Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Best album covers ever!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-04, 19:00

Okay, not "best"...

Enjoy, won't you?

A few of these had me laughing out loud (while cringing, of course).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-07-04, 20:08

Dear God some of those should have never been made!
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-07-04, 20:10

I've found a few more "great" album covers.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-04, 20:19

I dig the ABBA one there.

The two women are still hot, however (in that feathered, 70's way that I've come to appreciate as I get older).

But that IS a terrifying album cover. That one guy, sporting the tucked-into-his-boots look...
ironlung

2006-07-04, 21:00

hey pscates.. how did you end up at this website anyway?
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-07-04, 21:43

I've always like this one:

Always good for certain threads that I see on TotalFark.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-04, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlung
hey pscates.. how did you end up at this website anyway?
I saw it mentioned at a guitar forum where I sometimes visit.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-07-05, 00:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I saw it mentioned at a guitar forum where I sometimes visit.
A likely story!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-07-05, 11:31

I've seen that before, somewhere...

But I think the best album cover ever is...Pearl Jam's Yield.

Ahh, then you open the flap on the cover and the Yield sign is in the middle of the ocean...nice.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Chinney
Veteran Member

2006-07-07, 13:57

A *serious* favourite of mine has always been the cover of London Calling by the Clash. Captures the mood and the momen. I can't find an image that permits linking, but here is a link to a site that has the cover, which most or all of us know anyway.

http://www.popartuk.com/music/london...920-poster.asp

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-07-07, 14:05

God save me now... my eyes have been polluted by the Unholy Terrors of Tino the Molested, and Dave The Turntable Slave.
MagSafe

2006-07-07, 14:11

Gotta be the above , The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-07-07, 14:11

PS - That Yield album (aside from cool cover), gets damn high marks at Amazon. I wasn't even aware of it. I have Ten of course, and bits and pieces from Vs. and Vitology, which are OK. I've heard the new one is good, but I maybe I should take a look at Yield also. Thoughts?

BTW - All of your Album Covers are Belong to Pink Floyd.

...into the light of a dark black night.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-07-07, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
A *serious* favourite of mine has always been the cover of London Calling by the Clash. Captures the mood and the momen. I can't find an image that permits linking, but here is a link to a site that has the cover, which most or all of us know anyway.

http://www.popartuk.com/music/london...920-poster.asp
London Calling was an homage to this
ironlung

2006-07-07, 15:36

I agree with you messiatosh.. yield's cover is pretty damn good. Has any one seen the album cover for pulse (pink floyd) with the blinking light?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-07, 15:47

I've seen both those Elvis and Clash covers a gazillion times in my life and never put that together.

Probably just never saw them side-by-side...

Cool. The lettering and everything!
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-07-07, 15:51

Look at almost any album cover from Blue Note Records. I think they even put out a picture book collection of covers. Really, really nice-looking stuff.

My favorite -- EVER -- is Spinal Tap's album. In one black monolith it spoofed every rock album cover ever conceived.

And, the ones in the first link are terrible. Wow.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-07-07, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlung
I agree with you messiatosh.. yield's cover is pretty damn good. Has any one seen the album cover for pulse (pink floyd) with the blinking light?

My ex bought me a copy of that one when it came out. The little battery crapped out pretty quick but it was a neat gimmick. Cover art was cool enough that it didn't need it though. Always been a fan of Floyd's inside covers too. The inside cover for Division Bell was very cool.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-07, 19:17

"Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd" comes (or came, at some point in time) with a book of art by the guy who does all their album art (pity I can't remember his name).

It's nice to see people like that get recognition. I've done art direction for a few local bands, and it's something I'd persue in the future if there weren't a million things I'd rather do first (I don't mean that in a bad way).

