Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Possible Causes for Frequent "Crash on Quit" Issues

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Possible Causes for Frequent "Crash on Quit" Issues
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-01-09, 13:45

I am noticing, despite my drive checking out with TechTool and Drive Utility, that apps from all different developers seem to be crashing when I used Command-Q to quit them. MS apps, Adobe apps, all kinds of stuff. Crashes during use are much less common - occasionally Entourage 2004 and Excel 2004 crap out on me mid-work-session (using latest 10.5 build)... any idea what might cause this if not a drive failure? I also thought maybe a bad RAM chip but those seemed to check out OK too.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2009-01-09, 13:53

See if they're leaving log entries. Also, look at the crash trace that pops up.

Are *all* apps affected, or just most? Are any of Apple's apps doing it?
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2009-01-09, 14:02

Just as a guess. it sounds like crashes when it can't close or update a file somewhere or somehow. That could be due to being unable to write to a dir or file that it should. Is this happening when you use the menu to quit them too?

I'd look at permissions. I might even repair permissions, just 'cause.

real hackers don't use sigs
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-01-09, 15:02

Dave: they do leave crash log entries but I'm not a programmer so I can't interpret what I'm seeing.

Taskiss: yep, I've tried that a couple times but alas no joy. I am fearing that I may have to do the horrible and inevitable: re-format and re-install every damn thing on my system.

...into the light of a dark black night.