User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Disney to buy Pixar? Update: Yes, it's official.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Disney to buy Pixar? Update: Yes, it's official.
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-01-19, 09:28

Apparently, Disney and Pixar are engaged in "serious" talks about Disney buying Pixar in a stock transaction.

Disney and Pixar in Talks

This would make Steve Jobs the biggest individual shareholder in Disney, and his shares woudl be worth about $3.4 billion.

If it happens, maybe more Disney content on iTunes? Such as more ESPN material?

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-01-19, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk
Apparently, Disney and Pixar are engaged in "serious" talks about Disney buying Pixar in a stock transaction.

Disney and Pixar in Talks

This would make Steve Jobs the biggest individual shareholder in Disney, and his shares would be worth about $3.4 billion.

If it happens, maybe more Disney content on iTunes? Such as more ESPN material?
ABC (Disney) was already the first on board, Iger is very eager to exploit new revenue streams for the Disney warhorses and new product as well. Remember he took a bunch of flack for thinking that releasing DVD the same time the film is in the theater was an idea worth exploring.
Jobs loves Disney, and they could use the same kind of shake up that Eisner brought to Disney before he slipped into his paranoiac despotic ways.

God can you imagine Epcot and Disney if they had someone visionary behind it? Disney stock has treaded water after 9-11 hovering the low 20's for years now.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-01-19, 10:22

This brings up the will Steve become CEO of Disney arguments again...

EDIT : I just had a thought. Disney buying Pixar is almost a M$ buys Apple scenario in some ways... But in this case would it mean that Steve actually takes over the giant. Cool!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-01-19, 10:28

Heh, sort of like Apple "buying" NeXT back in '96?
SKMDC

2006-01-19, 10:35

I doubt he wants to be CEO, but I'm sure he would love being on the board.
Plus he really likes Bob Iger.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-01-19, 10:41

Yeah. Probably. Plus he'd be stretched too thin.

It's really cool though, and an obvious need as Disney really is playing second fiddle to Pixar. All of it's (obvious) attempts to take them on has just shown how out of touch with the humour and developement of Cartoons into a dual medium for adults and children.

I'm not saying Disney's efforts weren't good. They were. But just not that polished, slick, contemporary feel of Pixar. When I watch Pixar movies the colour and style of the overall images makes me think of OS X. Don't know why, and it's more than just a sub-concious link to the obvious Pixar - Apple - Jobs, "thing".

I think Pixar should buy Disney. But then they don't really need them.

It will of course also benefit Apple with more indirect profile increase.

Damn good show all round, I say!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
SKMDC

2006-01-19, 11:14

The thing about Disney is Eisner literally resuscitated them in the 80's and spent 10 years turning them into a lustrous company again, his second decade Disney started calcifying again, losing it's edge, Pixar helped reduce it somewhat, but the tenuous relationship kept Disney from exploiting Pixar in their Parks.

True story:
I was in one of the hotels, and I wanted to use my laptop. (so I could communicate to applenova, no doubt) And the guy at the front desk actually said to me, "we have data ports on all the phones!" he said it with excitement in his voice.
I'm like do you even have an office area with WiFi or something, and he looked at me like I was a martian saying, "Take me to your leader."
I should note this was a room that was 250 a night!

This year we stayed at a newer hotel that advertised WiFi in the hotel, In the room? no. you could connect via LAN port, but it was hopelessly slow and cost 10 bucks a day......did I mention this the room was $400 a day?
Again I went to the desk and asked about the WiFi and it was, lobby only, $5 an hour and equally slow.

Don't the realize that Wireless access in all the rooms could be like having a concierge right in the room and allow you be more efficiently fleeced when you go out into the parks?

That's just one aspect of Disney that needs updating, and when I say something to people about it, the comment is "poor little davy couldn't use his computer, so he's upset."
But it's emblematic of Disney's inability to grow in the last few years.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-01-19, 12:32

It's a very interesting situation and the rumors are likely true. It's my belief that most rumors, when widely reported have a significant basis in truth. Even Apple rumors, there are so many but in the end the real info is out there, it's just which you choose to believe.

Disney likely is trying to buy Pixar. It would have immediate benefits for them.

Pixar on the otherhand, or Steve for that matter, I just can't see wanting to be sold. Even to Disney. Pixar is only growing at an accelerating pace. They have a wonderful culture and tradition. Terrific talent. And it's not poisoned by the bullshit that Disney productions are.

