User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Minecraft 1.7: New biomes and terrain! New flowers! New Trees! Oh my!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft 1.7: New biomes and terrain! New flowers! New Trees! Oh my!
Page 5 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2013-12-19, 22:25

I'm most keen on option 2 as well, since it would leave the animals, paintings, item frames, etc. intact. Seriously, I was almost as bummed about all my item frames going *poof* nearly as much as I was my horses. Cataloging is hard work! Plus the Dragon Egg park just wasn't the same.

I've barely used paintings in 1.6, but I know from past worlds that getting the right one in the place you want is a major PITA.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-20, 11:21

I've done a bit of work in the Nether in the new world, but nothing I can't stand to see go. I can always do it again.

Only thing I worry about is all the supplies I collected just prior to the 1.7 update. Those supplies are stored in the Whammer Dome (thanks for the name, Brad ). Plus, I've collected a lot of new supplies in the new Nether, and hope for enough advance notice that I can relocate those to CC before another reboot.

Otherwise, i haven't been around long enough to be too bothered with the decision. Whatever makes the world fun for everyone is what I support.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2013-12-20, 11:38

The stuff gathered prior to 1.7 would still be at the WhammerDome, but I don't think you can move new stuff over and keep it after a reboot since you're moving it to the current broken world.

I think the only way to keep stuff gathered in the last week is if our player inventories don't get wiped, which might be a nice thing to do anyways. That's assuming a reboot and not a wipe of CC, of course.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-20, 12:02

Well, I'll work on paring my stuff down to what I can carry, then. I guess the risk has been run one way or the other. Oh, well.
¡Damned!

2013-12-20, 18:24

Maybe we gather a walking party tonight to explore the edges together? Everyone grab a bed (and maybe a boat) and we walk the new edge around CC to see what's what? It could be a good way to see what biomes are close to CC now, and we can post our findings after the walkabout.

Is anyone else up for that? 8PM EST? 7:30?

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-20, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Is anyone else up for that? 8PM EST? 7:30?
I'm game. I might even bring my magic smoothing wand to shave off the jaggies.
¡Damned!

2013-12-20, 18:29

Oooh. That works in 1.7? I didn't dare to hope.
¡Damned!

2013-12-21, 14:43

That's super interesting. I had no idea, obviously. I'll take that into account for the rest of the park builds - what I thought would be right for fences, I'll redesign.

An aside, and fwiw, I put the *tall* flowers up at the mart:

Bring bonemeal, click them, get flower for dye or planting.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-22, 00:36

Happy (belated) solstice, everybody! My yule tree is finally up just in time to ring in the new season!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-23, 01:58

Whammer helped me to rotate my nether portal so that I don't block the new spawn grid corridor system.

Directly across from my nether portal is a staircase ascending upwards to the Midget Disco, a strange low-roofed rectangular room.

Along the staircase on the way up is a double-back up to a plateau, where I'm angling to create a new shooting gallery - right now I'm not sure where the ghasts congregate but if it's not up there then that's just a good way up to higher parts for now.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
SpecMode
Wait what

2013-12-23, 03:12

Brad: you should have made those ornaments out of stained glass! Didn't you know that colored wool is passé?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-12-23, 10:42

Ooooo.... to be able to put a torch in the stained glass block! Now that would be awesome.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-23, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Ooooo.... to be able to put a torch in the stained glass block! Now that would be awesome.
Not quite the same, but you could surround a torch by stained glass panes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-23, 12:20

I wonder how long it will be before an update allows you to craft 8 panes surrounding a torch to get glowing stained glass?
SpecMode
Wait what

2013-12-23, 13:36

Colored lamps would be awesome. I loved those things in Tekkit/FTB.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-24, 19:11

The people have spoken, and their benevolent overlord has delivered!

Seems several of us have been wanting a decent cobblestone generator for a while. While there may be faster, smaller, or more efficient ones, I'm particularly proud of my design! I talked with Ken and Drew in-game, and the decided location is in the nether near the spawn portal.

Operation is quite simple. Flip the power switch on (down) and press the ignition button once. A stream of cobblestone will start to grow in the hallway to the right of the engine.

Glass observation window!

It'll stop generating cobble once the stream of blocks stretches out of the hallway, but the engine will still be running and making noise. When you're finished mining, please turn it off by flipping the power switch up.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-12-25, 09:42

I actually ended up building one in my basement that generates 4 cobble per cycle... The design is pretty simple and i think it should be reasonably easy to incorporate into your pre-existing structure, Brad if there is interest...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-25, 10:27

I love the location!!

For some reason my skellie spawner seems closer than ever to central spawn hub, so please use it!!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-26, 10:41

Brad's Cobble generator works well. Keeps me from a long trek to mine cobble. Although it's a little less fun than watching toast boil, it's a lot better than tearing the smack out of the CC basement to get building materials. So, good work, brad!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-12-26, 16:42

Is it new that portals to Nether can be three wide? I accidentally made mine at turtle Heights three wide and it worked to my surprise.
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-12-26, 17:24

They can be any size larger than the normal dimensions...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-26, 18:10

Ooooooh … a 10 x 10 portal at Spawn would be cool.

Hmmmmmm …
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-26, 18:35

I think they can be unusual shapes too. Think portals ala Stargate. At least, that was possible during some of the early 1.7 snapshots. Haven't tried any, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-26, 19:16

Make it round, like Stargate!
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-12-27, 03:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Ooooooh … a 10 x 10 portal at Spawn would be cool.

Hmmmmmm …
Nah... The noise there is already terrible...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-27, 11:06

Trust me, Bobsky. I ain't building no 10 x 10 portal anywhere!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-27, 14:05

Automatic Cobble Mining Goodness

Here is a little advisory tidbit for anyone who needs tons of Cobble:

Using Brad's cobble generator in the Nether is a lot better than tearing up a mountainside—and I need a lot of Cobble—but it is about like watching toast boil. In a word, boring!

Since I'm usually at work when I'm playing the Nova map, I have a lot of time when I'm stocking shelves or talking to customers, and I typically bail out of the game. However, an interesting idea struck me: Why can't I be mining while away from the computer? How is that possible, you ask? The answer was so simple it blew my mind: Get yourself a new, diamond pick, stand at the front of the cobble line and aim your target at the foremost obsidian block, rest a stapler on your left mouse button, then walk away. In a few minutes, you'll have stacks and stacks of cobble with no effort, and you can stock shelves until you're sick of it with no lost mining time.

The obsidian will resist the pick in between cobble cycles, so you need not worry about mining it up. Considering it takes about 2 seconds per cycle, you can get around 30 blocks per minute. Fast enough for a few blocks, but forever when you need hundreds (or thousands). Being able to walk away is really nice. Give it a try.

Woo and Hoo!

Happy mining.

P.S. A simple upgrade to the generator would be to put a hopper and a chest beneath the end so cobble would drop into it rather than having to chase it around. But that's just me.

Last edited by kscherer : 2013-12-28 at 13:10.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-27, 18:09

Whew! I saw that first line and was afraid you'd followed through on your earlier suggestion and rigged it up with TNT for the "harvest" part of the process!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-28, 13:13

I saw a Youtube video where some guy had made just such a thing, but it takes a LOT of dynamite and clocks and other business. Waaaaaaay out of my league. And the effort to make, store and restock enough TNT would be counterproductive. Neat concept, but …

And, what, you don't want me blowing a gigantic hole in the Nether?

billybobsky
BANNED

2013-12-28, 13:22

You have no idea how much gun powder the mob trap produces... and it is only half finished...

But seriously: the offer still stands for me to increase the rate of cobble production by adding a few more cobble generator bits...

Edit: I have made an example of the 2x2 cobble generator by my red house. It does not have the pulse generator refinement for starting the clock and the timing could be better optimized, but it's fast... I will leave it up for in case Brad wants to modify his nether one or anyone wants to build their own...

Last edited by billybobsky : 2013-12-28 at 16:20.