2016 Mac updates

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2016 Mac updates
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2016-10-27, 12:39

Figured I'd start a thread to break out what's actually been announced from the speculation thread we've had going for months.

MacBook Pro

-Comes in 13" and 15"
-Silver and space grey
-Thinnest and lightest yet
-Giant Force trackpad
-Touch Bar replaces the row of function keys and adjusts display and function based on the app you're in and what you're doing
-TouchID has in fact come to the Mac with the T1 chip (including SecureEnclave for secure purchasing)
-"Best Mac display ever" (brighter, higher contrast, more colors)
-All models have 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports in USB-C styling and any one of the 4 can be power, Thunderbolt, USB, or anything-over-TB (HDMI, DP, VGA, etc)
-no SD slot, yes headphone jack
-10 hour battery life for both

15" MBP specs
2.6GHz quad-core i7, Radeon Pro 450, 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD, 4 TB3 ports

13" MBP specs
2.9GHz dual-core, Intel Iris 550, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 4 TB3 ports

13" MBP specs(formerly the Air)

-not going away, going to be a "MBP Light"
-regular function keys
-2 TB3 ports
-Intel Graphics 540
-8GB memory
-256GB SSD

Pricing

MacBook Pro w/function keys: $1499
MacBook Pro 13" TouchBar: $1799
MacBook Pro 15": $2399

Desktops

-Were not covered

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder

Last edited by Capella : 2016-10-27 at 13:26. Reason: adding more specs as they come out
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-10-27, 12:45

I am actually quite liking what I see with the Touch Bar.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-10-27, 12:46

T1 answers one of my tech questions.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  

What's the processor/ram scene look like? My laptop is pretty old at this point, but I haven't seen anything that enticed me in the last few years.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Chinney
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
T1 answers one of my tech questions.
What was your question that it answered?
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2016-10-27, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
What's the processor/ram scene look like? My laptop is pretty old at this point, but I haven't seen anything that enticed me in the last few years.
I'll update with processor/ram/graphics/price as soon as they announce it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-10-27, 12:50

How they were going to replicate the security of TouchID on iOS devices, on the Mac. Had to be hardware, but not CPU embedded like the A* series.

Anyone else getting the feeling that TouchBar is a direct eventual replacement for window toolbars? Same set of basic functions, same customization UI, etc, etc.

So what's the UI look like if the toolbar drops to the TouchBar? A bit more iOS-esque? Content on screen, controls at fingertips?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-10-27, 12:53

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAP

13" only comes in dual core. 15" is quad core. I was going to downsize. Pusbuckets.
¡Damned!

2016-10-27, 13:14

God I hope that Touch Bar comes to the iMac's external keyboard. *drools*
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-10-27, 13:26

Prices are atrocious. The 15" MB Pro went UP $400.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2016-10-27, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Yeah, I was saying on twitter that I briefly regretted getting an Air in Sept (because I knew they were overdue for an update, but I needed a Mac that weekend because I was going on a medical adventure and I needed something to do). And then I saw the price. And now I'm happy I didn't. Maybe in 3 years.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-10-27, 13:32

But what exactly is the T1? An Ax chip? And what is it going to do? Surely it is not there just for TouchID. Is this the foot in the door for Ax on laptops? I had not anticipated that Apple might have a transitional period with both Intel and Ax, although that should have been an obvious option. We'll see how this plays out over the next few years.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2016-10-27, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
But what exactly is the T1? An Ax chip? And what is it going to do? Surely it is not there just for TouchID. Is this the foot in the door for Ax on laptops? I had not anticipated that Apple might have a transitional period with both Intel and Ax, although that should have been an obvious option. We'll see how this plays out over the next few years.
AFAIK, the T1 is only an encryption/security chip, so... pretty sure it's just there for Touch ID.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-10-27, 13:45

Well maybe my speculation is ahead of reality.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-10-27, 13:47

I had to drop the live stream due to work. Was this event only about the MBP? No MacBook or Air update? No Mini update?
Dr. Bobsky

2016-10-27, 13:51

Just the pros...

So the ram is fixed? 16 GB is probably fine, but ... Also: how easy will the ssd be to replace...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-10-27, 13:51

Nothing else. Just MBP.

