User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Need help configuring Mail account (was "Safari email")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Need help configuring Mail account (was "Safari email")
JamesG

2005-01-20, 12:05

Hi guys,

I'm having troubles setting up a secondary email account in Safari. I've created the account through my ISP and they say everything seems to be working find on their end (although the tech guy was only familiar with outlook!). Anyway, I can send emails through this new account, but for some strange reason I cannot receive. Any ideas?

Thanks,
James
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-20, 12:07

Safari?

I trust you mean Mail, right?

That said, the options in Mail's preferences (the Accounts pane) are pretty standard. Check if you should be using POP or SMTP and that you have the incoming mail server address, login, and password correct.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-20, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
I'm having troubles setting up a secondary email account in Safari.

You mean Mail? Or do you mean you have a webmail account (like Hotmail, Yahoo, or Gmail) that you access through a browser (Safari)?

Off-Topic -----------------------------------

P.S. I am having EXTREME problems posting to the Forums. I am writing this at the bottom of this post because it might take 20mins or so for this and then another post to go through! WTF? Is anyone else having issues?

[edit] Eh, plus Brad beat me!

[edit 2] Nice pruning

[edit 3] Posting now works in Safari, but not OmniWeb!?!

bouncy bouncy

Last edited by SonOfSylvanus : 2005-01-20 at 12:21.
JamesG

2005-01-20, 12:44

ooops! Yeah I mean mail. I am accessing mail through my ISP directly to my desktop. I want all of my seperate mail accounts to be received in one place. One is for me and the other for my wife.

I believe I have entered everything correctly in the mail preferences, hence being able to send, but not receive to this new account I've created. My primary account works fine, it's just this new secondary account that I'm having issues with.

Thanks again,
James
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-01-20, 13:43

Slightly off topic, but you really ought to consider separate user accounts. Never mind this mumbo-jumbo of setting up your and your wife's email in the same program.
JamesG

2005-01-20, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Slightly off topic, but you really ought to consider separate user accounts. Never mind this mumbo-jumbo of setting up your and your wife's email in the same program.
Do you mean seperate user accounts in Mac mail or seperate accounts like yahoo or hotmail?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-20, 14:30

He means separate user accounts for the computer. Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Accounts. That way, you'd each have your own separate e-mail settings, address books, internet bookmarks, etc etc etc.

If you want to consolidate everything in one place, though, disregard that. I would suggest double-checking everything in the Mail accounts settings. POP vs IMAP, for example, is something that some people tend to overlook.

I'm also renaming the title of this thread to something more helpful.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
JamesG

2005-01-20, 16:24

Hey Brad,

Yeah, I'm trying to consolidate them both in the same place. I did check and re-check the mail preferences and it seems all systems are go. I created two seperate accounts in mail preferences one called personal and the other work. It's driving me to drink, cause I can send from this new address (work) but cannot receive.

James