Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Pointer jumps with standard Apple mouse

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Pointer jumps with standard Apple mouse
ecs

2005-08-05, 05:30

Hi,

Because I'm quite new to the Mac, I don't know if this is a defect on my system, or a known issue in the standard Apple mouse (wired, the one that ships with new iMacs), or maybe it's caused by OSX:

From time to time, my mouse pointer jumps suddenly to the top menu of the screen. I believe it doesn't happen everyday, just a few times per week. And I think the "jump" happens when the mouse was quiet and I begin to move it, then I wonder "hey! where's the pointer?!?", and I always find it somewhere in the top of the screen. My mouse speed is set to 9, I don't know if this can be the cause, but lower settings require a lot of hand movement to navigate from "coast to coast" in a 20'' screen.

Anybody else experienced this too? With the Apple mouse, or with other mice too?
mooty

2005-08-05, 06:32

This happens to me with my Mighty Mouse on Windows XP... Probably just a driver problem for me though...
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-08-05, 09:21

I've noticed that over the past 2 days that my white apple 'pro' mouse occasionally jumps to one side of the screen or the other, when I am not even touching it.

Its really annoying.
JLL

2005-08-05, 09:34

Do you use your mice on a blank surface?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-08-05, 09:35

Or if it's used on a shiny wood grain I've seen them do this. If you put them on a mouse pad of some kind then test it out, see if it's normal.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
ecs

2005-08-05, 09:39

I forgot to tell that I changed my mousepad twice (and also tried the table surface), and the problem persisted (although it happens just a few times a week, as told above).
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2005-08-05, 09:41

My mouse is not on a shiny surface or wood grain (I have that problem at home with a black apple mouse).
I'm on a dull grey cheap ass desk.
Damn it, I'm typing away and all of a sudden the mouse moved to the left side of my screen and opened my dock all by itself. It was like an instant move, you could not watch it move.
Mr. X

2005-08-09, 11:32

So there is no solution to this? I've done searches all over google and Apple.com and have found nothing. I started having the same problem a couple of days ago (after about two months of using it). It's really annoying. I may use it as an excuse to get the Mighty Mouse, though.

My Mac--> iBook G4, 1.33 GHz w/ 80G HD & 1G RAM
My iPods--> 4G 60gb + Shuffle (512MB)
Retired--> iMac G3 DV SE, Original iPod w/ Scroll Wheel, iPod Shuffle (1G)
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2005-08-09, 11:41

Another 'interesting' problem I'm having is windows will suddenly move up on the screen a little bit.
This will happen out of nowhere. Its really annoying.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-08-09, 11:42

Why would getting a Mighty Mouse fix it? It almost certainly uses the exact same sensor the regular Apple Mouse uses. If you want to fix it, get a mouse from a different company... preferably a Logitech MX-series. Hell, if it's a real problem you can always look into getting a high-quality ball mouse like the Razer Boomslang. It won't have the same problems, it'll have different ones! Then again, it's designed for gamers so I'm guessing it's probably a very precise mouse.
Mr. X

2005-08-09, 11:55

I actually like the Apple Mouse if it weren't for that problem........but wait.........it appears as though it really was the wood surface of the desk. I've been using a binder for the last 30 minutes and it's working great.......OK, that's all it was........I just ordered a cool Apple mouse pad for $10 so I don't have to keep this binder on my desk.....problem solved.

Here's the mouse pad I ordered: Red Apple Mouse Pad

My Mac--> iBook G4, 1.33 GHz w/ 80G HD & 1G RAM
My iPods--> 4G 60gb + Shuffle (512MB)
Retired--> iMac G3 DV SE, Original iPod w/ Scroll Wheel, iPod Shuffle (1G)

Last edited by Mr. X : 2005-08-09 at 11:56.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-08-09, 11:56

Yeah, I have no idea why wood grain gives optical mice shit fits, but it really does.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2005-08-09, 12:56

I've also noticed that a badly kinked mouse cord (at least on 4 different mice I have owned) can cause a jumpy mouse.
mooty

2005-08-11, 04:35

im taking my new mighty mouse back today for a replacement as its jumping on both my PC and mac mini... I'll try a new surface later too if the new one bounces. Its currently on a LOTR mouse mat, so will try on a 1 color mat.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-08-11, 08:51

I'm so glad I paid $60 for an MX1000 instead of $50 on a Mighty Mouse. Real buttons (lots of them too!), wireless, and ultra-accurate laser tracking. It's not picky about surfaces at all. On the other hand, I've had optical mice get screwed up by mouse pads that have red markings.

Hmm... I wonder if any other companies will introduce laser tracking? So far there's just the one mouse by Logitech that uses it. I guess there are patent issues and companies like Razer, Kensington, and Microsoft are working their asses off to develop their own laser sensor.

Last edited by Luca : 2005-08-11 at 08:53.
JLL

2005-08-11, 09:43

Is the Mighty Mouse produced by Logitech just as the Pro Mouse is?
BenP

2005-08-11, 11:45

My Mighty Mouse is jumping too, but I can see it move. It's like I had flicked my wrist to move the pointer a few inches...except I didn't move.

I'm really getting to like it otherwise though and I don't want to return it.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-11, 12:18

My mighty mouse jumps every few minutes. It's beyond irritating. Otherwise I'm impressed with it. However, if the jumpiness continues it will be returned and I'm gonna buy one of those fancy Logitec MX1000 mice. I've grown attached to the multi button and scroll wheel thing.

Come waste your time with me
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-08-11, 12:55

ecs - just out of curiosity ... what was your uptime?

DMB - wrt the MX1000, if you go that way, you won't be disappointed. Here's a related thread.

