AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Mach 3 Blades/Shaving in general

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mach 3 Blades/Shaving in general
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-07-04, 17:14

Which Mach 3 Blades do you guys buy? I go to the store now and there's a bunch of the damn things, and they're all annoyingly expensive. I go through them pretty damn quick since I shave my face, arms, and legs with them for cycling. Do some people find different blades or even different razors entirely are working better on different parts of their body?

I think the Mach 3 does a great job on my arms, legs, and face, but I don't know what women are using. Furthermore, they have Mach 3 Power, Mach 3 Turbo, and Mach 3 blades. Is there a noticeable difference between these blades that makes it worth spending the extra money on any of them?

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-04, 17:18

I have the second one, just the face. But I hate shaving more than anything else in this world, so I only do it every 3-4 days.

I use that Gillette Edge gel too, the soothing kind (aloe?). When I DO shave, my face is pretty sensitive. I'd seriously consider taking a once-a-day pill that would stop facial hair growth, if someone would invent it.

I wonder if all that other stuff is marketing (the built-in gel, the onboard lotion, the four-racks of blades, etc.).

I should just get one of those Moe Howard straight razors and be a man about it.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-04, 17:54

I used a two blade thing for a while...not sure the brand or anything like that, before I switched over to the Mach 3. It's an awesome shave. Granted, I don't grow much facial hair, it gets really close so I don't have to shave often at all.

And being a swimmer and a cyclist, I do occasionally shave arms, legs, chest, back...even though I'm not a very hairy guy. It's awesome for pretty much everything. The blades are expensive, but that I'm willing to deal with especially cause I don't go through them very fast. But even if you do go through them, you really can't beat the shave. It's not all hype, those things really do a great job.

Edit: Just go with the regular Mach 3 blades. The turbo and power and whatever else is out there really isn't worth it. It's all the same if you use shaving cream.

Come waste your time with me

Last edited by DMBand0026 : 2004-07-04 at 17:56. Reason: forgot some crap
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-04, 18:56

I used to have a 2 blade sensor excel( I think that's what it was) I liked it, but then I got a Mach 3 Turbo, and I like that even more.

I really want to try the Mach 3 power, just for gimmicks sake, I figure, if it's not what it claims to be, then I just bought myself another mach 3 turbo that looks cooler
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-07-04, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I have the second one, just the face. But I hate shaving more than anything else in this world, so I only do it every 3-4 days.

I use that Gillette Edge gel too, the soothing kind (aloe?). When I DO shave, my face is pretty sensitive. I'd seriously consider taking a once-a-day pill that would stop facial hair growth, if someone would invent it.

I wonder if all that other stuff is marketing (the built-in gel, the onboard lotion, the four-racks of blades, etc.).

I should just get one of those Moe Howard straight razors and be a man about it.
i also only shave every 3 to 5 days...hate shaving...but my facial hair grows quite fast...so i am always growing a semi-beard, then shave, then back to semi-beard...confuses the people at work..."geld, are you growing a beard?"..."nope, just lazy"....i usually shave at work just to further confuse them...on "playful" days i will go from beard in the morning to goatee at lunch to clean shaven at the end of the day...once i shaved just half my face to see the reaction...i went 3 hours before anybody notice?? nothing like when i was young though...in college i worked part time at a bank...use to go to work with makeup on just one eye, or a twig shved through my pierced ear...i also use to love to use this one stamp at the bank...i would wear it on my cheek in light blue ink...it was a stamp we used to mark old money to be sent to the fed to be destroyed...it said, "mutilate"....

my wife would love me to shave everyday though...i get quite prickly by day one

at home i use a mach 3 and gillette edge gel...just like paul....
at work i use any disposable razor i can get my hands on and the nasty soap from the sink dispenser...nasty and rough and probably cancer causing for all i know...better than the time i used betadine and the awful cheap single blade razors they use to shave the genital area of patients before surgery...that was beyond painful

gotta start shaving more at home i guess...

paul, i would take a pill too...i constantly have that miami vice or george michael growth...too 80's for my own good

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-04, 19:25

Maybe someone's working on that pill, g.

Like I said, they've got one for every other damn physical/mental/emotional condition. Try making one that actually matters to most people, for once.

Of course, like the others, there would probably be a horrible list of side effects.

