Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Smart iTunes Store, like last.fm

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Smart iTunes Store, like last.fm
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2006-02-27, 21:17

I use a service called last.fm. Ever heard of it? I have an application running in my menu bar that tracks what songs I listen to. It sends the data to last.fm. After a few weeks of listening, patterns grow and the information only becomes more accurate over time. I can see the top artits I listen to, top tracks of the week, tons of fascinating data.

Apple could do this better. "Just For You" could be just this. iTunes could keep a record of the music you play and when and upload that data to the iTMS. I think it would be only logical if iTunes only did this for purchased music. "Just For You" would be almost perfect, comparing your favorite songs to other people's. You could goto an artist's page and it'll say "Youv'e bought x songs from x album". Other people that like those songs bought..."

You could view your data online, charts, graphs and things of that sort. iTunes could even notice trends in your listening. If you listened to Yellowcard for awhile and then stopped, when they came out with new tracks, that would be the ones they'd recommend to you.

iTunes could even notice genre listening trends and accept anomalies in them. For instance, just because I like the soundtrack to Garden State doesn't mean I like soundtracks in general. Does that make sense?

Also, if you think about it, no one usually likes all songs from an artist. Let's say that my most played album from Green Day was 'Dookie' not 'American Idiot'. iTunes would recognize this and recommend other people with the same tastes. Cuz it's almost embarrassing that sinec almost everyone bought Blvd. of Broken Dreams, Kelly Clarkson appears in my recommended list. That's just not right... not right at all.

It wouldn't just track what you buy, it'll track how much you listen to it! I think that would be amazing! What do you think?
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-02-27, 21:20

Interesting idea. Kind of like this:

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...+music+stor e
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-27, 21:22

There are lots of privacy concerns with this. There was an outcry when Apple added the "Mini Store" to iTunes that would show related stuff to what you were currently listening to - without retaining information, or doing profiling. So there would have to be some process that would ensure that you understood what data you were giving away when using this, and even then would it leave a bad aftertaste with many people.

It's a good idea in principle, but kind of intrusive. It would be better to leave that to other services, like last.fm or pandora.
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2006-02-27, 21:24

I agree, but it would be optional. I would use it. What's to hide! It's my music. I've found LOTS of great bands through "Just For You". I think this could make it a whole lot better.

Naturally, the option would be off by default. But a setup window would pop up when you first launched the upgrade and ask you if you wanted to use it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-02-27, 21:25

Since Last.fm has already gotten pretty big, I'd rather be able to to interact with Last.fm directly from iTunes, rather than through iScrobbler. For instance, I'd like to be able to tag songs in iTunes, rather than find them on Last.fm.

My Last.fm profile is in my signature.
MINK

2006-02-28, 05:50

My "most played" list in iTunes isn't really very representative of what I like. Most of the time I don't play my favourite music because music wears out.

Nothing beats having FRIENDS if you want to get good music recommendations.