Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Fallout 3 exists
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Wrao
Yarp

2008-10-28, 21:37

And I am playing it.

/fan boy disbelief.

Seriously, so far, so creepy. Where the original two Fallout games made post-apocalyptic wasteland horror seem like a romping good time, Fallout 3 has been quite effective at making me realize that, despite my best impressions otherwise, after the bombs have fallen, I'd be peeing my pants and hiding under rubble sucking my thumb.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-10-28, 21:40

Bought it today. It's sitting in my PS3 right now. Waiting.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-10-28, 22:20

Thread hijack,

I'm still pissing my self and screaming like a little girl as I play "Dead Space."
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-10-28, 22:23

Looks like I'll be going shopping this weekend... LBP and Fallout3!

EDIT: And Dead Space.. So many games, so little time!!
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-10-28, 22:42

This game is wicked engrossing. I just sat down and before I knew it two and a half hours have gone by.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Is it possible to leave the Vault with the girl? I may have killed her father and she decided it best to stay in the Vault.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-10-29, 00:14

Looks pretty cool - I might have to get it over the holidays. It would kill my work to have a game that engrossing right now...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-10-29, 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
This game is wicked engrossing. I just sat down and before I knew it two and a half hours have gone by.

Is it possible to leave the Vault with the girl? I may have killed her father and she decided it best to stay in the Vault.

I don't know, but I didn't kill her father and she didn't leave with me. I think you're on your own.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-10-29, 01:10

Maybe it is because I am playing in a dark room with the volume up, but this game has had me jumping in my seat saying 'yearg!" numerous times. Usually when that happens I am dead in a few moments from a barrage of bullets, spotting enemies(before they spot you) can be very challenging.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-10-29, 01:28

Is it worth buying? My wife and I made a budget yadda yadda and I basically get 100 bucks a month on whatever. I've been buying a game a month or so and Dead Space was my one from last month. Gears of War 2 also comes out in November but I really think that game is WAY overrated. NEver played any of the Fallouts but have heard good things.

And All That Could Have Been
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-10-29, 01:48

It's a very good game! I'm having some trouble with a few parts and in general I'm sort of wandering around more than I am actually focusing on doing quests, but it's working out fine. It really has great environments and the combat is fun too. I still would have liked to see true turn-based combat. You can pause and issue combat orders which remove the need to aim manually, but those use action points that you have to let recharge over time. They also took out aimed groin shots .

The other thing it's missing is the real vastness of the wastes that you got in the older games. Yes, there is a pretty big game world that you run around in. But that's just it... you run around in it. You can walk the whole thing from end to end in real time if you want. In Fallouts 1 and 2, it kicked you to a map screen to travel between towns, which took days, and traveling involved lots of random encounters. Low-tech, of course, but it did a better job of conveying how large the wastes were. You could stop at any time in between towns in Fallouts 1 and 2 and just look around. Of course, the area would be completely empty and exactly the same as any other area with similar terrain, but I still think the new one doesn't do quite the same thing.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-10-29, 07:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento View Post
Is it worth buying? My wife and I made a budget yadda yadda and I basically get 100 bucks a month on whatever. I've been buying a game a month or so and Dead Space was my one from last month. Gears of War 2 also comes out in November but I really think that game is WAY overrated. NEver played any of the Fallouts but have heard good things.
Dude, check out this video, it may change your mind on GOW2's overratedness:

http://www.pwnordie.com/videos/343e6...war-2-xbox-360

(I was going to link to Gametrailers.com as they have this video in QT HD, but they seem to have broken their internet tube.)

I plan on asking for Dead Space & Fallout2 for Xmas. Those games look great as well. Fable II I'm on the fence as it sounds great, but there's so much real-life type stuff that could take the fun out of it for me.

Last edited by bassplayinMacFiend : 2008-10-29 at 08:27.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-10-29, 08:18

Quote:

No. She stays no matter what.