"Users of Razectal NS may experience side effects, including, but not limited to, rash, blurry vision, vomiting and diarrhea. Other symptoms, though rare, may include heartburn, stomach ulcers, glaucoma, uncontrolled flatulence accompanied by oily discharge, athlete's foot, loose stools, cramps, bloating, loss of vision, inability to sing on key, warts, the clap, brewer's droop, itchy watery eyes, speaking in tongues, rectal bleeding, sweaty palms, distended scrotum, fever blisters, constipation, headache, nausea, voting for the wrong party, inverted eyelids, a sudden sexual desire for Gabe Kaplan and anal blisters."

LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-07-04, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I really want to try the Mach 3 power, just for gimmicks sake, I figure, if it's not what it claims to be, then I just bought myself another mach 3 turbo that looks cooler
Actually, you can use the same Mach 3 body with all the blades. I've had a regular mach 3 for years, but on the damn subway the other day it was infested with these Mach 3 Power ads. So I went and bought those blades, but checked first to make sure they'd work with my old body. and they do

I actually looked into laser hair removal once, thinking that maybe it would be a long term hair removal process. But apparently if you're going to go the laser removal route you're guaranteeing yourself a future with no hair ever again. They usually follow it up with electrolysis for permanence. I just wanted something that I could get done like every six months

I shave my legs and arms in the shower, and damn, it takes a long time. I looked into waxing, but that's expensive, and you have to let the hair grow back out longer than I prefer before you get it done again.

I've been shaving my arms and legs for about ten years now. I shudder when i think about how much money I've spent on blades during that time span. And I swear if one of you does the math and posts the number you're banned

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-04, 22:26

I know I'll get shot down for this, but have you checked out some of the women's leg shaving bodies? The angle is totally different. I was curious about my wife's razor, thinking it was just a scam (oh look, it's *pink*), but it really is angled for easier application to the legs. Pretty slick, no pun intended. And, the men's blades will fit the women marketed bodies as well, just match brands. That way you can keep one body for face to ensure sharpness for a close shave, and another for more dense limb hair with a better-angled handle.

Just a thought.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-07-05, 00:20

I always shave with a two-razor women's razor (usually a Gilette sensor/excel), on my face, my legs (when I get around it it), and my arms (usually only before going out). I don't use shaving soap either... I just shave under the water in the shower. It works surprisingly well — I find it irritates my face much less than shaving with shaving soap/gel/whatever.

Women's razors are good because the angle of the blade seems to separate me from fewer parts of my face, and the blades are usually more widely spaced, so they don't clog as much when I get around to shaving every few days.

Waxing is excellent. I would thoroughly recommend it (provided you have a reasonable pain threshold — it's really not that bad). If you worried about regrowth then perhaps you should think about an Epilady (my partner uses one, and swears by it, provided that you use it regularly).
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-07-05, 00:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
Actually, you can use the same Mach 3 body with all the blades. I've had a regular mach 3 for years, but on the damn subway the other day it was infested with these Mach 3 Power ads. So I went and bought those blades, but checked first to make sure they'd work with my old body. and they do
actually the whole gimmick about thr 'power' is not really in the blades they have batteries in the razor body that are supposed to make your hair stand up so it shaves better. i think its a gimmick but hell it might work

oh heres gilletes mach3 power website http://www.gillettem3power.com/home_f.asp
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-07-05, 00:30

I shave every other day. . .

I use Mach 3 when I can afford the refills.. . .but I am fine with some cheap Bic blades.

I don't use shaving cream. . . it just bothers me.

I shave while in the shower.

Oh and I dislike cookie-dusters. . .

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2004-07-05, 00:58

I just tried growing a beard, so I stopped shaving for 2 weeks. It itched like hell, so today I whipped out my trusty Mach 3, and it was all gone. Smooth as a baby's bottom. The Mach 3 is a truly excellent shave

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-07-05, 08:10

I shave every 2-3 days and I use the Mach 3.
I wish that I never had to shave again, but the wife gets all freaky about beards.
I thought about laser removal but decided against it for smoething along the same lines as getting "snipped", you never know when you might want full use of it.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-07-05, 09:28

Mach 3 Turbo is better then the Gillette (?) Cuattro. 4 blades are not better. They have wires spaced every cm or so, and it stops you from getting a perfect shave. Also hair gets stuck in between the blades and I can't get it out. It was free, but I'm going to keep using the Mach 3.

As for shaving in general...every 3 days or so. I tend not to use shaving cream as long as I am in the shower.
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2004-07-05, 10:49

Mach 3 something or other. I don't really know or care, but it gets the job done.