It's kinda surprising, but I would love to direct music videos. I love building a story off of a song, and tying visuals to music. Music plays a big part in my scripts - two of my scipts are named after songs, one band's songs are featured in each of my scripts, and two of my scripts are musicals - one actually based off of an album. People always joke about Hollywood hiring lousy directors whose only prior experience is directing music videos, but I would love to get my start that way. Heck - they're the only kind of short films that many people watch.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-07-07, 21:33

There was actually like a 200 page hard cover book of Pink Floyd album art (artists concept drawings, etc) at Amazon. I had it carted for the longest time then it went out of print. Pissed me off.

[Ah, new edition out... still hard to find... Amazon.ca style!

Last edited by Moogs : 2006-07-07 at 21:45.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-07-08, 01:03

I am always mesmerized by Nirvana's In Utero. Nevermind was just...I understand the concept...but really, come on.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
wecallitfall

2006-07-08, 03:47

for me....

EDIT:i just noticed this must be the American version because the UK version had the date "AUGUST 21 THURSDAY" on the calendar thing, which was the day it was released - which coincidentally was an odd day to release an album as they're normally released on Mondays to get the most run-up to get the #1 spot, but Be Here Now still managed to get #1 despite being released on a Thursday
SKMDC

2006-07-08, 07:09

The company that did all the Floyd covers is called Hipgnosis, the 3 guys names are Aubry Powell, Peter Christopherson & Storm Thorgerson.
Not only did they do all the Floyds, but all the 10cc, UFO, Al Stewart covers. As well as the first Yes album without a Roger Dean cover (going for the one) McCartney's Venus & Mars & Wings over America albums. Led Zeppelin's Prescence.

I have a Book called "Walk Away Rene" which seems to be out of print but can be had here, rather inexpensively, and if you're into graphic design it's a bargain.
They tell many of the stories about the covers, (most famously, How the pig on the Animals cover got away) and since most of the covers aren't faked, details about how they did them.

As to the Elvis/Clash homage, there are dozens of other instances, I have a series of books all called Album Cover Art vol.1, 2, 3 etc. and they put many together that like 'scates you've seen individually but when put together blows your mind.

Blue Note's owner was a photographer and personally did all the covers in the 50's and 60's. I have a couple of his books as well (I have a cover art fetish) and in one they have a few pages of homages of pop/rock groups who've paid tribute to their cover art as well. The Blue Note books are still in print.

The CD pretty much killed album cover art, and I suppose the ease of digital downloads buries it even further, so it looks to be the relic of a time gone by. Pity, that.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Chinney
Veteran Member

2006-07-08, 21:43

Thanks SKMDC for your comments on the links between the cover art. Fascinating.

On with the covers...although not in the spirit of 'Scates original post...a couple of Roxy Music covers I've always liked:

Country Life:

and Viva!

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
SKMDC

2006-07-08, 22:01

This Roxy cover was Bryan Ferry's girlfriend at the time, later to be Mrs. Jagger, Jerry Hall.

Country Life (the one with the two girls, also my favorite Roxy cover and album) at the time of it's release was quite scandalous and came wrapped in dark green cellophane.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-07-08, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
Country Life (the one with the two girls, also my favorite Roxy cover and album) at the time of it's release was quite scandalous and came wrapped in dark green cellophane.
Ironically, the image of the cover was plastered onto the sleeve of a number of OTHER records as a "here's our label's catalog" kind of thing. So as a 6 year old, I managed to see my first traces of female pubic hair when I took out a new vinyl copy of... actually, I can't recall the record, but it was vaguely kid-oriented.

I was stunned, amazed, and strangely compelled.

The rest of the good news is that the album itself is fantastic.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-07-09, 09:52

Dirty little cover urchins. They all need a spanking, that's what I think.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-07-09, 11:14

Pink Floyd always wins.

¡Damned!

2006-07-09, 19:39

Feh. Besides being one of the albums everyone should have in their top albums of all time collection...Chocolate and Cheese has a front & back cover that rock:

And yes, the music is just as good.

So it goes.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-07-09, 20:11

Ween rocks.

Chocolate & Cheese is great, though I tend to favor the later stuff even more - The Mollusk, White Pepper (a Beatles reference if I ever heard one), and Quebec. Actually, there are plenty of gems on Shinola, Vol. 1, too.