Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Verizon "Opens Network" to 3rd Party Devices

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Verizon "Opens Network" to 3rd Party Devices
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-27, 12:17

Not clear on it but seems this paves the way (by end of next year) for iPhones to be used on Verizon's network, which is exactly what I am hoping for. Once iPhone part deux is out, and hopefully the price has dropped a bit on account of competition, by that time I have been hoping Verizon would be a possibility as it's what I use.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/11...izon/index.php

...into the light of a dark black night.
rasmits
rams it

2007-11-27, 12:20

What? I don't even understand how that would work.

Is this Verizon trying to compete with GSM's obviously far superior SIM card technology?

Sounds like PR speak for: "We know CDMA sucks, so we're going to try and make it a little better."

You had me at asl
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-11-27, 12:24

CDMA has better coverage though.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-11-27, 12:42

What a waste of an article. It doesn't even begin to explain WTF Verizon is talking about. Are they saying they'll bridge various standards such as GSM to their own network? Are they saying their cellphone towers will receive just about anything (how in the world is that supposed to work?)?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-11-27, 12:50

It's clear the phone industry is heading for a little bump in the road, and has a lot of growing up to do.. Much like it's landline ancestors - who still have not really learnt anything.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2007-11-27, 12:57

From what I understand CDMA and GSM are two entirely different technologies akin to the difference between AM and FM radio (maybe even more different?) How would it be possible to run a GSM handset (iPhone) on a CDMA network?

This would be absolutely great if that's what it meant, that way I could stay with Verizon (a carrier that I love for their service but hate for their pricing and restrictions on operating systems and handsets) but have infinitely more possibilities.

Come waste your time with me
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-11-27, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
From what I understand CDMA and GSM are two entirely different technologies akin to the difference between AM and FM radio (maybe even more different?) How would it be possible to run a GSM handset (iPhone) on a CDMA network?

This would be absolutely great if that's what it meant, that way I could stay with Verizon (a carrier that I love for their service but hate for their pricing and restrictions on operating systems and handsets) but have infinitely more possibilities.
Its possible, there is no GSM in Canada (only CDMA from what I've heard) but Rogers uses GSM phones only. Some kind of bridging technology, I guess.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-11-27, 13:07

Somebody posted a link here some time ago about a company that offers dual-standard cell tower transceivers. I'm sure Verizon has a lot of money invested in cell towers, and expanding their capabilities would make a lot of sense.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-11-27, 13:09

Chucker's right. The article had no substance. Nary, it had negative substance, if such thing is possible.

That said, those things stuck out to me:

1) They will "approve" the devices for the use on network. Exactly what does that mean?

2) They will still use CDMA network, but are "looking" at standard. This makes me think this is PRspeak for "we acknowledge GSM's existence, but this is totally irrelevant here."

That said, I really wish every and each PR people will grow a spine and tell it like it is.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-11-27, 13:32

Here's a rather detailed article on ArsTechnica. It will still be CDMA, but they will publish the specs and develop a test procedure to approve devices. Looks like a good idea to me, and since they don't have to do any work to their network, it will be a quick and easy roll-out.

I guess they simply want to get out of the business of messing up the phones themselves, since they won't be able to compete with other companies that way in the longer run. Also, they may be interested in more than just the voice services, and looking at more always-connected devices like the Kindle.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2007-11-27, 13:50

So this means GSM devices will still be unable to connect to Verizon's network? I'm not up on the technical lingo of cell phone carriers so I'm not entirely sure what this all means.

Come waste your time with me
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-11-27, 13:58

For those predicting a CDMA iPhone? Don't hold your breath. It just isn't practical.

Additionally, I give it 5 years before Verizon has at least started the switch to GSM.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-11-27, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
So this means GSM devices will still be unable to connect to Verizon's network? I'm not up on the technical lingo of cell phone carriers so I'm not entirely sure what this all means.
As far as I can tell, all this really means is that Verizon's phones will no longer have the crappy OS that they've installed on all of their phones to cripple features like Bluetooth file transfer.

Since GSM and CDMA are two different networks, this announcement means nothing as far as GSM phones being used on Verizon's network.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-11-27, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
As far as I can tell, all this really means is that Verizon's phones will no longer have the crappy OS that they've installed on all of their phones to cripple features like Bluetooth file transfer.
Mmm, I suppose thats actually a good thing. I guess Verizon figured out (in the wake of the iPhone, most likely) that they should leave UI design to, well, UI designers.

Although if the Voyager is any indication of their new direction.... eep.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-27, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post

Since GSM and CDMA are two different networks, this announcement means nothing as far as GSM phones being used on Verizon's network.

Bogus. I was worried it might be too good to be true. All of our Verizon phones the last 3 years have had the 3G/CDMA sticker on them FWIW. Part of it is this system apparently lets them cover larger areas / remote areas more effectively than GSM. One of the reasons we switched to Verizon was the crappy reception our Cingular / AT&T phones got in different parts of the Chicago service area (which is huge). Verizon's reception has been very good almost everywhere we go.

I guess it's a compromise. Get the better phones and features on the other network, get the better coverage (which is important for where I live) on Verizon. Still, I don't look forward to the day I'm typing emails on my phone. I like to keep it simple as much as possible with cell phones. I just realize that's the way the technology is headed, and the photo and email features of the iPhone would also be useful to me in some business situations. My solution for now would be to carry an iPod Touch and a cell.

To be honest I tried browsing on the iPod touch the other day and was not impressed. It's a somewhat arduous process, even though the UI is very clever and simple.

...into the light of a dark black night.