AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Copy and Paste

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Copy and Paste
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-08-21, 19:43

So, given that we're back on "vanilla" Minecraft, does that mean the old Copy and Paste tools are available again to Brad?

If so, I wonder about the possibility of importing a "greatest hits" collection of buildings from old worlds.....

The onus would be on the requester to prepare a level site of the requisite size. Any structure that extended far underground would have to be excluded, of course.

Is that something we:
  • A: Could do?
  • B: Would want to do?

I would dearly love to see my Arts Centre again. I can even see the perfect spot for it in the new world.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-08-21, 19:50

SKYRANCH directly over Spawn, anyone??

Sounds neat. Brad's your only hope!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-08-22, 18:24

It could happen!

Cut, copy, paste, move, regenerate, etc. are all available and working today. We don't have any multi-world plugins installed, but it shouldn't be hard to either update the one I wrote ages ago or use one of the many existing plugins.

I like how Bryson pitched this idea in-game: each of us gets one structure, but everyone else gets to choose which one that is. For example, 709 doesn't get to choose which of his projects to bring over. Instead, the rest of us effectively vote to decide that, say, the UFO is the one structure we import to this world. Clever!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-08-22, 18:30

Do we have old versions of the maps, Turtle? I'm happy to compile a list of screenshotted "greatest hits" for each player.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2013-08-22, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Do we have old versions of the maps, Turtle? I'm happy to compile a list of screenshotted "greatest hits" for each player.
Ask and ye shall receive.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-08, 16:12

So, I had to jump through a few conversion hoops because the file format for our old worlds was so old, but I have copy-pasting working.

For completion sake, here are things copied from Bridgeport, Sedona, Loch Green, Cactuar, and the last pre-Tekkit/FTB world respectively. I'm having trouble finding any backups for TerraNova; I hope those aren't lost to the great bit bucket in the sky.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2013-09-08, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I'm having trouble finding any backups for TerraNova; I hope those aren't lost to the great bit bucket in the sky.
Which would just be fantastic considering that is where most of us stored our loot from all worlds prior to Cactuar.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-08, 17:25

Good news! Thanks to Time Machine, I found a backup of TerraNova. I'm not sure if it's the *last* backup because some of the subways are incomplete (like from town to 13-topia), but it appears to have most or all of the aboveground structures visible on the map.

And to prove out the copy/paste success:

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-08, 00:09

*bump*

709 and I have been a little busy tonight.

The offer to bring old stuff over still stands, people! Simplified, though. No strict requirements other than that you should first find a place for whatever you want, and that place shouldn't be in the way of other claims/projects/people.

¡Damned!

2013-12-09, 15:36

Nobody? Come Wednesday if no one else has piped up imma start suggesting things.

FWIW, The TN and Cactuar backups aren't the *final* world as we left it. I'm guessing a month or so back for each. No biggie, as most of the upper structures are intact as Brad mentioned above. But I did notice the Museum basement in Cactuar wasn't dug out yet, and 13topia still had a lot of the lower levels waiting to be dug out as well. Regardless, it's nice to have 13topia back in the world. Thanks again Brad.

Check the mcmap for some other goodies that have been moved over this past weekend. So, so fun.

[edit]: Brad - is it the NE corner you need to place from? Just wondering… I may measure a few (as well as I can from the maps) and get a rough idea where some would fit.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-09, 19:29

I'd like to have my first house on the beach, but don't have a spot picked out yet.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-12-09, 19:33

I think Mrs T would like to see the pagoda come over. I'm thinking maybe near the field in the upper plains.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-09, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Nobody? Come Wednesday if no one else has piped up imma start suggesting things.
"Start", he says, glossing over the five or so structures he's already responsible for getting moved over.

Quote:
[edit]: Brad - is it the NE corner you need to place from? Just wondering… I may measure a few (as well as I can from the maps) and get a rough idea where some would fit.
Any corner. Whichever is convenient.
¡Damned!

2013-12-09, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
"Start", he says, glossing over the five or so structures he's already responsible for getting moved over.

It's a start.

¡Damned!

2013-12-09, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I think Mrs T would like to see the pagoda come over. I'm thinking maybe near the field in the upper plains.
Nice. That was one on my list.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-09, 21:40

Jak suggested Brad's pirate ship, down from my old place in Bridgeport.
¡Damned!

