Page 4 of 18 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-06-07, 17:39

The "fuck around and find out" clause.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-07, 17:58

I suspect there is some funky wriggle room in the contract that Musk is relying on. I'm not privy to any of that, but that's what the lawyers are for.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-06-07, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I suspect there is some funky wriggle room in the contract that Musk is relying on. I'm not privy to any of that, but that's what the lawyers are for.
The agreement is public. He waived due diligence and included none of the standard outs an M&A deal usually includes.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-06-16, 14:46

What the fuck did I just watch.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/06...witter-meeting

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-06-16, 20:19

I came here to ask how the town hall went today. I guess I got my answer!!!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-17, 09:09

Dude. Someone (among many) getting called out here. This one in particular stood out to me though:

Personally I don't care about views of others, they can vote and have their say like the rest of us. However, I was shocked to find these images on another site and realized I knew the target.

So much hate across the board about this deal. It is wild. I don't even get why it is so polarized. It is a social media platform where people hawk their wares and talk about their latest bowel movements.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-06-17, 10:43

I just love that they think I'm getting fired for that. Bunch of losers.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-08, 17:46

...and 709 nailed it!

Musk is backing out of the deal.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-08, 17:54

Let the litigation begin.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-07-08, 18:40

Wheee!!!

Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-07-08, 19:40

I avoid it, but if I was allowed to hawk my latest bowel movements for profit…. Counts empty mason jars in cellar… hmmm…
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-07-08, 20:28

Elon has stepped in it. Mightily.

Just a full jump straight into a cowpie.
¡Damned!

2022-07-08, 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Easiest prediction ever. lol.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-11, 08:55

Muck laughs at Twitter legal action with memes... on Twitter.

This one was accompanied with "Chuckmate"

It is like he wanted this the whole time or something.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-07-11, 09:03

Twitter should block the fool already.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-11, 09:05

Musk being banned was apparently a hoax that was pushed around recently as well.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-07-11, 09:14

Yes… there was an account eIonmusk (upper-case i instead of lower-case L).

A journalist apparently fell for it, wrote a story (now a 404 because Independent.ie apparently doesn't have journalistic integrity), and others copied without checking.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-11, 09:18

Found where I saw it scrolling through my RSS feeds. Gizmodo did an article about the hoax.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-07-11, 21:39

I saw a hard right alcoholic acquaintance share the first of those two memes, with a flurry of her titterpated friends in rapid agreement.

I'm staying out of this shit. I wish Musk would too. What good does this do the world? Twitter is good for rapid news and partisan bickering. What points need to be made?

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-07-11, 22:21

Quote:
It is like he wanted this the whole time or something.
He’ll end up having to pay a $10M or whatever penalty on reneging on the contract, and the sad part is he still won’t care.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-12, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I saw a hard right alcoholic acquaintance share the first of those two memes, with a flurry of her titterpated friends in rapid agreement.

I'm staying out of this shit. I wish Musk would too. What good does this do the world? Twitter is good for rapid news and partisan bickering. What points need to be made?

The "right" who love Twitter don't see it as bipartisan but heavily censored with the favor to liberals. That can't really be contested. The liberal management of Twitter is quick to ban things that are hard right where Antifa runs free. There isn't really free speech on that platform. Musk gave the promise that he would open a more real even free speech where the right could speak as freely as the left.

I'm not in this and personally don't care. While it is one account I still have in the social media world, it isn't one I use or even log into. I still only have the account for the AN member list I created long ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
He’ll end up having to pay a $10M or whatever penalty on reneging on the contract, and the sad part is he still won’t care.
For him that is nothing. That is like you going to a coffee shop and buying a large coffee to his financial picture.

¡Damned!

2022-07-12, 09:47

Quote:
The "right" who love Twitter don't see it as bipartisan but heavily censored with the favor to liberals. That can't really be contested. The liberal management of Twitter is quick to ban things that are hard right where Antifa runs free.
lol

BBC: Twitter's algorithm favours right-leaning politics, research finds.
The Hill: Musk says Twitter is biased against conservatives — facts say otherwise

Techdirt, in their article about that second study, lays it out:

Quote:
In other words, stripped of culture war buzzwords, the vast majority of people want social media websites to intervene to slow the spread of misinformation (contrary to what you might hear out there). Second, the evidence pretty strongly shows that spreading misinformation is the leading indicator of why you might get banned by a social media platform.

So, even if more Republicans than Democrats end up getting banned, the evidence again suggests that it’s not anti-conservative bias at work, the issue is just that Republicans are significantly more likely to spread bullshit. If they stopped doing that, they wouldn’t face the same moderation pressures.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-12, 09:49

You win the internet. You are still the man.
chucker

2022-07-12, 09:59

Quote:
For him that is nothing. That is like you going to a coffee shop and buying a large coffee to his financial picture.
Sure, but let's not encourage him.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-12, 10:01

If all he really wanted to do was make public the "bot/spam problem" on the platform then he might just succeed. If he really does want to own it as a pet project then this might just be his way to force the hand of Twitter.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-07-12, 10:01

Musk is full of it in every possible way.
¡Damned!

2022-07-12, 10:28

Quote:
You are still the man.
¡Damned!

2022-07-12, 16:38

NYT: Twitter Sues Musk After He Tries Backing Out of $44 Billion Deal

Quote:
Twitter sued Elon Musk on Tuesday to force the billionaire to complete his $44 billion acquisition of the company, setting the stage for a prolonged legal battle over the fate of the social media service.

Mr. Musk agreed in April to buy Twitter but declared last week that he intended to walk away from the deal. To push Mr. Musk to abide by the acquisition agreement, Twitter sued him in Chancery Court in Delaware. The court will determine whether he remains on the hook for the purchase or whether Twitter violated its obligation to provide Mr. Musk with data he requested, entitling him to walk away.

“Musk refuses to honor his obligations to Twitter and its stockholders because the deal he signed no longer serves his personal interests,” the company said in the suit. “Musk apparently believes that he — unlike every other party subject to Delaware contract law — is free to change his mind, trash the company, disrupt its operations, destroy stockholder value, and walk away.”
Looks like they're going for the whole enchilada.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-12, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Looks like they're going for the whole enchilada.
They may not get it. It all depends on how the courts interpret breech of contract, and that could literally take years!

That said, did Twitter fail (or refuse) to provide the documents as agreed? If so, then they are in breech. However, If they provided accurate documents, then Musk is in breech.

For some reason, I think there is a snake in the grass. Question is, who put it there? Do Twitter execs know something that they don't want Musk to know? Is Musk banking on that information being revealed in court?

I think some people think Musk is a buffoon who has no idea what he's doing, but the success of SpaceX and Tesla tell me he knows a lot more than people may think. He's very intelligent (he taught himself orbital mechanics, after all), and this entire show may be orchestrated for an as-yet unseen purpose.

But, he also opens his mouth way too much. So, I don't know. I'm trying to set aside the emotional and personal issues with the man and think about the strategic moves. Is there actual strategy in what he's doing, or is he just playing games? Or is it a strategic game?

Like him or not, don't underestimate him.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-07-12, 19:13

Lots I want to say that I cannot. For now at least.