People may think Steve Jobs wants to be a bigger player, and be on the board or be ceo of Disney. But I doubt it. His baby is Apple. He's getting older. Clearly Pixar has never been his primary focus. It was basically an investment for him. He has a vision of what Apple should be and it's finally playing out. He's finally seeing massive success and popularity. I don't think he needs Disney anymore.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-01-19, 12:46

The only thing Pixar needs from Disney is distribution.

Disney animated films used to be cool, now they're stale, old and busted... Pixar is the new hotness.

Pixar is perceived as edgy and modern... Disney is still a dinosaur, stodgy and restrictive with its IP and licensing rules, and notorious for not treating employees well. I know plenty of ex-staffers who say "you never want to work for the rat" (ie: Mickey). I know of nobody who's ever even left Pixar once hired.

Why would Pixar want to suffer by association just for an old brand's name recognition?
scrouds

2006-01-19, 12:49

I've been hearing the rumors of Disney buying pixar for a while. The other thing i hear is that Jobs would become chairman of the company, since Disney needs one.
SKMDC

2006-01-19, 13:04

Most of the people at Pixar came from Disney, love Disney, (the are still animators for god sake) but had problems with Eisner and his disrespect for them. I think they would be pleased to be back in the Disney fold knowing that Iger is a good guy, and Jobs would have their back on the Board.
Plus Disney is going to exploit Pixar, it was in the original deal, with Pixar being part of Disney you can be rest assured that you won't see a Direct to DVD Incredibles or something else horrific, that was bound to happen if Pixar went out on their own.

You can look it up I said ages ago Pixar would never leave Disney. But Jobs got Eisner ousted before he would recommit or as it looks now sell them.

Here's an interesting note:
It's not done for publicity, but to give a newbie a first-hand experience of Disney, but if you get elevated to a senior executive position or Board Member you have to do a shift inside a costume at a park. It's a hard rule. which character should Mr. Jobs choose?

scrouds

2006-01-19, 13:11

I suggest he become a pirate merchandise host for a day. He'll be happy to know the registers run XP :P
¡Damned!

2006-01-19, 13:11

I think he'd go for the obvious Apple reference: Tigger
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-01-19, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
Here's an interesting note:
It's not done for publicity, but to give a newbie a first-hand experience of Disney, but if you get elevated to a senior executive position or Board Member you have to do a shift inside a costume at a park. It's a hard rule. which character should Mr. Jobs choose?
At first I thought...

or or

then I thought

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2006-01-19 at 13:22.
SKMDC

2006-01-19, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrouds
I suggest he become a pirate merchandise host for a day. He'll be happy to know the registers run XP :P
You misunderstand, you have to be a character, Mickey, Goofy, Chip (or Dale, you can tell by the nose, Chip told me that, or was it Dale) Because it's effect on the costume wearer is said to be transcendental. You have these kids looking at you as if you're the embodiment of magic.

scrouds

2006-01-19, 13:18

You realize that it would be dependent on what costumes he could fit into, right?
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-01-19, 13:26

None of the costumes currently feature jeans and a black mock turtleneck either.
SKMDC

2006-01-19, 18:44

Jobs bought Pixar from George Lucas for 10 million. His 50% share is now worth 3.5 Billion
Boy Howdy.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-01-20, 13:03

I hope this doesn't happen.

Pixar = teh good

Disney = teh not so good
SKMDC

2006-01-20, 16:12

What are you going to say when Steve Jobs is the Chairman of the Walt Disney Company?

Arguably making him the most powerful man in the entertainment business. The head of Apple, & Disney which includes ABC (including 9 owned & operated stations), 28 radio stations, ESPN & part ownership of A&E, the History Channel, Lifetime and E cable networks, Hyperion Books, Walt Disney Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, Miramax Films, a Dozen magazines, 6 newspapers, a Hockey team, the greatest Theme Park chain in the world, Resorts, a cruise line, Broadway Productions........