But I do care about my shaving cream. If I use any shaving cream that has alcohol in it my skin gets all blotchy so I've started using

It's great. No need for aftershave.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-07-05, 12:08

That is the greatest shaving cream in the world, man.

I almost bought a Mach 3 the other day, and was looking at their new battery powered mother... but I can't make myself drop that kind of money. I use Gilette disposables with a tilting head, and I'm happy with them.

I shave every 2-3 days or so. That often is fine, but as soon as I go to every day my face revolts against me, and it's totally irritated.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-05, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I'd seriously consider taking a once-a-day pill that would stop facial hair growth, if someone would invent it.
I'd consider anything to avoid shaving, even surgery. It makes me cringe to think how many months of my life (in aggregate) I have wasted shaving. I don't think you can get laser hair removal on your face. But if you could, I would definitely do that.

1. Facial Hair:

I have used Gillette Sensor blades since they came out, after starting out with a Braun electric shaver as a teen. I upgraded my handle to a Sensor Excel because of the nice gray rubber grip. I've switched back and forth between plain Sensor and Sensor Excel for the past decade or so.

I'm shocked by how many people here use the outrageously expensive Mach 3 razors. I did try the Mach 3 blades for about 3 months when they came out. But I didn't like the Mach 3's soft spring and side-hinge (as opposed to the hinge in the back center of the blade) at all. The Mach 3 didn't give me enough control around my mouth, chin and temples. And I didn't like the high price of Mach 3 blades. So I went back to and am very happy with Sensor Excel.

I have dark brown hair and shave every day, except for some weekends when I'm too lazy. I don't like the prickle when I don't shave for more than 48 hours.

Edit: I swear by Nivea shaving gel, the one for sensitive skin. But I'll look into the Aveeno stuff mentioned above.

2. Body Hair:

As for the rest of my body, there's nothing like a professional wax job, if you can afford it. I wax my shoulders, neck and back when I have the cash, and shave when I don't. I have yet to get to my arms and legs.

Do any of you swimmers and bikers use epilatory creams? I understand they last twice as long as shaving.

Do any of you guys use Epilady or Silk-Epil or similar electric devices that pull out your hair? To me, pulling out your hair makes more sense than just cutting it off.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-07-05, 14:21

I don't know about the rest of the guys, but I want a pic of you shaving your temples.

Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-05, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Mach 3 Turbo is better then the Gillette (?) Cuattro. 4 blades are not better. They have wires spaced every cm or so, and it stops you from getting a perfect shave. Also hair gets stuck in between the blades and I can't get it out. It was free, but I'm going to keep using the Mach 3.
Gillette makes the Mach 3 series, Schick makes the Quattro
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-07-05, 16:32

Aveeno is the goodness! But I use Aveeno Positively Smooth Shave Gel.

It's got oatmeal in it!

I have a heavy beard - must shave everyday. It's easiest for me to shave in the shower with my beloved Aveeno and a Sensor Excel. My whiskers are too heavy for the Mach 3 (my beard just clogs up the blades immediately) and those 4-bladers are just a gimmick and useless.
staph
Microbial member

2004-07-05, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher
Do any of you swimmers and bikers use epilatory creams? I understand they last twice as long as shaving.
I have done, but they're messy, don't necessarily get everything, and don't last noticeably longer than any other method. They can also react pretty badly with sensitive skin types if you're not careful (here's a hint: DO NOT apply them if there is any sweat on you, or it's a hot day: it causes an extremely nasty chemical reaction in some cases).
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-07-07, 14:20

LoCash you cycle?! Like, your drug-addled body can take it?! Staph and Escher why do you shave all those other body parts? Do you swim/cycle too like LoCash and DMBand? Its funny to read so many ppl "admitting" to shaving all-over 'cos in the UK, men shaving their arms/legs/chest is a definite piss-take subject (as in "you so, love yourself" if you do... actually "poof" would probably be the most likely response, but I don't talk like that).

