AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone email/data questions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone email/data questions
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-09-07, 19:59

As mentioned in another recent post ("more random iPhone feedback"), I've been in Mexico for work for the last two weeks. I've been avoiding using EDGE as much as possible since AT&T's foreign data roaming charges can add up fast.

That said, I'm unclear re: the under-the-hood aspects of Mail on iPhone. When I click into Mail and it checks for new messages, it appears only the headers and/or a part of each message are actually downloaded, with the body of the message -- particularly if an HTML message -- being downloaded only if the particular email is read (??). Does anyone know if this is true?

If I check my email and 10 email headers are downloaded at 2-3 kb each, that's not too bad/costly, especially if I'm trying to get something done. But I can't really tell if Mail is downloading the full message before they even pop up in my Inbox or if it's only downloading the headers and waiting for me to select the one(s) I want to read.

Thanks very much.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-09-11, 16:33

Have I stumped the esteemed crowd here with the above questions?

Thanks for any feedback.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-09-11, 16:46

When you're on EDGE, you should notice the delay if it only downloads the message when you click/tap it. If it's instant or close to instant, it has downloaded the entire message.