User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Level of audio out in iMac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Level of audio out in iMac
ecs

2005-12-08, 07:36

This iMac (bought in June) was my first Mac, so I don't know if this is normal in all Apple computers:

The level of the audio-out jack is noticeably lower than the one of others computers I have (PCs with soundblaster, and SGIs). I usually set the volume to "4 squares below the maximum" (I'm talking about the icon you can see in the screen when pressing the keyboard volume keys).

All my computers are connected into an audio switch-box, which is then connected to my audio system. Cables are somewhat long, but are of the same length for all the computers, so the iMac is not in a worse position.

I'd say the volume difference is about 30% to 50% less than the other computers (considering that I set the volume to the maximum in all of them).

The VLC player is the only player that lets me set the same volume level as on the other computers, because it lets you play a lot louder (without losing quality) than Quicktime, iTunes, Finale, Sibelius, etc...

Any suggestions?
nassau

2005-12-08, 07:52

my ibook is very low too...
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2005-12-08, 08:30

I can't say I suffer from this problem and I also use an iBook. But isn't it just a matter of turning up on the amplifier? When I turn up to 10, my neighbour will start complaining.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-12-08, 16:15

Headphone/line-level output via a 1/8" jack can be a bit flakey. It isn't uncommon for components in the output circuit to get fried or operate out of spec. If your audio output is quiet/muffled/fuzzy, it is almost certainly a hardware issue. Normally, the only solution is to replace the hardware.

To help diagnos this, you might try using the toslink (optical) output. Is that the proper volume?