AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

RIP iPod Classic

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
RIP iPod Classic
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-12, 15:17

The best! It's what I wanted in the iPod, and it still delivers all I need.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-05-12, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
If Apple had kept the nano around, increased the storage, and allowed music to sync wirelessly/access Apple Music, they'd still be selling.
Yeah, but probably not that much. Everyone has a smartphone. Like… a freaking enormous number of people. Closing in on two thirds of the world population.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-12, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yeah, but probably not that much. Everyone has a smartphone. Like… a freaking enormous number of people. Closing in on two thirds of the world population.
You'd be surprised how many people wander into our shop looking for a small music player. The "only" option they have right now is to haul their stupid iPhone around with them at the gym, or spend a chunk on an Apple Watch. For those of us who hate wearing things like watches, that's just not an option. A small iPod is a vastly superior option.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-05-12, 17:39

Yeah, I agree.

Is anything preventing a third party from making just that? Apple Music has APIs. You could DIY a modernPod nano.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-12, 18:20

For the reasons above - fitness, not messing up one's (expensive) iPhone, not everyone wants/can afford an Apple Watch, etc. - I'm surprised Apple doesn't offer some slim, lightweight shuffle/nano hybrid for the workout/fitness (but for anyone else too) crowd, that just plays music and maybe has some sort of tie-in/connectivity to trackers and goals.

But maybe that era has come and gone, and Apple would rather just sell everyone $429+ phones and watches (whatever they start at).

I sometimes wish I still had my little shuffle or nano when I go on my walks around the track or the subdivision across the road. I don't need the weight/bulk of my phone in my pocket, getting all jostled around/sweaty, but I like to listen to songs when I'm partaking in the most boring fitness activity - solo walking - ever invented.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-12 at 18:49.
chucker

2022-05-12, 18:44

Apple Watch Series 3 starts at $199, and maybe they’ll eventually get to the point where the SE starts at $179 or so. I think that’s their answer.

It’s a worse answer purely for music playback, but overall not a bad one.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-12, 22:55

That is kinda the point the article I read had. A Watch is about what the iPods cost. A little more and you can get cellular. Really though, the base Watch without cellular would still be great as an iPod for running. Get some wireless headphones and you are good to go. Tracking for your run and all!

I still think a discrete player would have made it... but Apple obviously didn't.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2022-05-13, 00:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Apple Watch Series 3 starts at $199, and maybe they’ll eventually get to the point where the SE starts at $179 or so.
For reference, the original iPod shuffle was $99 to $149 (in 2005 dollars) depending on capacity. The last iPod nano was $149. The later iPod shuffles were cheaper, but considering how much more useful a watch is than a music player with no screen, I think the price is actually pretty comparable.