What part of Disney is "teh not so good"? A bunch of shitty movies in the sixties and the worst record company in the music business, other than that it's a pretty decent company.
And now they'll have Pixar.
The Disney Board is meeting monday.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2006-01-20, 16:48

All that you listed are good reasons why Jobs may have no interest in being Disney's CEO. He loves technology, loves Pixar, probably doesn't have a whole lot of interest in the Broadway shows, the cruise line, the hockey team, etc. Disney is a holding congolomerate, and I tend to think he wouldn't want to get bogged down in that or be involved only in a very general way.
scrouds

2006-01-20, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
All that you listed are good reasons why Jobs may have no interest in being Disney's CEO. He loves technology, loves Pixar, probably doesn't have a whole lot of interest in the Broadway shows, the cruise line, the hockey team, etc. Disney is a holding congolomerate, and I tend to think he wouldn't want to get bogged down in that or be involved only in a very general way.
WHo said he would be CEO?
SKMDC

2006-01-20, 17:36

It's being talked about seriously, the Pixar thing looks like a done deal.
He would become the largest shareholder of Disney stock.
I can't see him doing both, too much conflict of interest.
He will definitely join Disney's board, and Disney needs a Chairman as George Mitchell is past retirement age and has steered Disney through the Eisner Fiasco. (he took over chairmanship when Eisner was ousted.)

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-01-20, 21:21

At the end of the day he will be the majority share holder. So it doesn't really matter what 'badge' he has. He will be in charge. Good show. I think it is quite likely he will become chairman, but that is really moot.

What is fantastic is the way, out of the blue, Steve is now in such a strong position in the media. To quote my wife he appears to have "Woshambolad" M$ and quite a few other companies.

In the upcoming Media war he has just unveiled his Weapon of Mass Assimilation, and an interface which will enable him to plug us all into the RDF.. Great news!

SKMDC

2006-01-20, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
At the end of the day he will be the majority share holder. So it doesn't really matter what 'badge' he has. He will be in charge. Good show. I think it is quite likely he will become chairman, but that is really moot.
Depends on your definition of majority, At Pixar he owned 50.1% of the stock so he was the boss.
At Disney he might have 6%, the next nearest is Shrek, er, I mean Eisner with just under 2%. After that is Roy Disney with 1%.
I guess the Board is kind of nervous, a lot of them are old guard and Iger already has them on pins, add Jobs to the pot and I'll bet they are are some anxious people on the board.

But that is a BIG distinction, Disney has a strong young CEO, Bob Iger, who Jobs obviously likes very much, so even if he was Board Chairman, he wouldn't have to have the same visibility that Eisner had.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2006-01-20, 22:59

Chairman, CEO, whatever. I don't think he wants the job and people are getting hyped up that he does.
SKMDC

2006-01-20, 23:05

no one has said CEO.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-01-20, 23:25

Ever hear of the Peter Principle? The theory that people who excel in their field are ultimately promoted to one notch above their skills/abilities? It's like having the best mechanic in the shop given a raise to the position of manager, a job that he's neither skilled at nor driven to perform.

One aspect of Disney that has fascinated me in recent years is their resort business, specifically the themed hotels. Did you know that these are designed and built by enormous architecture firms like EDAW? Despite the popular notion that Disney has armies of engineers and architects squirreled away in hi-tech design facilities, the truth is they use fairly conventional design and construction methodologies and benefit from using firms with the ability to pull off the design and construction of large-scale developments.

So I'm not so surprised when Mr. S.K. Monkey Death Car pays $250/night for a room with dial-up. The Imagineers are surely spread thin these days, and in a 21st Century culture of cost-engineering (removing all the cool-but-expensive details during the design phase) the Disney Company may not elect to be an industry leader where amenities are concerned. For gosh sakes, they've already arranged to have a lagoon shuttle pick guests up at the awning so you can ride over into EPCOT in style... what's this "wiffy" thing you're asking about??

Sell Pixar?
At some point it's bound to happen. Pixar could establish its own marketing arm but Disney could ensure a legacy for the characters... assuming you believe that Disney is the same rock-solid company it was 30 years ago.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2006-01-20, 23:49

People are saying Chairperson, to which I submit the same argument that he may well not want to be Chairperson of a cruiseline/musical/sports/TV/radio/newspaper conglomerate.

I have to say some people seem a bit thick to my meaning or else they're just trying to pick on my CEO/Chair faux pax, to which I would say, have your fun, kiddies.
SKMDC

2006-01-21, 00:06

Sorry man, it's just being on the board doesn't take much work, I mean Al Gore does it.
And being Chairman doesn't take that much more if you have a CEO that you trust and get on well with.

The point is Disney is LOOKING for a new Chairman.

I really didn't mean to offend you. sorry.