AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Google Chrome Frame

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Google Chrome Frame
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-09-25, 17:50

http://code.google.com/chrome/chromeframe/

Can someone explain what this is actually for?

If you want to run Chrome, run Chrome. If you aren't allowed to install Chrome by your IT department, they won't let you install the plug-in either. (Yes, it requires admin rights to install.)

So...umm...why?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-09-26, 04:20

There's probably a few users who can install a plug-in, but not a new browser. Not all IE 6 people are a case of "my IT department won't let me"; some are "I'm too stupid to update".
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2009-09-26, 11:01

I suppose google thinks that some people are simply used to IE's look and feel, and wouldn't consider going through the learning curve of using another piece of software.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-09-27, 03:19

Took me a while to figure this out but I think it's so that developers can prompt users to install it as a plugin, in the same way that they might be prompted to install Flash, Silverlight, etc. People are much more likely to install a plugin than a new browser. Then the developers will be able to show those users pages developed using HTML5, CSS 3 and any other technologies not properly supported by IE.

If Google push this through YouTube it could be massive.

The result being that developers (such as Google) can start using these new technologies to develop web applications like Google Docs, YouTube, Gmail, etc. and have even IE users be able to view them simply by installing a plugin.

EDIT: Here's a snippet from Google's announcement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
Today, we're releasing an early version of Google Chrome Frame, an open source plug-in that brings HTML5 and other open web technologies to Internet Explorer.

We're building Google Chrome Frame to help web developers deliver faster, richer applications like Google Wave. Recent JavaScript performance improvements and the emergence of HTML5 have enabled web applications to do things that could previously only be done by desktop software. One challenge developers face in using these new technologies is that they are not yet supported by Internet Explorer. Developers can't afford to ignore IE — most people use some version of IE — so they end up spending lots of time implementing work-arounds or limiting the functionality of their apps.

With Google Chrome Frame, developers can now take advantage of the latest open web technologies, even in Internet Explorer. From a faster Javascript engine, to support for current web technologies like HTML5's offline capabilities and <canvas>, to modern CSS/Layout handling, Google Chrome Frame enables these features within IE with no additional coding or testing for different browser versions.
http://blog.chromium.org/2009/09/int...ome-frame.html

Last edited by joveblue : 2009-09-27 at 04:50.
noleli2

2009-09-27, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
Took me a while to figure this out but I think it's so that developers can prompt users to install it as a plugin, in the same way that they might be prompted to install Flash, Silverlight, etc.
Ah, thank you! Now this makes a bit more sense.
Partial
Stallion

2009-09-27, 17:50

I have to use IE at work to not have to enter credentials for the proxy for every fricking internal website I use. I will def. install the GCF.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-27, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
I have to use IE at work to not have to enter credentials for the proxy for every fricking internal website I use. I will def. install the GCF.
Just remember that GCF will be useless for 99.99+% of the websites out there because it *only* loads when a Chrome-specific meta tag value is included on the web page.

This important detail seems to be missed by a lot of people.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Partial
Stallion

2009-09-27, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Just remember that GCF will be useless for 99.99+% of the websites out there because it *only* loads when a Chrome-specific meta tag value is included on the web page.

This important detail seems to be missed by a lot of people.
Hmm yeah I didn't know that, that is kind of dumb.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-09-28, 05:45

I believe you can force it to load, by typing the URL as gcf:http://etc. or something like that. There may also be options in the settings to turn it on by default, I'm not sure.

But yes, it's made for developers to be able to use advanced HTML5 features and so forth, not at users who want to run WebkKit under IE for general browsing (I imagine there's a few but not very many). By default, it is only activated if and when a specific webpage requests that a page be rendered with GFC via a meta-tag, the rest of the time your page will be displayed using IE's rendering engine.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-09-28, 08:06

I don't know, I've just been waiting for this to come out for months. Just would be so disappointed if Apple decided not to go with the top of the line option available. Hyped myself up about the whole thing for months since I crushed my last MacBook and I don't want to be stuck in the Windows world any longer than I must.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-10-13, 05:19

From the Google Wave Developer Blog

Quote:
When we extend our Google Wave preview next week, we will encourage users of Internet Explorer to install Google Chrome Frame, an open source plug-in that brings HTML5 and other open web technologies to Internet Explorer.

On first login to Google Wave, Internet Explorer 6, 7, and 8 users will see this message:

A few clicks later, the user will be running Google Wave in Internet Explorer, but it will be every bit as fast as in Google Chrome!

Google Wave depends on strong JS and DOM rendering performance to provide a desktop-like experience in the browser. HTML5's offline storage and web workers will enable us to add great features without having to compromise on performance. Unfortunately, Internet Explorer, still used by the majority of the Web's users, has not kept up with such fairly recent developments in Web technology. Compared with other browsers, the JavaScript performance is many times slower and HTML5 support is still far behind. Likewise, the many different versions of IE still in use -- each with its own set of CSS quirks and layout limitations -- further complicates building rich Web applications.

In the past, the Google Wave team has spent countless hours solely on improving the experience of running Google Wave in Internet Explorer. We could continue in this fashion, but using Google Chrome Frame instead lets us invest all that engineering time in more features for all our users, without leaving Internet Explorer users behind.

It is remarkable how quickly the browser landscape has changed since Lars and his brother Jens wrote the first prototype of Google Maps back in early 2004. Back then, Internet Explorer was their browser of choice. These are exciting times indeed to be developing for the Web!
http://googlewavedev.blogspot.com/20...-explorer.html

Looks like what I was saying is exactly right. I imagine Google might use this same approach for any complex new application they bring out, possibly including new versions of applications like Google Maps, Gmail, Google Docs and so on. I'm sure many other developers are also very interested in using this to bring out their own web applications. I think this could really take off