlier.

I agree that, based on that article, Apple did do the most consumer friendly thing (besides indicating on their website or in the manual that a user can use this trick to use generic cables).
AtHomeBoy_2000

2006-04-12, 17:31

So, according to this article, it's actually all the other "mini-a/v" jack makers that are screwed up. Apple was smart
AtHomeBoy_2000

2006-04-12, 17:37

Something I dont think I understand is why the L and R are switched. Obviosuly the ear buds are switched, but standard headphones are backwards when plugged into the iPod? That's just Apple trying to make money