One thing that is kind of awesome about this game is the number of XP you get scales with the difficulty setting. I also like the gore when killing using the VATS. A little disappointed they don't have the gifted perk from the previous Fallout games, but overall, I can already tell this game is going to own my life for a while.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-10-29, 08:59

Gifted was a gigantic game changer. They have made up for its loss by providing you with the ability to add an extra SPECIAL point every time you level up (of course, you have to choose between that and another perk, but early on, there aren't a whole lot of really great perks).
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-29, 09:01

I'm so glad I don't own a console...
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-10-29, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Gifted was a gigantic game changer. They have made up for its loss by providing you with the ability to add an extra SPECIAL point every time you level up (of course, you have to choose between that and another perk, but early on, there aren't a whole lot of really great perks).
Good point, but I still miss it. I have been claiming the Intense Training perk thus far, though my first was the Black Widow perk--I figured since my character is female and conjecture that more enemies will be male than female. Also, there's the option to occasionally slut it up in dialogue.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-10-29, 19:09

I'm so torn. Good or evil? My karma is bouncing up and down like a yoyo. On the one hand, I feel good about being good, but on the other, I get a rush from picking that lock or hacking that computer. Oh, and

putting on that Megaton's sheriff's uniform after he was shot in the back by Burke was both morbid and exciting.

I felt dirty walking into his house and stealing all his food from his fridge with his orphan son asleep upstairs. I wish I hadn't done that.

Such an engrossing game.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-10-29, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I'm so torn. Good or evil? My karma is bouncing up and down like a yoyo. On the one hand, I feel good about being good, but on the other, I get a rush from picking that lock or hacking that computer. Oh, and...

Such an engrossing game.
I've gone pretty much good (which hints of bad) thus far and have already resigned myself to a second play through when I just go pure evil.

When I was at PAX I went to the developer demo of Fallout 3 and the played a hacked version (he had his character beefed up a bit with some pretty sweet built weapons) and decided to let the audience decide weather to blow up Megaton or not. Of course the crowd wanted it to blow, so he 'traveled' in the game and made it happen. It was crazy visually. He did say that choosing that route early on makes the game much more difficult down the road, but figured somewhere around 65% of people would choose it. I'll take care of it next time around.

Also, this game is so large, I spent a good hour walking from one city to the next and encountered numerous little settlements and caravans along the way. Very cool stuff.

Website | Twitter
Wrao
Yarp

2008-10-29, 20:42

I am mostly staying focused on the main quest. I hope that I can finish it relatively quickly and then give the game another, more open-ended go through. I hope that Bethesda included a wide variety of easter eggs to discover. Fallout 2 had so many excellent(and useful!) special encounters that really helped to give a new dimension to the gameplay.

One thing I have really appreciated from a gameplay perspective is how easy it is to find weaponry but how difficult it can be to find bullets. Typically raiders will only have a handful of bullets on their corpses. In addition to that, the whole Weapon-condition system seems to be very well executed(though I have yet to fully recognize the extent of its implications). However, the relatively limited supply of Ammunition that I have for my 5 primary guns makes fighting tougher enemies far more interesting and enjoyable. Same goes with health, for the most part. I have started to notice that the game actually does have what could be considered 'save-points', being, relatively undamaged, quiet, safe locations with beds that pop up from time to time, which is useful, but does kind of take away from the scraping to survive feel of the game.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-10-29, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
One thing I have really appreciated from a gameplay perspective is how easy it is to find weaponry but how difficult it can be to find bullets
That's one thing the developers highlighted at PAX. Ammo is extremely scarce in the game which makes well targeted shots using the VATS system all the more important. The developer said you may find it more beneficial to shoot legs and hands and leave the guy on the ground or finish them with a melee weapon.

Website | Twitter
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-10-29, 21:50

How does this compare to Oblivion ? I played it on my PC and don't expect to buy it for my PS3. I really loved it so I think Fallout 3 could be good for my console. What do you think ? Is this really the same genre but with a different setup ?

