Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Chasing Daylight - An exercise in composition

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Chasing Daylight - An exercise in composition
Jerman

2010-07-15, 21:57

Greetings all,

For the last few months I have been tackling a bit of a creative endeavor. For some time now I have wanted to branch out beyond guitar, singing, and basic piano skills and try my hand at electronic music. Finally got around to it and thought I would share a tune I am working on. You can check it out here:

http://www.jerstunes.com/early/Chasing_Daylight.mp3

I am sure there are MANY things on which I could improve, and this is not the final version by any means, but I hope you enjoy!

If you want to check out two others I did earlier on, let me know, and I'll share those as well.

PS - The song is 4 minutes long, not sure why it is saying 28 something. I am encoding these with the Lame plugin for Quicktime, and it seems to be misrepresenting the time. Very odd...

Last edited by Jerman : 2010-07-15 at 22:10. Reason: Better thread description
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-16, 12:18

Thanks for sharing.
Jerman

2010-07-16, 16:06

And thank you for listening!
solstace

2010-07-21, 16:14

Nice work, and nicely mixed too. Rare for composers to be able to mix their own sound so well. Care to explain how it was all put together? What equipment and/or software did you use?

"A computer once beat me at chess. It was however no match for me at kick-boxing." - Unknown
Blog
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-07-21, 16:45

Reason 4.0 is awesome software if you want to get into stuff like this. I use Reason from time to time and rewire it into Logic Pro 9. The Logic Studio box set also comes with some awesome plug-in's too that you can use.

Did you master it by chance? What software do you use? I'm fond of Izotope Ozone.

Overall good job man. Solid mixing job. Nice work on the drums too. It's hard to get those samples to sound so programed. Always enjoy hearing other musicians work.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Jerman

2010-07-21, 18:06

Thank you very much! On the mixing side, honestly I haven't done very much yet. I hope to do more, but I want to make sure the tune is finalized first. I did do some automation to keep the strings present at the proper times, etc.

I used Logic Pro for all of the instruments besides the orchestra and the percussion. For the percussion, I used the Steven Slate virtual instrument. SUCH amazing drum sounds. I also use his stuff for drum replacement on other songs. Sad to say, but all I did was a bit of bus compression and transient processing. His samples really do mix themselves!

The orchestral work was all done through East West Symphonic Orchestra Silver. I purchased it a month ago, as it is on sale for under 100 bucks. (It's usually 250).

I wish I could say the electric work was real, but at present I do not own an electric guitar, so I did everything on the keyboard through one of Logic's virtual instruments. I was surprised with how it turned out after I added several effects, etc.

As far as FX/plugins and all go, I did use Waves SSL 4000 EQ for some of the strings and other instruments, and used the Waves SSL compressor on the main bus along with Ozone to do some pseudo-mastering.
Jerman

2010-07-21, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Reason 4.0 is awesome software if you want to get into stuff like this. I use Reason from time to time and rewire it into Logic Pro 9. The Logic Studio box set also comes with some awesome plug-in's too that you can use.

Did you master it by chance? What software do you use? I'm fond of Izotope Ozone.

Overall good job man. Solid mixing job. Nice work on the drums too. It's hard to get those samples to sound so programed. Always enjoy hearing other musicians work.
Oh yeah, I would love to get into Reason. I remember using it on a friend's machine several years ago and found it pretty daunting, but I've used Logic and Pro Tools pretty extensively since then, so I'll have to mess around with it again.

I ran the song through Ozone. Recently got it so I am just learning how to use it. Would of course prefer to send off everything I do for *proper* mastering, but of course that gets expensive rather quickly. (Will actually be mastering a project I've been working on for a few years with Bob Katz in the next few months...)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-07-22, 16:04

Yeah, Reason has a steep learning curve. There's so much going on in that program and you can do so much with it. I don't particularly care for their drum sequencer program though. I love the one that comes in Logic.

Ozone is a great mastering program. Like you said, I send off all the serious work but I've been practicing a lot with mixing and mastering. It's a fun hobby.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey