AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Help--my mouse is going crazy

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help--my mouse is going crazy
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2006-03-29, 11:10

Ok, since I updated with the latest security patch my mouse has been acting funny (really, the software the interpets the mouse).
Randomly the mouse will appear to do a control-click, or go into scrolling mode. It happens in all applications and is really annoying. I have had to reset the mouse pointer 5 times so far in order to type this.

I am running a G5 DP 2.0 PM with the standard Apple white keyboard and mouse. I have repaired permissions, restarted, verified that Universal Access is turned off, cleaned the mouse, used a different mouse and keyboard, and am eyeing up a chicken to sacrafice.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this annoying issue?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-03-29, 11:31

try a diffrent mouse.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2006-03-29, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
try a diffrent mouse.
Dude, at least read everything before you post.

"I have repaired permissions, restarted, verified that Universal Access is turned off, cleaned the mouse, used a different mouse and keyboard, and am eyeing up a chicken to sacrafice."
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-03-29, 11:41

well then what was the other mouse you used?
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2006-03-29, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
well then what was the other mouse you used?
A known good, working Apple (black Pro) mouse from a Quicksilver (with its keyboard). I also just tried a hockey puck mouse and it is doing the same thing.

**EDIT

I just noticed that my iPod has the flashing folder showing. I wonder if the latest update killed it. Could this cause a problem like I'm having.
I've noticed that OS X does some pretty strange things when there is any sort of disk issue (remote, firewire or internal). This is one of the things that I really hate about OS X.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-03-29, 11:48

try updating the ipod. then unplug it. if t doesn't work reset it. if it still doesn't your going to have to restore it. the ipod shouldn't affect the mouse, but hey you never know.


torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-03-29, 11:58

Is the iPod USB also? Maybe your USB ports got screwed up some how? We have a known good USB mouse exhibiting the same problem, we have a previously ok iPod acting weird. Do either of these work ok on another computer?
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2006-03-29, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Is the iPod USB also? Maybe your USB ports got screwed up some how? We have a known good USB mouse exhibiting the same problem, we have a previously ok iPod acting weird. Do either of these work ok on another computer?
The iPod is a 1G 5GB firewire model. I have removed it from the system until I have a chance to reload the software on it.

The mouse works fine on other computers.

I have narrowed it down to the iPod though. If I hook up the iPod, things start acting weird. When I unhook it and reboot (only works if I reboot), things act "normal".

I going to chalk this one up to the same old crap that we have been dealing with since 10.0.
OS X just has some serious underlying issues with volumes. It's funny how a linux or bsd machine can still function normally with a dead or dying secondary HD in it (it will throw errors but still boot), while OS X does all sorts of stupid stuff (like not booting at all from the main HD, self corrupting the OS or just having weird issues like this one) in the same situation.

This is just another sign that OS X is not ready for the server market and another reason why I'm telling my boss to not buy xServes for us.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-29, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
I going to chalk this one up to the same old crap that we have been dealing with since 10.0.
I wouldn't. USB mice work fine with my computers when I have a FireWire iPod or other volumes mounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
..., self corrupting the OS or just having weird issues like this one) in the same situation.

This is just another sign that OS X is not ready for the server market and another reason why I'm telling my boss to not buy xServes for us.
Very well. Just know that you're basing this advice on your limited experience with a rare bug. It sounds like your machine has had some other problems that are very far from the norm.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2006-03-29, 13:51

Sorry Brad, but I have to disagree.
I have had similar experiences (at least with OS X suddenly corrupting itself, not booting or just acting funky) on 4 different computers (3 PM G4's and my PM G5) all running 10.4.
My G5 is a fresh install, well, the install is 2 months old.

I have also seen similar things happen with 3 computers at work.

It seems that these issues really started happening when 10.3 was introduced.

NOTE: in all tests below the primary (boot) HD was in working order, the secondary (non-boot) HD was the 'failing' HD.

I have been able to reproduce the weirdness (not always the same type of weirdness, but weirdness is still weirdness) when I install a failing HD in any of my PM's. Usually, the machine won't boot up correctly (goes to the gray screen) or boots and freezes; sometimes it boots fine and works just fine, sometimes it boots up but there are UI issues. As soon as I remove the failing HD the machine works fine, unless the OS self-corrupts. Occasionally, but very rarely, OS X will corrupt itself - requiring a reinstall under these conditions.

I have tried the same tests with both Linux (RH and Ubuntu) and BSD (freeBSD) and while there might be a delay in the boot process or some errors would come up, the OS would boot and would not corrupt itself. Of course, this was on a Dell and Compaq machine and not a PM.

This is what leads me to believe that there is something very wrong going on in the innards of OS X.

I have talked to Apple about this and its gotten me nowhere.
I have posted on the Apple boards, but the posts were almost immediately deleted. This is very telling to me.

I would like to think that this is only me and that I have some kind of OS curse about me, but I no longer think this is the case.

I'm not running anything exotic. Just the basic software that many of us run: BBEdit, Office, CS2, Firefox, Thunderbird, Studio MX and Toast.