For the first time in many, many years, I can honestly say I'm disappointed. TouchBar: neat, but c'mon. Prices: you're kidding.

MBA is not long for this world, if Schiller's final pitch regarding the TouchBar-less MBP 13" is any indication.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-10-27, 13:58

So, the 11" Air and 2012 13" MB Pro are now discontinued. The 13" Retina and 15" Retina base models will stay around at $1299 and $1999 respectively.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-10-27, 14:02

Devil's in the details. That 13" MBP w/out TouchBar (what the hell are they even going to call this frankenbeast?) has some weak sauce specs:

2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 or 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor

vs. 13" MBP w/ TouchBar:

2.9GHz or 3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 or 3.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz

vs. *previous* 13" MBP Retina:

2.7GHz or 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 or 3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz

The TouchBar-less version is distinctly power-hobbled. And yes, it's a step up from the MBA they compared it against:

1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 or 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz

But that's a what, year-plus old machine? And $500 less?

Marketing fuzziness. :P Seriously, look at this page and tell me it's not trending back to the Performa/Centris days: http://www.apple.com/mac/compare/

MacBook
MacBook Pro (13"/15")

That's really all you want to have in the portable space. Three 13" MacBook Pro models, all vastly different? Yikes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-10-27, 14:02

I'm concerned that the desktop line might not get much love. Not that it isn't already neglected, but this image from the MBP site kinda says it all:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2016-10-27, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm concerned that the desktop line might not get much love. Not that it isn't already neglected, but this image from the MBP site kinda says it all:
Yeah, I'm really bummed that they didn't do anything with desktops.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-10-27, 14:10

Quote:
TouchBar: neat, but c'mon. Prices: you're kidding.
At least you're paying in USD.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-10-27, 14:16

And did you notice the 5K monitor was just sort of a "oh yeah, we did this with LG" thing, and moved right past?

Look, our eldest just started college, and needs a laptop. He doesn't need a MBP TouchBar. He needs an updated MacBook / MBA. That's all I wanted out of this.

*deskflip*
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-10-27, 14:17

Quote:
And did you notice the 5K monitor was just sort of a "oh yeah, we did this with LG" thing, and moved right past?

Look, our eldest just started college, and needs a laptop. He doesn't need a MBP TouchBar. He needs an updated MacBook / MBA. That's all I wanted out of this.

*deskflip*
Hey, they updated it. The problem is they added $500. to the price.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2016-10-27, 14:19

Quote:
Anyone else getting the feeling that TouchBar is a direct eventual replacement for window toolbars? Same set of basic functions, same customization UI, etc, etc.
Yup.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2016-10-27, 14:22

Quote:
Devil's in the details. That 13" MBP w/out TouchBar (what the hell are they even going to call this frankenbeast?) has some weak sauce specs:

2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 or 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor

vs. 13" MBP w/ TouchBar:

2.9GHz or 3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 or 3.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz

vs. *previous* 13" MBP Retina:

2.7GHz or 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 or 3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz

The TouchBar-less version is distinctly power-hobbled.
Well, yes and no. Just like the MacBook Air, this is likely a 15 W chip, whereas the other one is likely 28 W.
chucker

2016-10-27, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
No, this new MBP is all-dGPU again. Which is kind of an odd change. There's still the old $1999 iGPU-only model, which is now terribly-priced because it's still apparently the outdated Haswell CPU. They'll hopefully fix this next revision.

But yeah, the 15-inch dGPU MBP was always this pricey.

(Sure, these new models, per se, are pricier. But they're a new design, so prices will eventually fall down again.)
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2016-10-27, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post

(Sure, these new models, per se, are pricier. But they're a new design, so prices will eventually fall down again.)
Isn't the issue that they're overpriced already, and will continue to be overpriced as time goes on?

(Apple is terrible about keeping old tech at new tech prices years after the fact)

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
chucker

2016-10-27, 14:37

Quote:
Isn't the issue that they're overpriced already, and will continue to be overpriced as time goes on?
I'm OK with the pricing; I just wish there were an option with the Iris Pro instead of the Radeon.

Quote:
(Apple is terrible about keeping old tech at new tech prices years after the fact)
Indeed.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-10-27, 14:38

I know Apple is literally run by the One-Percenters (and I don't want this to go political), but isn't this a really odd time to be raising prices?