User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*Sigh*
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-09-21, 21:59

So, my Macbook Pro suffers from the Black Flash problem. It's not terrible, just kind of irritating and it started when I'd had the thing 13 months so I couldn't claim it on the warranty. (Yes, no Applecare. And good thing too, as I had dropped the Macbook on the second day I had it, chipping the case slightly and certainly invalidating any Applecare that I might have had.)

Anyway; I thought to myself: "No problem, I still have the 'High Performance' graphics card if it gets worse." So yesterday, I tried that. Oh dear. The High Performance card actually makes the whole machine run slow. Beachball city. No idea why that would be the case, but there it is.

*sigh*

I might try taking it to the Apple store, but I already know the answer: the dreaded "Logic Board Replacement" aka "$1000 please!"
I'll skip and buy an iPad, I think. We have another machine. It also junks my resale value on this machine.

I dunno, no real question as such, just a reminder to you all (and me) not to buy a Rev. A machine. I forgot that rule back when I got this.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-09-21, 22:28

Well that's not good.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-09-21, 23:05

Did you pay for it with a credit card? Some cards offer an extended year of warranty. I know my Amex and Visa cards both do. I've never had to use it so I don't know how it works. Couldn't hurt to try, right?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-09-22, 08:09

As I have posted on these forums before, it is still worthwhile contacting Apple by phone. For things such as this - known general defect - they can have an additional warranty, Applecare or no. They put in a new logic board on my iMac G5 for free even though it was outside the warranty period. It does not hurt to ask.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-09-22, 09:27

He's right. I got a brand new graphics card in my iMac in April, at no cost (even though I was 18 months past my purchase date and had no AppleCare extension plan).

I called Apple, simply to find out if that graphics card had any known issues (so I could decide if I wanted to pay for another, out of pocket, or cut my losses and fork over for a current-generation 21.5" refurb). Anyway, after explaining my situation to a couple of phone support people (making them aware, all the while, I wasn't covered and I was simply trying to find out some technical info to help make a purchasing decision), I wound up talking to someone fairly high up the support/service chain, who, upon hearing my troubles (and that a previous repair at a local authorized Apple service center had not fixed my problem) immediately deemed this an "exception" and basically called the local place himself and said "fix this guy's iMac, whatever it takes, on us...now!"

I couldn't believe it. It all began with an innocent, inquisitive phone call (where I never fished for any "gimme" or hand-out, mind you...just some basic info about the reliability/performance of a particular graphics card in a particular model of iMac).

They've obviously got the authority to make exceptions and perform out-of-warranty repairs and/or replacements, as situations demand it (or if you talk to the right people, in the right way). I'm walking proof. My iMac has been perfect since then.

Definitely worth a simple phone call. That's all I did (and I'm glad my Mom and another friend both pushed me to do so...I credit them because I assumed, not having AppleCare, all Apple would tell me is "sorry...but we do have some newer models available for purchase."
Kamanchi Slide

2010-09-26, 12:09

If you've only had it 13 months then you shouldn't have a problem getting it sorted. I had a work done on my macbook after 15 months at the Apple store.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-09-26, 16:35

Three years, here. PowerBook G4 had a motherboard failure at about month 39. I had the three year AppleCare on it, but had never used it for anything.

They covered it.

Like pscates, I had called in just to find out how much it would be... I was stunned when they said they'd do it, unrequested.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-09-26, 22:57

Sorry to hear your troubles Bryson. But I can echo what others have said. Particularly when the issue is GPU related. Apple are quite sensitive about that, except for the pesky X1600's in MBPs.

I think even in Spain and other parts of Europe GPU problems are now specifically covered for 3 years. So if you play on that angle (if there are any questions) you may be pleasantly surprised.

And, just a word on the Rev. A thing. I have always found Rev. A gear from Apple to be the most reliable. I think Paul has also found the same. Of all my Apple gear over the last two decades I have *never* had a failure on "Rev. A", but can list problems with many other models of the non-Rev. A variety!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2010-09-27, 05:11

I vote take it in store. The worst thing they can say is no, right?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-09-27, 11:19

I think you should call them, my experiences have historically been more positive over the phone.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-03-07, 01:25

Wait, what?

Holy shit.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-03-07, 06:21

Yes indeed. But did it work?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-07, 06:42

Hey, it only took 18 months!
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-03-07, 07:00

At my age that's a frigging lifetime!!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-03-07, 12:40

It worked!
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-03-07, 13:35

Brilliant news.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-03-07, 13:47

Bizarre. But I'm not complaining!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-03-07, 13:57

Yea, I just got this update last night as well!

Of course, now Main Stage doesn't work.

[Edit]
Was running an older version somehow. MainStage does work.

Last edited by bassplayinMacFiend : 2012-03-07 at 18:30. Reason: MainStage does work! :)
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-03-07, 16:18

I updated the firmware too, but never experienced the flickering problem. I love this 2008 MBP. Still gotta get me 8GB of RAM though.

How's Main Stage bpMF? (when it worked, that is)
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-03-07, 18:33

It works now, was running an older version by mistake.

I totally dig MainStage but I know what I do barely scratches the surface of this program. I have an Axiom 25 USB MIDI controller and mapping sounds/effects to the hardware is drag and drop simple. I'm only doing solo stuff, haven't progressed to backing tracks or anything yet.