Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

web hosting problem/situation

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
web hosting problem/situation
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-05-31, 22:39

Ok, here's the problem. My buddy, who's the other guitarist in my band, made a band webpage awhile back using Yahoo! Page Builder. His computer crashed on him and he lost everything and now he cannot access Page Builder so he cant edit the webpage. I built a new page using iWeb and I wanna know if there is anyway I can delete everything from the domain name so I can upload the new website from iWeb.

Adding onto that, how would I go about adding my new website onto the domain name once I get rid of the old website?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-05-31, 23:08

Do you have FTP or shell access to the webserver? If so, it'd just be a matter of overwriting the files with your new files.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-05-31, 23:23

I dunno how Id get FTP access. I know with page builder, you just clicked "upload" and it would update and upload the website with any changes you made.

Here is the PageBuilder website that I was talking about. I have 0 webbuilding/hosting/anything experience.

@yontsey
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-05-31, 23:43

I took a quick glance around the GeoCities pages... here is a reference to both a web-based file manager, as well as FTP right below it. So, it's available. I can't find out *how* to do it, but I think they'd probably have better documentation if you're logged in.

For what it's worth, if you need an FTP client, I've found Cyberduck to be simple, functional and useful.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-06-01, 10:36

Ok, so I got hooked up to the site via Cyberduck. I deleted the old website. Now when I try and upload the new site thats from iWeb, I get error/failed messages. From iWeb I went to File->Publish to Folder, then once it was a folder I created on my desktop, I opened it up, highlighted everything and drug it onto Cyberduck and it would do index and Site 1, but then when it got to Site 2, it would fail.

I tried doing each thing which the folder individually (index, site 1, site 2, ect), but it still failed on Site 2. Any suggestions?

@yontsey
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-06-01, 11:25

So I was wrong. I wont even load Site 1. It fails when it tries to upload the pictures and if I try and skip Site 1 and just load Site 2, it fails completely. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Could it be because there are spaces in some of the files?

@yontsey
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-06-01, 20:18

No help? Come on fellas.

Lowdown on the new situation. I figured out that I had to take out every space from the files that iWeb generate when I published them to a folder. I take out everyspace and then I drag and drop them into Cyberduck and they upload but then when I go to the website and click on the main picture that's linked to the main webpage, I get an error and it takes me to a blank error page instead of my regular iWeb band news section. Any ideas because it's really starting to drive me crazy

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-01, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
No help? Come on fellas.

Lowdown on the new situation. I figured out that I had to take out every space from the files that iWeb generate when I published them to a folder. I take out everyspace and then I drag and drop them into Cyberduck and they upload but then when I go to the website and click on the main picture that's linked to the main webpage, I get an error and it takes me to a blank error page instead of my regular iWeb band news section. Any ideas because it's really starting to drive me crazy
Did you remove the spaces using iWeb?

What does the site act like when viewing it on your local drive?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-06-01, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Did you remove the spaces using iWeb?

What does the site act like when viewing it on your local drive?
I dont know how to have it set to have no spaces. Some are just picture or song files too, others are css files or html. When it comes out of of iWeb and you can select to view it, it works fine, but like I said, in order to get to to upload to the domain, I have to take the spaces out and when I do that and then try and view it, the main page works but doesnt go to the others.

Keep in mind, this is the first time Ive ever used iWeb or even messed around with websites.

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-01, 21:00

In iWeb you tell it to publish to a folder. Navigate to that folder and open the index.html with your browser. This is the *real* folder you should be uploading to your web server. You shouldn't need to remove spaces either, I haven't removed them on mine. I don't know your hosts requirements though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-01, 21:20

More detail:
In iWeb after you build your site to your liking you'll need to publish the site. Since you aren't using .Mac, all you need to do is click on "File" in the menu and then on Publish to a folder. Chose your location desired. This will put a folder and an index.html file into the folder you specify.

Use your FTP program to upload the folder and index file to the root folder on your web server. Once the upload is complete you should be able to navigate to the site on the web. If you have been there before (like I know you have in this case) you'll likely need to refresh the browser to clear it's cached files.

Does that spell it out better for you? Did it work for you?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-06-01, 21:33

Quote:
More detail:
In iWeb after you build your site to your liking you'll need to publish the site. Since you aren't using .Mac, all you need to do is click on "File" in the menu and then on Publish to a folder. Chose your location desired. This will put a folder and an index.html file into the folder you specify.

Use your FTP program to upload the folder and index file to the root folder on your web server. Once the upload is complete you should be able to navigate to the site on the web. If you have been there before (like I know you have in this case) you'll likely need to refresh the browser to clear it's cached files.

Does that spell it out better for you? Did it work for you?
Yeah, I understand what your saying. I have it set to publish to a folder I created on the desktop and in that folder there are subfolders for each different site.

For example, I have the main site and when you click the middle linked picture, it takes you to the real site. Then I have a photo section that when you click on different links, it takes you to different sites too. All in all, I have 11 Sites I believe and the index.html file. It wont let me upload them and Cyberduck says transfer failed and lists every file with a space.

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-01, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Yeah, I understand what your saying. I have it set to publish to a folder I created on the desktop and in that folder there are subfolders for each different site.

For example, I have the main site and when you click the middle linked picture, it takes you to the real site. Then I hate a photo section that when you click on different links, it takes you to different sites too. All in all, I have 11 Sites I believe and the index.html file. It wont let me upload them and Cyberduck says transfer failed and lists every file with a space.
Your issue then is with the communication between Cyberduck and you host. You'll need to verify those settings. I really can't help you there since I have no clue about you host. I would search their help files to see what you need to set you FTP program to. Does you host offer a web based transfer setup? Maybe you can just upload using that?

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-06-01, 21:41

Quote:
Your issue then is with the communication between Cyberduck and you host. You'll need to verify those settings. I really can't help you there since I have no clue about you host. I would search their help files to see what you need to set you FTP program to. Does you host offer a web based transfer setup? Maybe you can just upload using that?
I was on the website earlier and they actually recommened either OSX FTP built in or Cyberduck. They gave the Server and told how to input the username and I followed all that and it connected right up.

But mind you, like I mentioned before, when I go through those folders and take out the spaces, they upload, but they dont work properly.

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-01, 21:44

Try uploading one file, then one folder, etc. to see if you can get anywhere. If you followed their directions then it makes little sense why it isn't working.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-06-01, 21:47

For example, it wont upload foler "Site 2" because it has a space in it. When I made it "Site_2", it would upload (after I also went through and took out all the spaces in the rest of the folder and added "_"), but would not work properly.

The first folder, "Site" loads fine because no files contain spaces, but when you take out the spaces in the "Site 2" folder and upload it, it wont go from the main page to the Site 2 page.

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-01, 21:51

Ok, then you'll need to edit these names in iWeb. You can edit them using the column on the left where your sites are listed. Then, make sure your files are named correctly in the information pane.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-01, 21:55

Yeah, it looks like changing all the names in the left column of the iWeb window will work for you. Make sure none of the names over there have spaces in them. Even the pages listed. This should eliminate that issue.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-06-01, 23:31

Quote:
Yeah, it looks like changing all the names in the left column of the iWeb window will work for you. Make sure none of the names over there have spaces in them. Even the pages listed. This should eliminate that issue.
Turtle, thank you so much. You saved me from going insane.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-02, 01:19

You're very welcome!