AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

AppleNova Widget

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Widget
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-06-29, 08:17

The guys over at AppleTalk have just released an extra-cool AppleTalk widget, with new forum posts…

…I submit this is a cool idea. I don't know if you've got the time to implement it, but it's cool nonetheless.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-29, 10:04

Yeah, it looks good. I'm all for it ... even though I don't have 10.4 yet.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-29, 11:54

This idea was already submitted.

Of course, I don't personally have the time to implement this, but if you know someone that does, please let me know.
EmC

2005-06-29, 22:33

I have been really bored at work and I have been trying to do something like this, but it looks like our RSS feed is semi-borked. If I go here in Safari :

feed://www.applenova.com/index2.php?option=com_rss&no_html=1

Safari's RSS page loads and all is well. However when I paste this code into my widget and test the widget's html in Safari I get:

"no <rss> element" javascript error

I am using an example widget and trying to edit it. I have successfully pasted apple.com's main rss feed into and gotten it to display the feed. I have no experience using javascript or css, and I have very limited knowledge of html but I can usually follow basic things.

I am asking for assistance and feedback. I have attached three widgets.

1) The original widget that I am editing. Page for info on widget.

Widget 1

2) The AN widget with the link for our feed in it. It currently does not work.

Widget 2

3) The AN widget using an apple feed, just to see how it looks.
Widget 3

Once I figure out what the hell I am doing, I would like the widget to be larger with more of the content visible. If we ever get a feed with a list of the day's posts I would like to have the member name, most of the post, and time.

I have made a background for it, and would like some feedback on the looks for it.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽

Last edited by EmC : 2005-06-30 at 10:46.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-06-29, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmC
I have made a background for it, and would like some feedback on the looks for it.
I like it. In the final version, try to make it resizeable, though –*those of us on 12" iBooks and Powerbooks need the screen space. Alternatively, you could make it 'fold up' like the Dictionary and Yellow Pages widgets.

And also, you might try incorporating the speed holes in there somehow. I'm not sure how to do it without cluttering up the top bar, but it would be cool to see them there.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-06-30, 00:13

I can't help you with the problems, but I can tell you that it's very cool, and keep up the good work
EmC

2005-06-30, 11:12

Ok, I figured out why my scroll bar was disappearing and how to resize the content area. If I were to sit down and learn css I am sure I would love it.

So here is the updated widget based on the image in my previous post. I made it slightly smaller (height) and added a link to the new@applenova text to take you to the actual feed in safari. The widget still shows apple's news and when we get around to getting a proper feed I can update it no problem. So I will call this AN Widget version .00000001 Alpha

List of things we need to do:

1) Get a proper feed.
2) Make widget resizable and/or collapsable.
3) Update graphics and style to everyone's liking.
4) Be able to flip it over to get version information.

Any more suggestions.

AN Widget version .00000001 Alpha

Last edited by EmC : 2005-06-30 at 13:42. Reason: file name change
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-06-30, 12:29

I think the number one priority is definitely getting a proper feed. Once that is in place we will be better able to see what needs to be done.

Keep up the good work.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-07-02, 20:02

The problem appears to be that the widget can't find the RSS element (try loading it into Safari so that you get the Javascript console and the alerts actually work).

I'm guessing the reason why is that Mambo has wrapped the entire RSS feed, including its doctype declaration, in XHTML.

Here's an edited snippet to show you what I mean:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> <head> <title>AppleNova</title> <link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/appleinsider/css/template_css.css" type="text/css" /> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" /> </head> <body class="contentpane"> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?><!DOCTYPE rss PUBLIC "-//Netscape Communications//DTD RSS 0.91//EN" "http://my.netscape.com/publish/formats/rss-0.91.dtd"> <!-- Mambo Open Source 4.5 RSS Generator Version 2.07 (12/10/2003) - Robert Castley --> <!-- Copyright (C) 2000-2003 - AppleNova --> <rss version="0.91"> <channel> <title>AppleNova</title> <link>http://www.applenova.com</link> <description>com_rss</description> <language>en-us</language> <lastBuildDate>Sat, 2 Jul 2005 19:56:10 -0500</lastBuildDate> <image> <title>Powered by Mambo Open Source 4.5</title> <url>http://www.applenova.com/images/M_images/mos_rss.png</url> <link>http://www.applenova.com</link> <width>88</width> </image> <item><title>Say hello to iWork and iLife '05</title> <link>http://www.applenova.com/index.php?option=content&amp;task=view&amp;id=29</link> <description>iWork is Apple's long awaited upgrade to the major components in AppleWorks. The two applications ad...</description> </item> </channel> </rss> </body> </html>
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-07-03, 02:19

Looks good, so far. You should add those cutesy little half-cirlce things in the upper right. Would look cool!

And add "the house that jack built". Good tribute!
EmC

2005-07-04, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
The problem appears to be that the widget can't find the RSS element (try loading it into Safari so that you get the Javascript console and the alerts actually work).

I'm guessing the reason why is that Mambo has wrapped the entire RSS feed, including its doctype declaration, in XHTML.

Here's an edited snippet to show you what I mean:

snip...
This is where I am going to need help. If you could download the widget and look at the package contents. In the ExampleRss.js is where all the magic happens. It may be very easily edited, but I don't know where to begin.

Apparently there is also built in RSS for vBulletin 3.0.7 that the boards are run with. Maybe when all this outage crap is over Brad can let us know what type work is going to be involved in getting that up.