Last edited by Mac+ : 2005-08-11 at 13:03. Reason: spelling
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-11, 12:59

I've heard nothing but great things about that mouse, that's why I'm looking into it so much. However, I need to see if I can return my Mighty Mouse first. It's flawed and it doesn't work well, so hopefully they'll take it back on those grounds. If I brought it to an Apple store would they have to replicate the problem for them to take it back for a refund?

<sigh> lowest price I can find on the MX1000 is nearly $70...I wasn't really interested in spending that much.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-08-11, 13:56

I'm running a really tight personal budget this year and I remember that it almost took half of my monthly budget back in April ... but I always fall back on this axiom:

"The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten." (or - buy once, buy well) [nods head sagely]
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-11, 14:00

Good point. The mighty mouse has been jumping around more than usual within the last hour or so. Methinks this thing is going back. I'm not happy.

Edit: Found MX1000 at newegg for $67. Gonna keep looking. As soon as I get this mighty mouse thing sorted out I'm gonna order the MX1000.

Edit #2: HOLY CRAP! I just found the MX1000 at Tiger Direct for $40 after rebates. I'd be stupid not to get this.

Anyone have tips for the best way to go about returning the Mighty Mouse? I bought it online, can I go into an Apple Store and return it, or will it be required to replicate the problem I've been having? Or should I call Apple first and see what I can do about this?

Last edited by DMBand0026 : 2005-08-11 at 14:07.
ecs

2005-08-11, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
ecs - just out of curiosity ... what was your uptime?
I shutdown the iMac everynight, so I don't have uptimes I can feel proud of

I'm currently using an old-fashioned blue Genius mousepad with my standard one-button, wired, Apple mouse. The problem persists, but, with my usual frequency, just a few times a week.

However, when it comes to use the mouse for precise painting, I'm still not 100% used to the Apple mouse: Some of my colleagues used to get shocked when they looked me drawing almost straight lines, by hand, with old Logitech mice (yeah, I admit it made me feel proud how they looked when I was drawing ). But now, I find it very hard to achieve that with Apple mice (specially for diagonal lines, or for circles or curves, it's hard for me to get the same results as with my old mice). Some people might suggest me to get a tablet, but I really like to be able to do precise drawing with the mouse.

Anyway, I'm still a bit annoyed by the pointer jumps issue, even if it just happens a few times per week.

I'd like to get a MightyMouse, but given its price I'm not sure if I want it given that some people are experiencing these jumps with it too.

Regarding that Logitech laser mouse, I found it in a shop, but I didn't like its MP3 buttons (play/rew/fwd/etc). Anyway, maybe it could be a good choice...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-08-11, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs
I shutdown the iMac everynight, so I don't have uptimes I can feel proud of
OK - sometimes a clean restart (freeing up memory, clearing cache etc.) will fix up any mouse problems ... I know that it has helped me in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs
Regarding that Logitech laser mouse, I found it in a shop, but I didn't like its MP3 buttons (play/rew/fwd/etc). Anyway, maybe it could be a good choice...
I think you might be confused ... the Logitech Media Player Cordless has the MP3 buttons, but it is not a Laser Mouse. The MX1000 is the Laser Mouse, but it does not have play buttons for media (although, perhaps with USB OverDrive X you could program it to function that way - I don't know.)
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-08-11, 15:35

The MX1000 doesn't have "MP3 buttons." All the buttons on it are fully customizable - the thumb has access to forward, back, and "quick switch" buttons, and the index finger has access to the up and down "cruise control" buttons. These are the names Logitech gives to them, and by default they're assigned to the functions of Internet Forward/Back (command right/left), Switch Application (command tab), and cruise up and down (steadily scrolls up or down when held), respectively. But you can assign them to whatever you want. I have my "quick switch" thumb button assigned to command-W, to close a window or a tab in Safari. My cruise control buttons are assigned to the keystroke used for changing tabs in Safari, so I don't have to hit command-shift-] or [ all the time.

Maybe you're thinking of the Media Play mouse, which requires Logitech's Windows software for all the special functions. That one does indeed have MP3 control buttons, and it's not very well supported on the Mac. It also doesn't have laser tracking.
Alexia

Send a message via AIM to Alexia  
2005-08-11, 23:18

Every single Logitech optical mouse I own(original blue optical, two MX510) has never had a problem with my glossy varnished wood grain desk.

The only button I customized on my mouse is the middle button, to be middle click, which it isn't by default.

I have heard great reviews about the MX1000, but I personally believe it to be over kill for regular desktop work. Logitech's "Fast RF" really isn't fast. There is noticeable lag, at least on the older MX700 mouse. However, I do love the updated forward/backwards buttons. The application switcher is a nice addition to them.
ecs

2005-08-12, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
The MX1000 doesn't have "MP3 buttons." [...] Maybe you're thinking of the Media Play mouse, which requires Logitech's Windows software for all the special functions. That one does indeed have MP3 control buttons, and it's not very well supported on the Mac. It also doesn't have laser tracking.
Yes, it's possible that I got confused about mice models... It's been two years since the last time I came to a shop for buying a mouse, and I was a bit shocked when I realized that current mice seem to have been designed for the spatial era ...designed like alien spaceships, plenty of rare buttons, and when I saw the MP3 buttons, I couldn't stand it and had to leave the shop running

I was tempted to say the salesman "hey, I just want a 3-button mouse, not an spaceship "
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-08-12, 12:48

Hmm, Logitech must have a damn nice sensor then. All the Apple, MS and Kensington mice I've ever used died with shiny surfaces. (like wood grain that's polished)

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me