I wasn't intested in it before this thread but I've been looking a couples of videos and I think I'll put it on my buying list. Really look interesting.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-10-29, 23:02

Ars review of the game is pretty good. It got me more excited about it than they did about Fable. It doesn't give too much away about the plot, and also covers most of the issues being discussed here. It made me go online last night and try and order the game as I have not had time to get into town and find a copy yet.... Unfortunately none of the stores online with it in stock, or on pre-order ship to us out here. No matter it's been in Bangkok for a few days apparently, I am just a lazy ass! I just wanted to know the game was on it's way to me in some form or another, because I am so eager to play it, but also am enjoying the anticipation... i.e. I just want to know I own a copy, and don't mind how long I wait until it arrives, because when it does arrive I am probably just going to look at the box and anticipate playing it for a few more days first.... I am super excited about this game!

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/games...t-3-review.ars

With regards to Oblivion, there are parallels apparently. The communication system is just as bad, not a patch on Mass Effect, but it excels elsewhere. Graphics for the environments are supposed to be awesome, but character animations are a bit dated apparently. I can live with that.

Main story line is supposed to be about 25 hours or so... with off story line stuff making it up to about 100 hours... And you have to find Dogmeat apparently.. He is the best character in the game..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2008-10-29 at 23:15.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-10-29, 23:48

Fallout 3 rules my life right now. Haha, I never use to be an RPG guy either... and yeah, ammo can be scarce.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-10-30, 00:05

The Scrounger perk at Lvl 8 helps with the scarcity of ammo.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-10-30, 02:10

I just had my first legitimate gripe with the game. Up until just recently I have felt pretty weak in the wastelands, I have spent most of my time being very cautious and very tense about going into combat. But, I just defeated 6 heavily armored humans and 2 robots, they were shooting and hitting me with their assault rifles and lasers, my DR was only 19, but despite basically just standing still and being shot for 5 minutes, I still killed them all, partially due to clumsy AI, partially due to... magic? I have no idea. But it was kind of weak to feel so overpowered, what's worse(better) is that I stripped them all of their combat armors, used my repair skill to make my combat armor significantly more protective, so now I am even more well equipped than before. Basically, I could use a giant monster crushing my skull in really soon, or this game might start to lose its edge.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-10-30, 11:13

I died by way of exploding car-wreck. Bogus.

Are you a good or evil player? I'm mostly good right now.. but sometimes I can' resist the urge to be a kleptomaniac.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-10-30, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I died by way of exploding car-wreck. Bogus.

Are you a good or evil player? I'm mostly good right now.. but sometimes I can' resist the urge to be a kleptomaniac.
I having the same conflict.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-10-30, 13:15

Yesterday in the Wasteland this guy came up to be rigged with a bomb. He asked me to help him out and disarm it. I tried but my explosives ability wasn't high enough. Kind of sucks for that guy.

Website | Twitter
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-10-30, 21:26

Quote:
Yesterday in the Wasteland this guy came up to be rigged with a bomb. He asked me to help him out and disarm it. I tried but my explosives ability wasn't high enough. Kind of sucks for that guy.
NICE! I can't wait for that guy.

Mine keeps freezing on my PS3, its real bogus. I haven't done any of the "real" quest yet, just side quests so far. Lets keep the quest stuff in spoiler bubbles.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-10-31, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
NICE! I can't wait for that guy.

Mine keeps freezing on my PS3, its real bogus. I haven't done any of the "real" quest yet, just side quests so far. Lets keep the quest stuff in spoiler bubbles.
Have you turned off notifications?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-10-31, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Have you turned off notifications?
No, but I was just about to ask how to do that. The notifications I can live with, mine freezes when I open doors and transition from the loading screen. I wish it would just dump the disk onto a HHD so speed up these load times.

EDIT: found the notifications under system options, I was looking in account preferences for some reason. Thanks.