2013-12-09, 22:14

Quote:
Is that S of your house somewhat? That's where I was thinking about. You can destroy that cobble hut behind you, btw. That's a dead structure.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-12-09, 22:15

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Is that S of your house somewhat? That's where I was thinking about.
I meant to specify near my farm. I'll make by barn smaller so it won't detract from the pagoda. If the front could face the water (north) that would be awesome.

Yes, South of the barn. In this region somewhere on the hill (I'll terraform as needed):

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2013-12-09 at 22:26.
¡Damned!

2013-12-09, 22:35

I PM'd Bryson (because he started the thread, after all) about his Arts Centre, and he's on board with this spot:

So, peninsula is his. There are a lot of other areas still open in the world, so I hope we get more requests still before the wipe.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-12-10, 02:27

Uh... Why not my atoll? It's quite a bit larger inside than out -- I'd like all of the layers to be taken if that's possible... Not sure where to put it, but ideally in a water area away from where the mob trap is being built (to prevent unnecessary running of the trap when no one needs to be collecting items)...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-10, 06:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'd like to have my first house on the beach, but don't have a spot picked out yet.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I PM'd Bryson (because he started the thread, after all) about his Arts Centre, and he's on board with this spot:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Uh... Why not my atoll? It's quite a bit larger inside than out -- I'd like all of the layers to be taken if that's possible... Not sure where to put it, but ideally in a water area away from where the mob trap is being built (to prevent unnecessary running of the trap when no one needs to be collecting items)...
All sound good to me!

I have a few other small items in mind from various people that might make a surprise appearance too.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-12-10, 21:15

Honestly, while I have things I'd like moved...I have no clue where we could put some of them, and others are due for rebuilds entirely due to new blocks appearing. Let me think on it a bit.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-12-11, 02:44

entire rebuilds or selective? Also: hollowing out an area is more work than placing blocks....

709 and I were chatting on the server, I'd also be up for moving the TN Postoffice and/or the Cactuar (unfinished) palace.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2013-12-11 at 13:12.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-12, 16:08

Quote:
I meant to specify near my farm. I'll make by barn smaller so it won't detract from the pagoda. If the front could face the water (north) that would be awesome.

Yes, South of the barn. In this region somewhere on the hill (I'll terraform as needed):
Done! I found a flat spot just south of the farm that appeared to be the right size. If you want to move it, just say so!

Quote:
Also done! She's moored off the coast near my house.

Quote:
Forgot to post this the other night, but also done! The original Grand found its way over, too, making for a new arts district on the map.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-12, 16:15

Quote:
Given any more thought to where you'd like the atoll? I can grab the whole thing, even if you need to go to bedrock. There's plenty of space in the area of the northern ocean that'll survive to the new world.

Quote:
Were you thinking this one in BP with Barfy and the PP logo?

I seem to remember the one in Loch Greene was pretty snazzy too.

Unfortunately, they're both on terrain with some pretty irregular shapes. So, you'll have to do some landscaping/terraforming once one is pasted over. If you decide which you want and where to put it, don't forget to post before tomorrow night!

billybobsky
BANNED

2013-12-12, 17:02

How about the center left, midway to the top of the screen shot there, Brad... Where all the water is and just far enough away from any surface features not to be seen easily...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-12, 17:26

BB, just past my little island? Fine by me.

Brad, my first one was just so involved in the landscape that I don't know how it would fit... and the 2nd one was neat too, but heck, leave 'em. I'll build anew!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-12, 21:18

Quote:
How about the center left, midway to the top of the screen shot there, Brad... Where all the water is and just far enough away from any surface features not to be seen easily...
Done!

Quote:
Brad, my first one was just so involved in the landscape that I don't know how it would fit... and the 2nd one was neat too, but heck, leave 'em. I'll build anew!
Works for me!
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-02-01, 15:29

Copy and paste request:

709 and I were discussing copying over the Skyranch (the ranch section itself starting at the flat bottom, not the mob trap and things below) and placing it centered directly north of my atoll over the new lands at an altitude of ~150 or so (I think 709 said 100, but I don't think it needs to be that low). My intention is to finally build the ranch itself, and I will probably convert all of the darkened area below into dark forest to keep some 'naturalistic' vibe going instead of flattening it which I am always wont to do...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-02-01, 17:50

I could do that! You're sure about the altitude, though? Would you be in a biome that blankets you in snow at that height?