As for me and my shaving habits, I have a weird (though cheap) solution: I shave with a hair razor. Yes, really. I have a very expensive Philishave electric rotary shaver, but I have very sensitive skin and my beard doesn't grow quickly enough yet (ahh). This means that if I try to do a close shave, not only do I get a red/irritated skin, for the next 2-3 days, I get whiteheads above my upper lip as hair follicles get trapped in the pores 'cos they don't grow quickly or strongly enough to penetrate the skin. At least, that is my theory. Yeah, so I use my cordless hair razor (which I use to shave my head, when I can be arsed). It leaves me with a light stubble, but I kinda like it.

bouncy bouncy
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-07, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
I have done, but they're messy, don't necessarily get everything, and don't last noticeably longer than any other method.
Thanks, staph. Maybe I'll give epilatory creams a try, just so that I can talk from personal experience. I'll make sure not to be sweaty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
Staph and Escher why do you shave all those other body parts? * * * Its funny to read so many ppl "admitting" to shaving all-over 'cos in the UK, men shaving their arms/legs/chest is a definite piss-take subject (as in "you so, love yourself" if you do...).
SonOfSylvanus : I only remove hair on my back and shoulders, in addition to my face. I have yet to try arms, legs, or chest. I don't bike or swim fast enough for hair to make any difference. But having a smooth back and shoulders feels liberating. Most women also dislike hairy backs, while their opinions on hair in other parts vary. In addition, if you are in good physical shape, removing body hair makes any muscles look more defined. (Have you ever seen hairy six-pack abs?) Finally, I do so love myself.

As for the cultural differences between the UK and US, I would maintain that many stereotypical elements of gay culture (including paying more attention to dress, using beauty products, and removing hair on your body) have crossed over into the mainstream. Some people like to use the term "metrosexual" to describe men that look and behave like homosexuals, but are perfectly straight (i.e. like pussy). I dislike the term metrosexual itself, but think it accurately captures a new trend in society.

Quote:
As for me and my shaving habits, I have a weird (though cheap) solution: I shave with a hair razor.
If you don't work in a place where a clean shaven face is a must, that's a great solution. Seems to me that is what George Michael has been doing ever since his days in Wham. Looks great if you don't work in a white shirt and gray suit environment.

I've kept the hair on my head relatively long for at least ten years. Girls love the curls. But recently, I decided to go back to the very short hair of my high school days. I contemplated getting a "sheep shear," but then decided this afternoon to let my barber have a go. My newly short hair feels great and clean, but a bit naked. It will come in handy during DC's hot and humid summer, which is already on its way.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-07-07, 15:20

Norelco!
staph
Microbial member

2004-07-07, 22:17

Quote:
LoCash you cycle?! Like, your drug-addled body can take it?! Staph and Escher why do you shave all those other body parts? Do you swim/cycle too like LoCash and DMBand? Its funny to read so many ppl "admitting" to shaving all-over 'cos in the UK, men shaving their arms/legs/chest is a definite piss-take subject (as in "you so, love yourself" if you do... actually "poof" would probably be the most likely response, but I don't talk like that).
Well, I ride, but it's mostly because hairs poking through stockings are really gross.
sobelizzard

2004-07-08, 00:13

About a month back, after our university convocation, all graduates were given a free gift package (coupons, samples etc)...inside was a Schick Quattro razor. So, I gave it a shot, and sort of got into the habit of using it... seemed to shave pretty close and smoothly. but, after reading this thread, I decided to go back and give my old Mach3 Turbo another shot, with a brand new blade. Wow... how could I have turned my back on this?? The Mach3 is so much lighter than the Quattro, and has so much more control and flex to it. Much fewer strokes to get the job done, and much less hair jamming in between blades etc. That Quattro is a goner, long live Mach3 Turbo.

you must be insane
BurningWheel

2004-07-08, 21:56

i use Mach 3 turbo. i hate shaving. i used to be able to get away with doing it only a few times aweek but for some reason i have to do it every other day

anyone use the new 4 blade system, maybe if i used that i could shave less often like i used to

Ns.
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-07-08, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningWheel
i use Mach 3 turbo. i hate shaving. i used to be able to get away with doing it only a few times aweek but for some reason i have to do it every other day

anyone use the new 4 blade system, maybe if i used that i could shave less often like i used to
the quatttro haves good but hair gets caught in it way to much
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-07-08, 22:56

Quote:
LoCash you cycle?! Like, your drug-addled body can take it?!
I'm actually in excellent physical condition currently It's not like I'm doing lines of stuff every day
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-08, 23:05

Mach 3 (the original) with Gillette Gel followed by Nivea after shave balm

Teh winning combination that can't be beat!

Yes, it's perfectly normal for computer science majors to keep their shaving supplies by the computer.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.