Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Included iPod dock

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Included iPod dock
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2005-12-07, 15:31

Does anyone know how that dock that comes with the new iPods works? I've tried plenty of combinations, and it still doesn't work.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-07, 15:49

The new iPods come with a dock? Not according to Apple.com...

What exactly are you trying to do?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-12-07, 15:57

Are you refering to the included dock *adapter*? This is the only "dock" related accessory with the new iPods. I bet you're trying to use it in a Apple dock, right? It doesn't fit in those. It's supposed to be for the "universal" dock that 3rd parties will start developing. Playlistmag's review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playlistmag
The mysterious Dock Adapter
Included with the iPod nano is a mysterious piece of plastic called an “iPod Dock Adapter,” which looks very much like the dock cradle adapters included with some iPod accessories; for example, such adapters let the Bose SoundDock fit different-sized iPods. However, the adapter included with the iPod nano doesn’t fit any existing accessories.

Apple’s iPod nano Dock Adapter
So what’s this adapter for? It appears that Apple has told vendors—at least those who are part of the Made for iPod program, according to this Knowledge Base document—that instead of designing their own dock cradles and adapters, future products should include a “universal” dock cradle that accepts Apple’s dock adapters. Each new iPod model will include an adapter that lets that iPod work with any “official” iPod accessory. This is a great idea that benefits both consumers and third-party vendors: Whenever a new iPod is released, vendors don’t have to rush to fabricate new dock cradle adapters so that their products are compatible with the new iPods, and customers don’t have to wait for vendors to create such adapters to be able to use their new iPods with their existing accessories.

In other words, right now the included Dock Adapter isn’t very useful—as I mentioned above, current accessories can’t take advantage of it—but as more vendors adopt Apple’s “universal” dock cradle, the adapter means the iPod nano will work with many more accessories. It also means that future iPod models will work with those accessories immediately upon release.
Does that answer your question?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Mikester

2005-12-08, 04:13

I believe that as well as the third party products that torifile mentions above, the dock adapter also fits in the Universal iPod Dock available from Apple (which also comes with the adapters). Unfortunately, it means buying a new dock from Apple, not using the dock you may already happen to have.

"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further" - The Great Gatsby
Reid

2005-12-08, 17:34

Yeah, those little plastic thingies fit in the new Apple Universal iPod Dock, with the remote control sensor on the front. They should also fit any future 3rd party iPod accessories with the "Made for iPod" logo on them.